Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Seriously, Sniper Scopes Need A Rework - I Can't See Anything (Pics And Examples)

Phantasmo

First of all, I love how every sniper rifle feels different. It was a very pleasent surprise to find out each one had it own crosshair. However, there are a few issues.

This is what I see when I scope with my Lanka:

15714eo.jpg

Agreed, it was night time, but day light doesn't help it that much. It will turn red if an enemy gets in the middle, but since it is not a hit-scan weapon, you need to lead the shot which means if you fire when the HUD is red chances are you will miss the shot.

What about Vectis?

ju7fkh.jpg

Three main issues, particular order:

* It's a bit dull, boring.

* It doesn't scalate well with resolution. The original pic was taken at 2560x1440 and it is pixelated, not sharp at al..

* Important: How comes there's a big dot in the middle of the crosshair? Seriously, that dot is larger than a head. It is annoying.

Vulkar is almost perfect. I'd like it to be sharper, because it feels a bit blurry, but it's ok I guess.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Pictures not showing fixed.

Edited by Phantasmo

Yep many threads since these emerged, no action, but it was (almost) acknowledged in a recent Hot Topic.

They kinda missed the point though and said they would think about an option for turning them off.

How can you add in sniper scopes that make sniping less accurate?

That Vectis blurry blob in the middle is awful.

I have to see the Vulkar scope before I can make any judgement.

But I do agree, the Tenno scope is terrible.

Here you are:

eitnnn.jpg

2lji9ld.jpg

On second thoughts, Vulkar could be much sharper too. And the central blob should be much smaller.

Still, if feels much better than Vectis and Lanka.

You'd think with all the examples of working sniper scopes in this saturated world of FPS gaming, they would get some inspiration on their function.

I don't care how scifi the game is. Scifi implies progress. The future of tech. This means it should build on current tech, and offer superior function. Not just doodads.

200m-1024x576.png

This is Battlefield 4s standard scope for sniper rifles. Notice the simple lines. Those lines aren't just for cool points. They exist to give the soldier the ability to detect range in relation to the environment. See those options at the bottom? That's a rangefinder. It allows the player to select different ranges based on hard data in position to the player.

Once we are aware of our range. Now we can set that range to our scope.  When using the sniper rifle, you will notice below your scope are a couple of variables that you can change. The top number is your scopes zoom.  The gun I am using for this demonstration has a X6 and a X14 zoom.  The bottom number is the most important. This is your range. You can scroll through 100 / 200 / 300 / 400 / 500 / 1000 M.  Since our range is 200, we will set our scope to 200.  This means that the bullet will now hit exactly where my crosshairs are lined up with at 200m. Now you simply squeeze the trigger, and enjoy the satisfaction of getting a headshot from long range distances.

That is a small blurb from the developer on the function of this feature. This mimics current, real world mechanics. How is your game scifi, when it's got  no science and it's all fiction? Warframe doesn't need a long range functioning scope, but it should at least have the midrange capabilities of a current real world ACOG rifle scope. If you can't get a basic modern world scope in this game, then don't try to be dabbling in scifi physics. You look like idiots in the process DE.

battlefield-3-sks-2.jpg

It's not hard.

I wouldn't mind an option to have no scope at all, just plain iron sight. I end up trying to no-scope just to avoid the annoying scope they implemented. The ranges in Warframe are short, and a clean simple scope without all that visual distraction would be much appreciated.

Edited by LazyKnight

[...]

You know, you are overdoing it a little here, because sniper rifles in warframe are just very accurate rifles with mechanics to make it harder to spam shots, so you have have to aim more carefully. I hate BF4 references because BF4 and Waframe's only similarity is, that they belong to the shooter genre and sniping here and there is totally different, but overall you got a point.

I agree that the scopes are not what they should be and I'm sure there are better ways to fit the scifi setting and getting some good use out of it.

For the most part, it would help you replace the big dot with just a crosshair.

Two things need to be done, in my opinion.  A: a toggle for sniper scopes.  The original zoom made it far easier for me to aim and shoot in comparison to these scopes which are terribly obscuring and distracting.  Which brings me to B: Change the current scopes and make them far sharper and crisp.  

This will satisfy pretty much everybody.  

You know, you are overdoing it a little here, because sniper rifles in warframe are just very accurate rifles with mechanics to make it harder to spam shots, so you have have to aim more carefully. I hate BF4 references because BF4 and Waframe's only similarity is, that they belong to the shooter genre and sniping here and there is totally different, but overall you got a point.

I agree that the scopes are not what they should be and I'm sure there are better ways to fit the scifi setting and getting some good use out of it.

For the most part, it would help you replace the big dot with just a crosshair.

Shooting is shooting, and when you're going to magnify your scope to see targets that are beyond the range of most riflemen equipped weapons, you need to be able to SEE THE TARGET and KNOW THE RANGE of your target, otherwise you would be more accurate with iron sights on these weapons. The scope should be a BOON to the shooter, but games like Warframe actually employ them as handicaps.