Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Dreams

Styros

A hiss turned her head, and she saw him standing in the doorway to her meditation room. His face was stoic, but his eyes were weary. Even as his body maintained the appearance of being as ready as a coiled spring, something in his demeanor wanted for sleep. She stood up and turned to him.

"I didn't interrupt, did I?" he asked, voice haggard with exhaustion.

"No," she replied. "My meditations were ten minutes ago. Come in."

"I'm coming to you because I trust you."

"You always say that."

"I need to reaffirm it each time." He walked over to her. She motioned for him to take a seat across from her, on the other side of a table. With a tap, the memory metal of the table morphed a pair of teacups for them. Before separating from the table, each cup generated a hole through which hot green tea boiled up from a brewer beneath the furniture. Each cup moved to a person, and after a silent prayer they each sipped.

"I had the dream again," he said after several minutes of silence.

"That's tremendous luck," she said. "Most of us still haven't dreamed since our reawakenings. I haven't."

"If I could, I wouldn't dream again," he said. "The dread I felt this time was even worse than before."

"Tell me about it."

"Promise me you won't tell the Lotus. I'm not sure if I should yet."

"I promise."

He sighed and bent his head. Eyes closed, to remember.

"I saw something this time. It's not clear, but it has an outline, at least. I want to call it... Mastodon."

"Mastodon?"

"An creature that walked millions of years before the Orokin. But this is just a name we gave to this...thing. A mastodon is a beast, fur, legs, tusks. But this thing... it had legs, but they held a mountain above them."

"A mountain on legs?"

"Yes," he said, brow furrowing as he delved deeper into memory. "Lights all along its body, with several very large ones on what I think is the front of it. Not entirely sure yet, but they may be eyes.... there are tusks, or maybe horns. They're not bone, but barrels, vomiting shells over me. I'm running towards it..." he paused.

"Like a child to a parent?"

"No," he frowned. "I have my sword in my hand."

"Your sword?"

"Yes," he said. "Not like now, the clunky way we try to modify our weapons. Back then we had our own weapons, tailored precisely to our bodies. My sword... I look down at it. I can't tell what it says, but there's writing on it. It makes me feel at ease- I think I etched war prayers into it. That's only a guess, though.

"I look back up, and it's almost on top of me. It was far away before. I hear a noise, something like a roar, and then I wake up."

"Do you think it's a memory of the Old War?" she asked. She immediately felt she had overstepped a boundary, but if he was bothered by it, he didn't say.

"Maybe," he said. "The dread I feel up until the moment I look at my weapon...it's not from the Mastodon. I think it's from something else. Maybe from my rebirth in the Void, I don't know..." He opened his eyes and looked up. "Talking about it makes me feel better, though. Thank you for listening."

"It's a pleasure," she said, smiling.

"I don't know if I want to know more," he said, looking up at her. "I know you think it's important, but it's torture to me."

She gave him a look to let him know she cared. "If you do keep dreaming, I hope your feelings in them change for the better."

-----------------

That's all I got, I kind of just ad-lib as it jumps into my head. Sounded good at the time, don't blame me if you hate it #olliesout