Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Gorgon Worth It Now For Corpus Killing?

gaurdianaq

I don't know why you keep trying to bait me into build arguments. It doesn't matter.

Thank you for the spreadsheet. It's an excellent tool and things like this always help a community. Genuinely. Thank you. 

You're going way too far with how you're using it though, especially if we're going to talk about new players. You need to show them the system and how to build their own weapons and what to look for based on dev intent that they're continually balancing around, not min-max against one resist profile using the best outliers equipped with 8/8 mods for damage and tell everyone who will listen about how everything else is inferior.

I brought up the Soma vs Gorgon math because of posts like these: 

the gorgon has seen new light its a much more effective killer against corpus than the soma now

I was trying to assert that this was incorrect.

Soma has terrible impact damage. Gorgon is impact heavy. Apples and oranges.

I was trying to assert that despite having low impact, it still performed well against shields.

Soma has a base of 1 impact damage now. Even with crit build, the impact is lacking greatly.

Yes, the gorgon is very worth it now if you enjoy using heavy machine rifles.

I was trying to assert that it was irrelevant whether or not it had high impact because mods could do even better.

There's been some myth floating around for some unknown reason that the Gorgon is better than the Soma now.  I don't know where it came from, but I've been trying to squelch it, all the while open to the possibility of my math being wrong.

I wasn't trying to goad you into an argument; from my perspective, you were already trying to argue that I was incorrect and/or had mis-represented data.  You suggested that what information I gave was both incorrect in its intended circumstance and even were it correct, irrelevant in the situation I used it as evidence.  I responded by saying that my information was correct and that it was relevant.  I then proceeded to perform the math that I'd not bothered to do before because I knew it would yield the same result.

We're not talking about new players though.  The Soma's been out for a while now and has a Mastery of 6, so you could safely assume that anyone with that time in the game should have the two differentiating mods: Point Strike and Vital Sense.

I never asserted that the Soma was the standard of the game or that it should be.  People suggested that Gorgon > Soma and I brought up the math to show that Soma > Gorgon.  Could I have been nicer about it?  Absolutely, but it was the third thread I'd seen in the past half-hour that had people talking about Gorgon > Soma and I was getting rather tired of it.  The main things that pushed me to get my spreadsheet out so fast was the Brakk issue and the discussions of Soma vs Gorgon.  Otherwise, it probably would have been another month.

The whole reason I posted was to correct people that were suggesting that Gorgon > Soma and that the Gorgon's high impact made a larger difference than it did.  I'm not trying to "tell everyone that will listen."  I'm trying to stop people from having false views on the subject.  I know I hate finding that I have false views, especially after holding them for an extended period or telling others about it, so I figure others are likely the same way.  I could and should have been gentler about it though and I'm sorry for that.

when modded, the weapons have the following burst DPS...

Gorgon vs Shield: 14k

Gorgon vs Robotic: 17k

Gorgon vs Flesh: 16k

Soma vs Shield: 22k

Soma vs Robotic: 23k

Soma vs Flesh: 21k

Soma > Gorgon against Corpus

And if you want the other stats...

Soma burst DPS before resistances: 19k

Gorgon burst DPS before resistances: 14k

Soma sustained DPS before resistances: 11k

Gorgon sustained DPS before resistances: 7k

Soma average damage per shot: 801

Gorgon average damage per shot: 608

Soma > Gorgon in all cases.

my math

If you want to compare Supra and Soma, it's much closer with Supra barely winning in all categories having to do with burst DPS except shield DPS in which it loses.  The Soma has much better sustained DPS though.

Soma i guess crits that high and that is not the flat damage

The DPS I give is based on averaged damage, so a 10% crit chance to deal 200% damage gets turned into a multiplier of 110% on average which is what I use in my calculations.  Does that answer your question?

The DPS I give is based on averaged damage, so a 10% crit chance to deal 200% damage gets turned into a multiplier of 110% on average which is what I use in my calculations.  Does that answer your question?

That means i am correct?

There's been some myth floating around for some unknown reason that the Gorgon is better than the Soma now.  I don't know where it came from, but I've been trying to squelch it, all the while open to the possibility of my math being wrong.

Your reaction does make more sense now, and I see that the OP did directly compare it to the Soma himself. It just frustrates me that throughout the game's short history the community has felt consistently tunnel visioned on a few of the high end weapons, then you get threads where people whine that they spent Forma / Catalysts / Plat on a weapon and it was nerfed, and threads where people lament that their favorite weapon is 'weak' because it's not on par with them.

For players to continue to play and enjoy the game from patch to patch, they are going to need to understand the game directly and pursue their goals in reasonable directions rather than start from the back end picking the currently OP weapons to spend all their time on. Lets be realistic here. If the Soma gets nerfed, what would you still expect it to be good at as an AR with a huge base mag, decent base reload, primary slash and secondary puncture? - I can't bring myself to recommend that weapon to people for Corpus just because it's imbalanced right now.

/derail off