Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternative Fire Key Bindings

Zorex

Seriously, this is just sad. The Castanas is an insanely accurate weapon with projectiles that can reach very far and have a reasonable arc, which means that using it for long-range mine deployment is actually very viable. Except, you get screwed over after you place the first one, since attempting to zoom detonates it. And believe it or not, some people use the zoom function in this game.

Do what you did for Sprint/Roll: Have an Aim/Alt Fire binding and two separate Aim and Alt Fire bindings. Then make the default whatever makes sense to you. Just, for eff's sake, give people the option to use another key for stuff like detonating the Castanas's mines.

There comes a point where you have to realize that cramming a ton of functionality into one key is not user-friendly.

Edited by Zorex

Note that people with the penta have been dealing with this problem for a while now... You dont see them complaining

Except for the ones that did. There were multiple topics about it when the Penta came out. And it's less of a problem with the Penta because it's not as easy to use in long-range situations as the Castanas in the first place.

Edited by Zorex

Just aim more carefully? Glaive users seem to do it just fine.

This is not a useful answer for people with significant eyesight impairments. It's not about aiming carefully; it's about actually being able to see what's in front of you in the distance without squinting and straining your eyes. That's what a zoom function is for in the first place.

And it's not as if implementing what I suggested is hard -- and I say this being a seasoned software engineer -- it's simply a matter of DE actually realizing that one size does not fit all.

And for the record, it does bother me with the Glaive too, but to a lesser degree since I tend to use it more mid-range than I do the Castanas.

Edited by Zorex

This is not a useful answer for people with significant eyesight impairments. It's not about aiming carefully; it's about actually being able to see what's in front of you in the distance without squinting and straining your eyes. That's what a zoom function is for in the first place.

And it's not as if implementing what I suggested is hard -- and I say this being a seasoned software engineer -- it's simply a matter of DE actually realizing that one size does not fit all.

And for the record, it does bother me with the Glaive too, but to a lesser degree since I tend to use it more mid-range than I do the Castanas.

I guess that's true.

For remote-detonation weapons, they should create a Mouse3 button (pressing the scroll wheel) and make an option that chooses whether you want to detonate with Mouse2 or Mouse3.

For thrown melees... they just shouldn't zoom out in the first place.

I couldn't agree more. 

When I got the Penta, I wondered why they would assign another functionality to the zoom key. Because the Penta isn't exactly a sniper rifle, it didn't matter much, but it did make me think what would happen when more weapons with two-step firing like this were introduced.

I guess it would just be a matter of adding a 'secondary fire' entry in the controls list that you could bind like you want.

Personally, I'd probably bind it to a thumb key on my mouse or something, but I'd definitely move it out of the zoom key in any case.

It would make a ton of sense to have an alt fire key. I have a whole keyboard in front of me. Lots of keys to use. So why don't they?

Consoles don't have keys. They have 'context sensitive' buttons. And simple controls.

In order to maintain uniformity across platforms, DE will give us the same ridiculous repurposing of keys that other console games get.

I'm all for DE making more money from the new consoles. But once they announced the decision to go to consoles, that kinda spelled the end of any more complexity or new controls being added to the game.

For remote-detonation weapons, they should create a Mouse3 button (pressing the scroll wheel) and make an option that chooses whether you want to detonate with Mouse2 or Mouse3.

MB3 is already reserved for "use last/selected ability". MB4 default is block - and I personally chose MB5 as alternative crouch key.

But I agree, they should separate those two functions and allow to bind them to different keys.