Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Sniper, The Assassin, The Manipulator

LukeAura

I've always loved the stealth class of frames, or at least the idea behind them. But I've noticed each one has their own faults, while as a whole they have much larger ones. Simply put, while each one is rather 'effective' at one thing or another, it's hard for them to be quite as 'fun' as you would expect them to. They all lack something that makes their gameplay more than just effective or unique. Synergy, flexibility, variety, "Oh !@#$% that was awesome!" Moments.

As such I intend to post a set of revisions/tweaks and/or reworks to their current skills, and implement new ones if necessary. I'm going to try avoid posting pure numbers as much as possible, these are ideas first and foremost, I'll add numbers with community input once abilities are finalized. They are subject to change, in essence, don't take them as final. I'd love to hear other/better options.
The initial premise isn't balance per say, that will come later, but flexibility and entertainment. Once we build abilities and ideas that are fun and engaging, the balancing and the numbers will be easier and less important overall.
I am aware Stealth 2.0 is in the works, I'll try to account for and work with whatever mysteries and changes it may hold in its shadows.

So without further ado, The Sniper-Banshee

The primary problem I've found with Banshee is that her kit is both clunky, and far too spread out. She lacks any real sort of synergy in her powers that she can make use of, while lacking in the overall stealth department. The primary changes with Banshee will be QoL/Flexibility, and stealth improvements.

Sonic Boom;

A handy cheap on energy CC skill, knocks foes down. It's effective, and plain. This is her close range emergency skill for when sniping fails. But due to the nature of enemies pathing and aggro, they'll be right on her again when they get up.
Suggestion; Enemies hit by Sonic Boom have their aggro reset due to sustaining significant concussive damage. An improved stealth mechanic, if you move out of sight before enemies get back up you have effectively reset the situation, enemies will return to standard patrols until another source of aggro appears. it give this ability options, is it a CC, or a pseudo stealth tool?
Optional: Could also potentially hinder detection ranges.

Sonar:

A powerful damage boosting skill. It's very clunky though, despite having large range it is single cast and Banshee centered, hindering the use and flexibility Banshee can get out of it. The Premier snipers aid in her arsenal, but not usually worth its cost.
Suggestion; Improve its flexibility. Becomes an aura that persists for its duration, enemies that enter the field will get tagged. Leaving the field doesn't remove a highlight, reentering overwrites old one with a fresh one. weakpoint highlights are permanent even after Sonar ends.
Options; On top of becoming a persistent aura there are other casting changes that are possible, each with varying bonuses and points, range, duration and damage bonus aren't static and would be adjusted depending on preferred option.
Castable at range, a true sniping field, would become the longest range ability ever.
Centered on cast location just like now, Snipers hunker down, set up your zone and hold it(Just don't die of old age), would probably be the strongest of all but the most restrictive.
Centered on Banshee, will be effective regardless of changes in situation. Totally in your control where it goes and when.
Castable-twist. If placed on a target, follows that target. Set up on an enemy and have him move it for you, becomes set when he dies, or place it on an ally and support them from afar! No matter where they are.

Silence:

Oh yes, this can of worms. My solution is to essentially replace it, but keep to its essence. So may I introduce,
Echo: A teleport+Aggro draw. Great for getting in to tight places, out of situations. Or drawing foes to a location. Banshee teleports in direction of cursor, and leaves behind an echo of herself. The Echo takes in Banshee's current aggro, and any time Banshee is detected based on noise, that aggro is drawn to the Echo instead. The Echo has no physical form, enemies and allies pass through it as well as gunfire. It's not a tank or wall though. Hop in to a Vantage point and group enemies while you snipe them. Great follow up from a Sonic Boom. Great grouper for Sonar.
Optional: Enemy projectiles passing through an echo turn on friendly fire.

Sound Quake:

I think we all know the problem with Sound Quake. The channel. Now, the simple option I could give would be to remove the channel, or make it cancellable. Let's add a little more spice than that.
Suggestion: Banshee condenses an acoustic proximity mine. When enemies approach too close, it triggers, unleashing a devastating Sound Quake. It would have cast options similar to Sonar. Castable at range, deployable at current location, or castable and target sticky.
Damage would likely be reduced but stagger/blast procc rate increased. Prep a Sound mine and keep it nearby for protection while you snipe. Or throw it out as a trap to catch foes. Maybe slap it on your Rhino buddy and have him charge through enemies for a super charge?

The Assassin-Ash

Ash is our “Assassin” class character. A high single target dps type usually, relying on some semblance of bulk and natural speed to survive. He needs to be effective at taking out targets faster than anyone else, which is a problem as everyone else is taking them out almost too fast as is. He needs to become closer to a warrior-with stealth/debilitating attacker than a true stealth warrior to survive.  Ash’s changes will focus him towards rapidly taking down small pockets of enemies, rather than single targets, as well as having increased utility. Some of these ideas are inspired or taken from other players.

Shuriken:

strong 1-2 target damage skill. Very boring visually. Offers no utility. It makes up nearly everything that causes a skill to be worthless in the game (Badassery being the exclusion.).
Suggestion: Shuriken count buffed (Somewhere around four to six) and is affected by power strength. Shurikens now Blind and stagger any enemy struck. This gives it utility and a still small but increased enemy count.
Optional: Innate punch through.

Smokescreen:

While a handy skill on its own it could do a lot more, and as stealth usually involves the manipulation of enemy aggression I’d suggest
Suggestion: While still giving Ash his invisibility, the smokescreen now spreads aggro over its whole. Any ally drawing aggro while inside will be drawn to the smoke itself, causing enemies to fire wildly in to it, increasing power range will also cause the shots to be more spread out and provide even further defence. Enemies can not see or detect Tenno by sight if the smoke is between them, useful for quick get aways. It isn’t full team stealth, but it does provide a strong set up.
Optional: How would people feel about the complete separation of the Smoke and invisibility effect? Allowing Ash to cast/toss the smokebomb to cover an Ally at range while simultaneously turning invisible.

Teleport:

A great utility skill, in theory. It currently lacks the ability to give Ash that brief moment of safety he needs to perform his art.
Suggestion: Stun AoE increased, less than 10 meters radius, but great than 3. Enemies in range become slowed, while Ash receives a brief damage buff.
Targeting decision:
Semi Free targeting, can teleport any where as long as at least one target, not necessarily an enemy, is in range of his stun.
Free Targeting, can teleport to any location under cross hair.
Strict Targeting, the kind he has now.
I’d vote for Semi-Free, but I’m not too picky, I’m aware a lot of people want it full Free targetable though.

BladeStorm:

Much like Banshee’s Sound Quake, Bladestorm is a channel that is downright slow to deal damage and removes all player agency. It also offers no utility beyond damage.
Suggestion: Give control back to the player. Bladestorm is now performed, after the initial strike, by targeting an enemy through aiming and pressing melee/mouse/4 again, in a successive chain of hits up to a target limit. Strike animation is performed and enemy is then rag dolled to the ground to open Ash’s sights for a new target, as well as acting as a CC. If a new target is not found after a short duration, Ash leaves the bladestorm stance and returns to normal. Ash drops all Aggro during every teleport, but, potentially, is only invincible during attack animation, while aiming he is still susceptible to being hit.

The Manipulator-Loki
His Presence will be felt when the time is right.

Edited by LukeAura

I absolutely love the Sound Quake suggestion of the sonic-mine, and the Echo from sonar.

How would one select casting modes?

At this point they're more A community based decision on what would be best for each ability. Can't switch on the fly.

(Although if I could think of a very clean way to swap modes I would definitely add it in.)

Edited by LukeAura