The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Game

xShadowsaur

Well, I just found out there is a horror game coming out by Frictional Games (Who are famous for their horror titles) called Soma!

http://www.somagame.com/ <- For the curious [i warn you, it being a horror game there will be blood and gore]
I had to do a double take when seeing this and I came to the only logical conclusion!

There must be a horror frame confirmed! Amnesia: the tenno descent, Penumbra : Tennoture, Amnesia: A machine for Warframes.

Digital Extremes and Frictional Games must be doing some sort of cross over game!

In all seriousness, I just got a chuckle out of the common name of Soma being a primary in Warframe and now the title of this game, and how they probably have nothing to do with eachother (despite how interesting a horror style Warframe mode would be).

After some minor investigation (A Goggle search for all those curious) I found out that Soma means :

the parts of an organism other than the reproductive cells.
  • the body as distinct from the soul, mind, or psyche.

The second definition seems to have some meaning in the game Soma (having to do something with robotic and human augmentation in horrific ways) and less to do with the weapon the Soma, aside from DE's love for archaic and unusual words.

Oh well, I thought it was interesting.

Also, Soma is the name of a recreational drug in "A Brave New World" that has no side effects used to control the masses.

It has a greek origin you're right. It's a part of an often used psychiatric word, somatization, which means the conversion of a mental state into physical symptoms.

I did not know either of those things, thank you. I love how people get caught up on the word, but not the game.

Holy !@#$

It's like Aperture Laboratories + Outlast had a baby. 

I'll probably never actually play it, but I am very interested.

Yeah, if Outlast was good!

I'd say it's very similar in aspect to Machine for Pigs considering that SCIENCE has made monstrosities, but this is the company's first venture into futuristic stuff. I am a huge fan of the Amnesia series, I can't wait to see where this goes.