Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion Regarding Melee 2.0

Klazik

Dear DE and Tenno brothers and sister.

The melee 2.0 update is arriving at some point soon, and I'm looking forward to it, but with a slight concern.

I understand what DE is trying to do, but I also fear they might lock us into certain gamestyles. Of course it all depends on the execution -How easy/fast it will be to switch modes, etc.

So I got this little suggestion for "melee mode". Since we are "Ninjas" I like to fit my playstyle as such. I'm not the Rhino or Nova charging in, to explode everything. So I usually try to engage in melee by limiting myself to throwing knifes and my sword/daggers what ever.

I suggest you should be able to "quick fire" your secondary weapon with a press of a button. Much like you "quick fire" you melee right now.

Example: Run along the wall, chuck a fast Castana among a little Grineer squad, launch off the wall while you detonate the Castana, land among the Grineers, and finish them off in style.

I just fear I can't use my Castanas if I want to experience the full extend of melee 2.0.

Think Naruto where they fight hand to hand, but can throw a kunai once in a while.

Thank you for your time.

-Klazik

Edited by Klazik

You press and hold weapon switch to equip your melee weapon, instead of tapping it for primary/secondary switch.

They talk about how you execute combos with left-click for heavier attacks and quick-attack for fast attacks as we are used to.

This information is basically happening within less than a minute. It will be elaborated later on, at about 7:30

But if you are impatient, at 10:46, Steve breaks it down to 4 variations base attacks; quick attack combo + quick attack combo with timing + trigger attack combo + trigger attack with timing

I guess tapping the weapon switch key will re-equip your previous weapon, like it happens with datamass storage.

EDIT: And what will happen to right click while your melee weapon is equipped is not known yet as far as I can remember, but I might be wrong.

Edited by Khunvyel

You press and hold weapon switch to equip your melee weapon, instead of tapping it for primary/secondary switch.

They talk about how you execute combos with left-click for heavier attacks and quick-attack for fast attacks as we are used to.

This information is basically happening within less than a minute. It will be elaborated later on, at about 7:30

But if you are impatient, at 10:46, Steve breaks it down to 4 variations base attacks; quick attack combo + quick attack combo with timing + trigger attack combo + trigger attack with timing

I guess tapping the weapon switch key will re-equip your previous weapon, like it happens with datamass storage.

EDIT: And what will happen to right click while your melee weapon is equipped is not known yet as far as I can remember, but I might be wrong.

Yes, yes. It's all very informative. But doesn't really bring any light to my question..

*throws question marks*
*scrolls up and re-reads*

Oh that is what you get, Khunvyel, when you read with only one eye open. My apologies, Klazik!

The right mouse button is still left in the unknown, so perhaps that is going to be our unaimed quickshot of the weapon we previously had equipped prior to switching to our melee weapon.

I still think it is going to be possible what you mentioned with

"Run along the wall, chuck a fast Castana among a little Grineer squad,

launch off the wall while you detonate the Castana,

land among the Grineers, and finish them off in style."

because it entirely depends on how long the weapon swap key requires to be held in order to equip the melee weapon. If it is as fast as with the sprint/dodge reaction, then I predict you can well switch them while you are still in midair.

*throws question marks*

*scrolls up and re-reads*

Oh that is what you get, Khunvyel, when you read with only one eye open. My apologies, Klazik!

The right mouse button is still left in the unknown, so perhaps that is going to be our unaimed quickshot of the weapon we previously had equipped prior to switching to our melee weapon.

I still think it is going to be possible what you mentioned with

"Run along the wall, chuck a fast Castana among a little Grineer squad,

launch off the wall while you detonate the Castana,

land among the Grineers, and finish them off in style."

because it entirely depends on how long the weapon swap key requires to be held in order to equip the melee weapon. If it is as fast as with the sprint/dodge reaction, then I predict you can well switch them while you are still in midair.

Haha, no harm done!

Well, if we don't get a "quick-fire range weapon-button" then it all depends, as you say, on swap-button function time. So, I'm very anxious to see the results. They may have thought everything through and I need not to worry.. We'll see.

I think they got aware of the fact that the new iteration of melee not only has grown through player feedback and demand, but they are also aware that the much anticipated overhaul can make or break the game. Since many months people hoped for an improval, and that means the update will be plucked apart on all fronts.

I mean, what is the worst that could happen? Melee becoming the only game in the park because it is so OP *chuckle*

But really, in the end what most people want to see is more variety and more elaborate actions for such a system, and I think they will deliver this.

I also think that melee 2.0 is going to be less irritating than damage 2.0, because the latter was mainly about redistributing and re-inventing damage types, armor, scaling, etc. So this system already affects melee 2.0, which is more going to be concentrated on the execution of it. Sure, I reckon damage will be tackled and reconsidered on weapons but they do not need to reinvent the wheel, as damage 2.0 already happened.

Community has given great and lots of feedback, and I'm sure since you are interested as well, you've stumbled over my own list of reminders as well, where I tried to tackle the less / not mentioned things

If not, have a link! https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/191548-melee-20-my-list-of-reminders/

And no I don't camp topics. I just happen to hit the refresh button at the right times it seems ^^°