Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warning] Do Not Use Steam's Verify Files Feature

ZAPTONE

This was mentioned in another thread. Steam has a different update cycle (at least 24hr) then the Warframe patcher. When a hotfix is released, the files in Steam are not updated.

File verification on Steam matches the files you have against the files they have on their servers.

Since there has been several hotfixes that presumably modified entire file packs since Steam Warframe went live, entire file packs are different from the initial Steam launch version. The hotfixes are relatively small patches, I would assume DE does not bother reuploading the hotfixed versions to Steam (As far as I have heard it is a mild hassle to do so, as Steam vets the files on their end before they put them up. It is not Xbox Live levels of siliness, but still, Steam needs to be sure nothing will cause random customer PC explosions and such) or does so and needs to wait till they are vetted. At the rate current hotfixes are being put out, I strongly suspect the former is true and a steam update will be submitted once some degree of stability in U7 is reached and patch schedule becomes less hectic.

The hotfixed, packed files are compared to Steam's release ones. They come up as different. Steam redownloads the ones that are. Since WF is packed into ~140 cache files that presumably get very small edits across hotfixes, it ends up redownloading most of them. Then you get to re-apply the hotfixes.

Moral of the story: Do not use verify files unless you have reasons to suspect file corruption.

Which actually brings up a separate point - somewhere in the future, both the Steam and non-Steam launcher could probably use a file verify/repair feature where it compares the files in its installation to the most recent ones on its servers. That way Steam's files can be updated whenever, and verify game cache becomes irrelevant.

Edited by JamnikPucek