Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Looking For Frame Input

Aquifn

Question

Hi!

I'm hoping some more experienced players can give some feedback on which frame I should be running. Currently I'm enjoying volt, using the Paris and a Lex, and I guess the Cronos sword too. I'm trying to find mods that improve my ability damage, but so far those seem fairly rare. But I'm only about two days in, so maybe that'll get better?

Anyhow, I like sitting back and picking things off. Is there a frame that really supports that well? Volt sooooort of does, but against infestation stuff I feel like I should have a second option. Also, how does the big snipetron or whatever stack up compared to the Paris?

And how about the bolt pistols vs the lex?

Thanks!

25 answers to this question

To answer some of your questions, Snipetron has a scope which might come in handy so might want to check some youtube footage of someone using it to get an idea unless someone who uses it replies later on.

Personally for pistol I would say bolt pistol they fire faster than the Lex have innate armor piercing so one less mod to worry about for awhile. Later on though Lex VERY good when modded but, it's slower fire rate doesn't always support a fast sidearm you might need (until modded).

For frames might want to farm out Ash or Loki both have ways of dealing of lots of mobs (Loki doesn't have any direct damage but lots of tricks). Ash's smoke screen can stun and you can run away or bladestorm and kill like 11 guys in your way and shuriken can also help do some quick damage as well. Try http://warframe.wiki.../wiki/Warframes to look at all the abilites and see which one you like those are my two picks from personal experience.

Edited by shoudra

I've started playing ash recently and can attest to how much fun he is. Not an extremely difficult frame to get the hang of, and as shoudra said, he can certainly deal with a lot of mobs in rapid if not immediate succession. His smoke screen + melee wtfcrit everthying around you works amazingly well for clearing out a group or incase you get overwhelmed.

as a new ash player though, if anyone has any suggestions on how to BUILD him (what has worked for you) i'd love to hear some community ideas. I'm currently running Latron - with multishot, armor pierce, reload speed, and mag capacity mods. Aklato with hornet strike(flat damage) quickdraw(reload speed) gunslinger(fire rate) and pistol gambit for crit chance. the dual zorens i've got are incredibly quick clean up for melee (god i love the fast charge)

If you want to keep enemies at arms length, you will want some sort of caster class. Frost is good, but being a low level player farming will be difficult. Ember is powerful against infected but weak against most everything else. You already have Volt, but he is weak against infested. Mag might be an interesting choice for that, but I don't have her because I don't like her looks or her style.

Depending on the weaponry you put with the frame, you can have something well balanced. Paris is a lot more fun than the snipetron, and they are both meant to do the same thing which is pick enemies off at range.

Ash and Loki aren't cut out for ranged combat, they are meant to get close to enemies. I have both, I can tell you from experience they are meant to get places fast and slice things up, not stand back.

If you want to keep enemies at arms length, you will want some sort of caster class. Frost is good, but being a low level player farming will be difficult. Ember is powerful against infected but weak against most everything else. You already have Volt, but he is weak against infested. Mag might be an interesting choice for that, but I don't have her because I don't like her looks or her style.

Depending on the weaponry you put with the frame, you can have something well balanced. Paris is a lot more fun than the snipetron, and they are both meant to do the same thing which is pick enemies off at range.

Ash and Loki aren't cut out for ranged combat, they are meant to get close to enemies. I have both, I can tell you from experience they are meant to get places fast and slice things up, not stand back.

Volt is next to useless against infested. Do you think Ember is worth picking up for infested missions?

What would you think about using Excalibur for a sniper suit?

Excalibur is a melee focused frame, using him for that purpose would not be playing on its strengths. For a player who is new, I recommend Ember or Rhino if you want to immediately get a new frame. That said, getting a warframe just for a specific type of mission is not generally a good idea. What if you build Ember and want to run her on Grineer or Corpus maps? She is going to not do very well unless you invest a lot of time with her, and even then she is sub-optimal.

For free players, you need to work toward a frame you can see yourself playing for a long time in any environment.

Excalibur is a melee focused frame, using him for that purpose would not be playing on its strengths. For a player who is new, I recommend Ember or Rhino if you want to immediately get a new frame. That said, getting a warframe just for a specific type of mission is not generally a good idea. What if you build Ember and want to run her on Grineer or Corpus maps? She is going to not do very well unless you invest a lot of time with her, and even then she is sub-optimal.

For free players, you need to work toward a frame you can see yourself playing for a long time in any environment.

Just curious, why do you recommend Ember to new players if she isn't very good against almost everything?

Because of accessibility. She is a caster type, female, and easy to get early on. All of these things generally appeal to new players in some shape or form.

Female because all the starter frames are male. Caster because outside of Volt there aren't any immediate DPS casters. Easy to get is important, lessens the time you have to deal with reaching the boss to start farming.

I wouldn't recommend her for those who want to actually spend a lot of time until they want a warframe they can get into.

Okay, well I think I want one of the casters. I like volt, but he feels useless against the infested. What would you recommend that is good against the infested, and has a decent 'room clear' for when surrounded?

weapons with fire mods to be non specific are recommended against infested I believe, Preferably high damage / high fire rate imho. Ember's ring of fire (forgot the exact name) has always been a favorite of embers' in infested mission if you decide to get it.

Okay, well I think I want one of the casters. I like volt, but he feels useless against the infested. What would you recommend that is good against the infested, and has a decent 'room clear' for when surrounded?

Saryn and Loki are both decent against everything with decoy and moult to draw the hoard of Infest away from you. Infest will attack your decoy first and allow you to shoot them with your gun from a safe distance.

Loki is fast and deadly. Invisibility is better than his 4th which is basically useless against Infest. It grants you invisibility, invulnerability from direct damage (toxic poison can kill you), and melee critical damage.

Saryn has moult and contagion. Moult acts like decoy. Contagion grants you short period of nvulnerability and toxic damage to melee. Her fourth is AOE nuke like other frames.

I don't have Ember so no comment about her but I've seen her frying Infest for breakfast quite often.

I snipe with my Excalibur. Since there's no Warframe really geared to it, I simply use the melee powers when an enemy gets too close.

EDIT: I'd say that the Banshee is most-suited to the sniper role, however.

Edited by Kanaris

Yeah, I was actually looking her over. Wish she wasn't so bad looking, that's just personal opinion though. Any idea how she does against infested? Man, if her first skill was longer range she'd be perfect though.

Banshee is very hard to get unless you buy her. If you want to be a sniper though, I'd recommend it. With the right mods, you can make her powers really effective at keeping enemies away from you and increasing your ranged ability.

On her own, her abilities aren't elemental so they aren't weak/strong against the infested.

Her Sonar would let you detect enemies through walls and, if you have a good aim, you can shoot the highlighted parts of their bodies for increased damage. It is a good sniper frame, but I use her as a fast mover so I don't use it as much.

There are other mods that increase power range on warframes. I'd say its duration is OK if you are a good sniper it shouldn't be a problem, but there is power duration mods to fix that.

If you want to get the right warframe you have to use the right mods.

For solo missions loki or ash due to stealth sneaking past stuff to save time. For top tier warframes that are useful to groups and great to murder everything.... Rhino/Volt/Frost/Excalibur/Nyx. Trinity for bosses. That about sums it up the rest are meh and only useful in niche roles that 99% of the time are better server by the first 6 I mentioned.

I've heard her sonar is kind of short range, and rather limited time? I know the time increases with rank, does the range?

Her sonar is worthless bad range long cast time etc. Her silence is worthless as well unless you want to roleplay a ninja. It is not worth the time or effort to sneak you get better rewards for just killing everything and you can't sneak defense missions. Her ultimate is only acceptable due to it making you invulnerable sadly it has subpar damage even with duration and damage mods on. BTW I have her level 30 with max ranked ult and rank 3 of power duration and damage.

Edited by Krrr8or

How do I point out a module? Someone said the G key, and I thought I'd done it once, but all it seems to do is drop a waypoint. Even if I put my cursor right at the module, still ends up saying waypoint

How do I point out a module? Someone said the G key, and I thought I'd done it once, but all it seems to do is drop a waypoint. Even if I put my cursor right at the module, still ends up saying waypoint

I've found it a bit finnicky at times myself, though dropping a waypoint labeled 'waypoint' is about as good as dropping one labeled 'module' - it'll still get people's attention.

Anyways, I'm hoping I can hijack this thread a bit because I have more or less the same question. I grabbed the game a few days ago, and started playing with Loki. Now that I've got a few weapons (Paris/Sicarus/Gram), I'm starting to wonder which Warframe I should be aiming for next. I've been enjoying Loki as more of a support frame (I've learned to love Decoy), rushing in to melee things when I've got the spare power to cloak if things get dicey. I was considering moving to Ash (since he could keep the cloak), but it doesn't seem like he could do much to help the team beyond direct damage. In this capacity, I was looking at Frost (as that Snow Globe ability looks very useful for support), but I'm not sure what his survivability would be like without a panic button (ala cloak). Any input?

Frost cannot die. It's just that he's so slooowwww... His snowglobe does it all, but you probably won't like his other abilities. Freeze is pointless in squads, Ice wave is too slow/small/weak, and avalanche is boring. He has huge armor but his pace makes me shudder.

If you're not looking for direct damage, you could try Nyx for her chaos, and Rhino for tanking while retaining mobility and CC.

Frost cannot die. It's just that he's so slooowwww... His snowglobe does it all, but you probably won't like his other abilities. Freeze is pointless in squads, Ice wave is too slow/small/weak, and avalanche is boring. He has huge armor but his pace makes me shudder.

If you're not looking for direct damage, you could try Nyx for her chaos, and Rhino for tanking while retaining mobility and CC.

I appreciate the information. I thought about Rhino, but one of the friends I play with is already working towards Rhino (the other is going for Saryn, if it makes a difference), and I'd rather have a different Frame from him. I hadn't looked at Nyx at all (so thanks for the suggestion!), but one of the things I really like about Loki is I can sit back and snipe while using support powers while also having the ability to rush into the thick of thing - sort of hit and run-y, so I'm concerned with short term survivability, I guess. I've found that the stats on the Warframe Wiki are occasionally out of date, so I'm hoping to confirm here, she has 150 energy with 150 health and 100 shields? That seems like a pretty good step up from Loki's 150/75/75.

As a side note, how much of a difference does armor make?

Try Volt. He's really fantastic except against infested. But, I've finished building the double bolt pistol things, and with a fire mod they take care of any infested business I have. And against anyone else, Volt is great. Long range power snipe, A barrier to create choke points, pretty decent aoe, and a good 'oh crap' button with his speed. It also doubles as a great way to get to fallen allies who have over-extended.

Anyone know what the mini completion challenges each level get you? I haven't seen anything when I finish them. Also, is there a fast way to review what they are? Seems like sometimes the load animations cut them off.

Also, a fun tip for people. When those stupid seekr grenades stick to you, you can double tap run while moving to roll and shake them off. They won't chase once removed like that.