Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Feedback & Suggestion] An Additional Weapon. Loadout Customization

Jathniel

Noticed we have a "Buster"-style great sword (Gram), and a "Claymore"-style great sword (Galatine), but we don't have an "Odachi"-style great sword.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnudc9vhFZ1qmt9jco1_500.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HOfMqvs06XA/Tdo1HZ7agJI/AAAAAAAAAz0/rvTTJSwjxs0/s400/Nodachi+2.jpg

Not a katana, odachi have come to be incorrectly called "daikatana" by some. While this IS a feasible word, it's not the correct term.

It's technically not a "melee weapon", because most men wouldn't have the strength to wield it as such... but a Warframe wouldn't have that problem. :)
It would be great to have in game.

A forum search reveals that this has come up before. :)
(Perhaps we could call it: "Daiskana" as euphemism for "daikatana"? lol)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for loadout customization, I imagine the following suggestion would require a lot of effort. So, not making any demands, just... putting it out there:

Having the ability to unequip weapons. Being able to unequip a primary, secondary, and melee from the arsenal menu, to allow a player to enter a mission with only 1, 2, or no weapons equipped.
No melee weapon, would default to the basic punch-kick combo.

A simple request.

Now here's where things may get hard to follow.... Please, do tell if my articulation has failed you.

Let not having a type of weapon equipped, have some sort of influence or benefit on your warframe or other equipped weapons.

Example 1: No primary or secondary weapon. Only melee weapon equipped. = 30% increased stamina and stamina recovery and 10% increased sprint speed.

OR

Example 2: No melee weapon. Only primary and secondary weapons are equipped. = 30% increased weapon switch speed and movement speed while aiming down sights. 10% increased reload speed.

OR

Example 3: No primary weapon. Only melee and secondary weapons are equipped. = Dual wield. Melee weapon remains drawn. No holstering/unsheathing time is present unless secondary is akimbo. (This would require additional animation sets.)

OR

Example 4: No secondary or melee weapon. Only primary weapon equipped (OR only secondary weapon equipped). = X% values for increased reload speed, recoil mitigation, weapon zoom, sprint speed, etc.

OR

Example 5: No weapons equipped. = X% values for increased movement speed, warframe energy efficiency, jump height, wall run time, stamina efficiency, etc. (might be fun for "mage"-style gameplay with frames like Frost, Nova, and Ember.)

These examples are just to communicate the concept, and the numbers given are not to be scrutinized for balance. Rather let DE do that.

I do think this concept would further add to player customization, and allow for even more styles of play.

TL;DR - Consider adding a "less is more" approach to configuring in the arsenal, by allowing players to unequip weapons in exchange for certain bonuses.
Jath

Edited by Jathniel

Yeah, the odachi worked most effectively against and with cavalry. Ride on the horse, approach a helpless unit on the ground, bring the odachi around and let its weight do the rest. It WILL take off heads and hands. lol

It looks thin, but it is very dense. Extremely heavy. Forget it as a melee weapon. A man simply does not have the forearm strength to wield it that way. This thing is a spine buster if he tries to get too wild with it.

BUT, if there IS someone out there freak enough to use an odachi as efficiently as a katana.... then that person would be a real-life Sephiroth and that would be cool and just a little scary. lol

-------------------------------------------

As for the concept, it can go many different directions, and can work with many different styles of play. I imagine some people would do melee only for the sheer challenge of it. Others probably fantasize of a Galatine/Detron duel style of gameplay. Shotgun in one hand, sword in the other.

In turn, they could configure their mod loadouts to compliment the bonuses from unequipping a weapon.

I think there's a lot of potential, and theory crafters would have even more fun.

Odachi: If I can be a sephiroth in-game then pls, take all my upvotes. That and I just want a really long sword like that XD

Concept: I know I would go secondary and melee and melee only. There would be a lot of potential and I would love to have this the more I think about it.