The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's Up? I'm New! (And In Need Of Some Direction)

Li0nheart666

Hey, Tenno. New guy here. What's going on? I played all of the first planet's missions (what was it, Venus or whatever?) and it's a sick game, badass concept, all that jazz, but there's one thing about this game that still kinda confuses me. The leveling system. Whats up with the Mastery Rank tests and why is the first one so hard? When missions say the enemies are level 17-20, for example, how do I know if I can handle them if I'm still Mastery Rank 0? Even if my rifle is level 9 and my side arm is level 6, does that mean neither of my weapons will have much of an effect?

Also, Why can't I buy any guns without platinum? Am I stuck to the first rifle and side arm for the whole game unless I wanna shell out some cash? How would I get platinum without spending IRL cash I don't have?

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be following this topic, which I assume means I'll be alerted if someone replies, so I'll be replying back.

Your Mastery Rank is a representation of how many guns and characters you have leveled up, the more levels you go up the more the bar fills up. The level next to a mission has nothing to do with that :) that is an indication of the level of the enemies.

The starting weapons won't be very good in the level 17-20 area (or anything above) so you have to buy some weapon blueprints. Go to the market, then "WEAPONS", then select Primary Blueprints in the bottom left to see available weapons. Some weapons will have XP LOCKED under them, this means you have to increase your mastery rank to get them :)

Also, in the loadout screen, if you select "equip" when hovering your mouse over the MK1 Braton, you can buy the regular Braton, which is a more powerful gun. When you do this with your secondary weapon I advise not to buy the aklato. It's just as bad as the regular lato. Instead, go to the market > weapons > secondary blueprints and pick one there. Most of them are quite good.

When you have bought a blueprint you have to go to the Foundry to craft that weapon. That's the icon next to the market. there you can see your blueprints and you can craft the weapon, provided you have the required materials.

Also, have you used any Platinum yet? I suggest you keep it until you need it. The only things you should spend it on are Weapon and Warframe slots (since you can't craft an unlimited amount of weapons, you have to buy slots), and also maybe an Orokin Catalyst or Reactor. These become very useful later in the game. You can get them for free, but they are really hard to come by.

Edited by Stuifiee

Your Mastery Rank is a representation of how many guns and characters you have leveled up, the more levels you go up the more the bar fills up. The level next to a mission has nothing to do with that :) that is an indication of the level of the enemies.

The starting weapons won't be very good in the level 17-20 area (or anything above) so you have to buy some weapon blueprints. Go to the market, then "WEAPONS", then select Primary Blueprints in the bottom left to see available weapons. Some weapons will have XP LOCKED under them, this means you have to increase your mastery rank to get them :)

Also, in the loadout screen, if you select "equip" when hovering your mouse over the MK1 Braton, you can buy the regular Braton, which is a more powerful gun. When you do this with your secondary weapon I advise not to buy the aklato. It's just as bad as the regular lato. Instead, go to the market > weapons > secondary blueprints and pick one there. Most of them are quite good.

When you have bought a blueprint you have to go to the Foundry to craft that weapon. That's the icon next to the market. there you can see your blueprints and you can craft the weapon, provided you have the required materials.

Thanks, bro-mang. And I'm guessing to hunt materials you just gotta' go to the planets that advertise them, kill the enemies and pick it up (like the Ferrite)?

Also, you need some key mods... Redirection boosts your shields.  I didn't find one of them until the 30 hour mark.  Serration boosts your rifle damage.  109 hours here.  As soon as you max out a few items to Affinity 30, your account will be Mastery 2, and I am pretty sure you can trade with people at that point.  

If you hit me up in game, I will straight up GIVE you a serration and redirection.  If you want to give me a fusion core, cool, if you want to unload a useless ammo drum, that's fine too.  Seriously, ANYTHING.

I just can't in good conscience force a new player to go through the hell I had to suffer with.

If you don't already, I can hook you up with a clan. I like playing with new players over experienced ones because then it's actually challenging. But if you ever need any help getting anything or need a taxi to a boss or whatevs, hit me up. username is piece5. Welcome to warframe broski.

Also, you need some key mods... Redirection boosts your shields.  I didn't find one of them until the 30 hour mark.  Serration boosts your rifle damage.  109 hours here.  As soon as you max out a few items to Affinity 30, your account will be Mastery 2, and I am pretty sure you can trade with people at that point.  

If you hit me up in game, I will straight up GIVE you a serration and redirection.  If you want to give me a fusion core, cool, if you want to unload a useless ammo drum, that's fine too.  Seriously, ANYTHING.

I just can't in good conscience force a new player to go through the hell I had to suffer with.

You cant trade until mastery 2. he's gonna have to suffer a little bit more.

I just started the game yesterday and I am hooked. This post is helpful as I am pretty clueless how things work. But as I play it is starting to make more sense. I guess I got super lucky the first card that dropped for me was redirection. I assume this is a great card to improve with a fusion core?

I just started the game yesterday and I am hooked. This post is helpful as I am pretty clueless how things work. But as I play it is starting to make more sense. I guess I got super lucky the first card that dropped for me was redirection. I assume this is a great card to improve with a fusion core?

There are 2 redirection mods one of them is for warframes and one is for sentinals if I remember the drop tables correctly you probably got the sentinal version. the warframe mod is one of the most important mods in the game the sentinal mod is also one of the must have mods but you will not need it until you get to the planets past earth or spend platinum on a sentinal they are both worth ranking up but make sure you dont rank up the sentinal version until you have a sentinal

Nope, you did good upgrading the Redirection.  As it turns out, DE redid the tutorial.  Now, all new player get a redirection at the start.  Which boy lemme tell you, is a bleeding good idea, because when I first saw mine, I was WAY THE HECK past the freaking tutorial, and it was like seeing a wild flock of unicorns frolicking in fields of... golden.. pieces... of gold... or something.

You cant trade until mastery 2. he's gonna have to suffer a little bit more.

Which is why I said:

Edited by EvilKam

Hello and welcome

First thing fresh newbs should learn is about modding. Check the forum threads on it or go to the warframe wiki

Veteran Tenno will tell you to only spend plat on slots, orokin catalyst/reactors (aka potatoes), or a color pallet if you feel you need it.

Ya the ranking system for missions is confusing, can't help there

You can only trade keys or mods (or creds I suppose), no weapons or frames, in trade chat as the only way to earn plat besides cash, that will be very hard for a newb tho