The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Frame Rate Issues And Screen Tearing With U11.5

(PSN)P4NCH0theD0G

Was quite happy with the content, sadly the performance still suffers. And now, there's new performance issues:

Issue: Frame Rate drops during "heated" encounters.

Occurrence: Often

Reproducible: Yes

Game Type: Mobile Defense/Survival

When lots of stuff happens, things get slow. Real slow. I'd say somewhere between 15 and 20 FPS, but stay there until the end of the mission. It's worse when Aiming down the Sights with weapons. I'd have to say, it's better than it was, but it's still not good.

Issue: Screen Tearing when moving fast and looking around, or looking around with Scanner/High-Zoom Weapon

Occurrence: Always

Reproducible: Yes

Game Type: All

When sprinting and moving the camera around, there now is noticeable screen tearing since U11.5. The same goes for just looking around with the Scanner or any other High-Zoom Weapon.

yea they turned V-sync off probably in an attempt to increase FPS.  V-sync off = tearing.  That doesn't bother me as much as the ~5 FPS on mobile defense and long survival sessions.

It seems more like a game optimization issue rather than a "bug" as the devs are thinking.  Timo from the DE helpdesk told me they were aware of the issue way back in December but he might have been thinking of the <1 FPS on void that stayed like that for 10-15 seconds at a time.  I think they got it running a little above 1 FPS now when it gets crazy but it's still borderline unplayable on most mobile defense / survival.

At this point I'm just not sure if it's even possible for them to fix it without making major changes to the game engine.  All I know is that when the CryEngine was first released it was very pretty but it was also one of the most unoptimized janky engines ever released.  It only improved when they made major overhauls to it that only came from completely new game releases.  They eventually optimized it so much that it was able to run games on 360/PS3 which have like 512MB of ram.  As far as I know there isn’t really a way to overhaul a game engine for an existing game short of making everyone delete the game from the hdd and download the whole thing again from the marketplace.

The only games I’ve ever heard of where the changes were so big that they forced you to download the whole game over again were Happy Wars and D&D Daggerdale.

It would be awesome for them to improve the framerate on this game somehow but at this point I’m not going to hold my breath.

I was doing Elara (Jupiter) and the framerate was the worst I have seen it over a continuous amount of time without ever improving (45 minutes).

The level looks great but all those reflective surfaces can't be helping the performance once the number of enemies starts getting higher.

• 3 weeks later...

Same issues here, espacially in terms of screen tearing. Back in December 2013 screen tearing hasn't occured at all. Now after some updates it's happening all the time, hell even in menu when rotating the warframe. What's weirder: My mates reported no tearing at all, which brings me to the conclusion, that it could occure only on certain tv devices.

I hope these performance issues on PS4 are going to be fixed soon.

In another tread about this similar topic a member suggested that it might be the individual's internet connection and I have seen threads on optimizing your connection through ports, but it does also seem like there are some issues on the backend and the servers need to be upgraded or something. I mean, I have fios and am directly connected to my internet via Lan but I still have severe frame rate issues and lag and everything people keep saying, not to mention the constant group/party disconnects and occasional game crashes. All I know, though, is in full groups, the lag will be coming. 

There is a difference between performance- and network related problems. Screen tearing and massive framedrops count to the first one and are a matter of optimization. Reducing the FOV and turning off graphical effects doesn't help in performance. At least I couldn't notice any improvement. My question is: Why?

Yet, this game is still in beta process and DE is doing a great job on the PS4 so far.

I have noticed framerate drops and screen tearing in mobile defence missions... I hope it gets fixed, i also hope framerate in general would be upped. If bf4 can run in smooth 60fps in ps4, so should this game. In general, i take quess this game requires less tech compared 64players pvp with big maps and lots of vechicles.