Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Re-Introduce Mod Stacking

Aire

So, going into Update 7, I was hoping for a kind of, more diverse way of going about mods, leaving the choice of mods specific to the player preferences. I was fairly content with what was released but sadly I'm not seeing to much diversity or variety between builds in weapons. I feel that the mod system just makes me slap on one of each damage type mods on a gun without giving a second thought about playstyle.

I'm currently on the fence of thinking that maybe Mod Stacking shouldn't have been taken out, that it created ways in which a player would use specific mods for specific weapons, and that they should put it back in the game. Of course my theory for this is allowing players to mod stack, but discourage it.

What I'm proposing as a possibility is that mod stacking is back in, but doing it will cause a penalty, having multiples of the same mod installed would increase the mod slots by a certain degree either by a fixed percentage for every mod installed (around the 10-25% percentile area) or a variable amount depending on how many are installed.

As an example I'll use Mod X in two situations, A) a percentile degree, or B) a variable amount.

A)

Mod X takes up 5 Mod slots

Add another to stack that mod, the total cost would be 10 Mod Slots, and then factor in a fixed percentile penalty,

for example 20%, and 20% of 10 is 2.

Therefore the total mod slot cost would be 12 slots

For 3 It'd be 18, etc. etc.

B)

Mod X takes up 4 Mod slots.

Then you want to stack that mod, so you add another Mod X.

That 2nd Mod X will increase the slot value of each Mod X by either 1 (or 2 [maybe dependant on rarity?])

Meaning that each Mod X would take up 5 (or 6) Mod slots instead. So therefore the cost of 2 mods would be either 10 (or 12).

And having three mods will increase the slot value even more, causing each of Mod X to take up 6 (or 8) slots.

This would mean that stacking more will have a greater penalty, a bit of risk vs. reward, without any REAL risk.

TL;DR:

Put Mod Stacking back in but give it a mod slot penalty for doing it.

Whole-heartedly agree. I feel that the new system completely discourages variety, style, and choice-of-play, no, in fact, it completely negates it. And it saddens me to no end. The new card system is brilliant and all, but there is no need to keep and upgrade multiples of the same mods, you can just remove the mods you currently have and onto another weapon, simple as that. The extras are pretty much xp fuel. I've even sold continuity mods because of the overabundance and already having mine maxed.

Something that past me would've stabbed and killed me to death for. As for variety, it pretty much is what you're saying. You're done when you've managed to gather all damage mods(5 right now), one fire rate mod, stun/critical chance & damage, clip capacity or clip size. That's all the game allows a gun to have. It doesn't feel like you're playing it the way you want to, it feels that you're playing the game how the game wants you to play, and it isn't fun. Hope the mods hear your plight!

Edited by Darkevony

Something that past me would've stabbed and killed me to death for. As for variety, it pretty much is what you're saying. You're done when you've managed to gather all damage mods(5 right now), one fire rate mod, stun/critical chance & damage, clip capacity or clip size. That's all the game allows a gun to have. It doesn't feel like you're playing it the way you want to, it feels that you're playing the game how the game wants you to play, and it isn't fun. Hope the mods hear your plight!

I feel that's a problem attributed to the small variety of mods moreso than anything. There simply needs to be more mods and effects. To quote my post from another thread

Passive upgrades should be basic necessities (health, shield,damage etc.) which scale relative to the frame or weapon and are gained with each level. i.e. Loki gets less HP gains per level than Rhino but more power efficiency etc. Makes the system less RNG dependent.

Then remove HP/shield/damage mods and in replacement add actual mods which can change playstyle and are simply more than stat increases, i.e. Able to use ability a second time for no cost at half strength within 5 seconds, every 4th shot crits, charged melee attacks reduce enemy armor b 50% for 5 seconds, after reloading the first shot removes the enemy's gravity and suspends them in the air [30 second CD] etc.

You get the point. Creativity is crucial at this point of the game's life cycle, beyond attempting to fulfill standard RPG tropes."

Edited by Tangerine

I feel that's a problem attributed to the small variety of mods moreso than anything. There simply needs to be more mods and effects. To quote my post from another thread

That's quite true, considering they JUST released this system, so it isnt as fleshed out as many expected it to be.

But the thing is, now that I think about this, what kind of new mods would DE put in? I'd figure all it would be is either stronger versions of mods, or multi-purpose mods.

And also yeah. I have too much multiples of mods that I've already maxed, what should I do with them?...

Edited by Aire

This isn't gonna happen.

The devs made the current mod system to remove stacking allow them to buff the mods and not worry about people just stacking anyone one mod.

If there was stacking the dev would have to nerf some types of mods so stacking them wouldn't be overpowered. It would leave using only one mod of that type being mostly useless.

I'm not sure if people are even using the whole 60 warframe points, but for more variety they could just add 2 more mod slots but not increasing the amount of power the warframes get.

This isn't gonna happen.

The devs made the current mod system to remove stacking allow them to buff the mods and not worry about people just stacking anyone one mod.

If there was stacking the dev would have to nerf some types of mods so stacking them wouldn't be overpowered. It would leave using only one mod of that type being mostly useless.

I'm not sure if people are even using the whole 60 warframe points, but for more variety they could just add 2 more mod slots but not increasing the amount of power the warframes get.

Well there is truth to that, but at the moment I feel player choice is very limited.

But the thing is, I don't see how mod stacking would be overpowered, considering that it penalizes you for doing it.

An example would be a rifle multishot mod. At max rank its 15 points with 60%, put 2, it'd be worth around the 17-18 point range each. that is 34-36 points, 120% multishot. Put 3, 20 points each, 60 in total, uses ALL points, 180% multishot, but no room for anything else. Worth it? Maybe to some, but not OP as you might believe. 3 Multishot mods maxed for a shotgun 360% hits like a truck but has zero utility.

The penalty would make players think twice about how they should create their weapon builds, and gives them a reason to level multiples of the same mod.

And if theres anything that should be changed is the amount of penalty for each specific mod.

And there could be other penalties like stacked mods taking more than one card slot for specifics, etc.

And the point about the whole 60 points, they will be used when the mods go into the higher levels considering the slot costs do ramp up, and not everyone supercharges everything.

Althought it may be much work, it would be refreshing to feel like you're in control of your playstyle. I just want stacking back :D

But the thing is, now that I think about this, what kind of new mods would DE put in? I'd figure all it would be is either stronger versions of mods, or multi-purpose mods.

Well I had some ideas a little further down the post you quoted. "Able to use ability a second time for no cost at half strength within 5 seconds, every 4th shot crits, charged melee attacks reduce enemy armor b 50% for 5 seconds, after reloading the first shot removes the enemy's gravity and suspends them in the air [30 second CD] etc."