The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Katana In The "warframe - The Sword Alone" Video

Seij

We just follow the general principles, the majority of it is family knowledge and experience. There was a period where my family did not see battle often (when Lord Himeji was at the height of his power) but otherwise it is drawn from battlefield experience and passed down. Nowadays I practice martial arts with people from multiple other schools, it's very interesting to see not only how they handle the sword but also hand-to-hand combat. So yes, I do go around collecting knowledge but only what I see as practical or more efficient makes its way into my practice.

I see. Family style, then. It would be nice to speak to you in person, methinks. How much my knowledge can grow by walking around looking at people training on this blasted island of restrictions is pretty much limited to watching "modernised" sport variations and Bujinkan, outside of my teacher and his bunch of friends. My teacher and his friends do have a habit of flying off whenever they have a chance to find some new knowledge, though.

EDIT: Oh, and then there's "Ninjado" which isn't even related in any way to Ninjutsu. It's just a messed-up combination of sport karate, sport taekwondo, sport judo, exhibition wushu and boxing, from what I've seen. Students still learn something, but not anything related to ninjas even though they try to ride the dying ninja hype train.

Edited by Sadwyrm

I see. Family style, then. It would be nice to speak to you in person, methinks. How much my knowledge can grow by walking around looking at people training on this blasted island of restrictions is pretty much limited to watching "modernised" sport variations and Bujinkan, outside of my teacher and his bunch of friends. My teacher and his friends do have a habit of flying off whenever they have a chance to find some new knowledge, though.

EDIT: Oh, and then there's "Ninjado" which isn't even related in any way to Ninjutsu. It's just a messed-up combination of sport karate, sport taekwondo, sport judo, exhibition wushu and boxing, from what I've seen. Students still learn something, but not anything related to ninjas even though they try to ride the dying ninja hype train.

*shudders* Ninja hype train ninjas play free? Anyways, I mess around with Kali and Eskrima guys, seeing how they treat weapons is really an experience. (As a result I'm trying to learn the short stick, I suck so much I only know two-stick sumbrada and Heaven Six.) On the bright side my footwork is a lot lighter. I've found a new love in grappling though :D

*shudders* Ninja hype train ninjas play free? Anyways, I mess around with Kali and Eskrima guys, seeing how they treat weapons is really an experience. (As a result I'm trying to learn the short stick, I suck so much I only know two-stick sumbrada and Heaven Six.) On the bright side my footwork is a lot lighter. I've found a new love in grappling though :D

Congrats. A lot of people say being good at grappling can allow you to control any battle.

I still fail to see the usefulness of "Verbal self-defence" or "Verbal Judo/Aikido", as its promoters love to call it. Trying to go around in circles and redirect the conversation to nearby people not so invested in the topic while taking the topic and using it to slap the invested person in the face every time they try to take a breath would make me want to kill the "Verbal defender" even more. Heck, I openly admit to destroying a computer set trying to keep from attacking a teacher who tried that on me when I was trying to talk about improvements to my project about 5 or so years ago. Every time I tried to say how I could improve it, he went "So are YOU done?" before I got three words in. I have so far paid the fine. No, it wasn't the kind of half-hearted "destruction" that people normally consider destruction nowadays. I attacked the thing, beat the unliving crap out of it and my hands were bleeding at the end, I did not spray paint "SWAG" on it and take a selfie. It was either kill the computer or kill the teacher, so I'd rather kill the computer. How DARE he say he was hurt by it and demand an apology. I still want an apology for my hands. I've got injury induced arthritis now, he's got nothing worrying him. I'm the injured party because I tried so hard to avoid attacking him. Therefore I'm in the wrong. I'm really too kind for this.

... Would you happen to have any tips for remembering stuff in a kata? I can't remember them in order no matter how hard I try.

Edited by Sadwyrm

... Would you happen to have any tips for remembering stuff in a kata? I can't remember them in order no matter how hard I try.

My tips would be to do what feels natural. Kata are meant to flow and not be rigid, the more smooth and flowing you make your Kata, the better. Imagine that rather than a straight blade that you carry a ribbon in your hands, and that you need to keep it in motion. It tends to make my technique much faster and much better-looking as well.

what I do is always insist on application demonstrations even if it's a simple move. Then I can better imagine and picture how I am supposed to be positioned in relation to attacker/s and have a more complete visualization of how things flow.

Edited by RawGritz

I so want to turn the trails off for the katana and all the other melee weapons. 

I can't see the cool movement forms with all these God of War-like trails. This is not Soul Calibur.

The Skana-type weapon basic combo doesn't seem to have changed at all, from what I've seen. Would you happen to know where to get Hydroid's parts? I want to be a puddle and giggle myself giddy at how silly it is.

My tips would be to do what feels natural. Kata are meant to flow and not be rigid, the more smooth and flowing you make your Kata, the better. Imagine that rather than a straight blade that you carry a ribbon in your hands, and that you need to keep it in motion. It tends to make my technique much faster and much better-looking as well.

That... Sounds like something I'd hear at the Terra Prime Lightsaber Academy, honestly. I'm actually fine with swords so far since we're still learning the basics and not a single kata yet, unless the happo-giri thing counts as a kata because I can do that easily if I didn't have to worry about my neighbour's stupid pots of cacti and other dangerous plants sitting everywhere. I'm still wondering why she has poisonous plants and cacti scattered across the bleeding corridor. My problem at the moment is remembering the order for that ridiculously hard-to-remember jo kata I'm supposed to memorise for aikido. Only about 8 unique movements and the other 16 or so are divided between poking forwards and backwards. I can never remember the order of poking. And the various different hand positions and movements for each poke.

... Besides, my kenjutsu teacher has seemingly decided to throw kata out the window in favour of full-contact sparring instead if we ever get to the level where we're allowed to do that. He's not much for aesthetics and more about effectiveness, according to him. Somehow hitting an unpredictable moving target is apparently better training than a pre-arranged kata. It doesn't seem to help me much because I have the habit of advancing backwards.

what I do is always insist on application demonstrations even if it's a simple move. Then I can better imagine and picture how I am supposed to be positioned in relation to attacker/s and have a more complete visualization of how things flow.

... Isn't that normally a bad idea if what I'm asking to be demonstrated happens to require a bokken or other weapon/wtraining simulator? I'm very sure that would hurt. Considering my teacher's movements and the fact that he made me spar with him(with padded weapons and helmets, etc) and left me with quite a bit of pain after three points, I tend not to trust the part where he says "I won't hit you" even though I know he has more than the control necessary not to hit me.

... But that's just my neck, shoulders and forearms talking. Ow.

EDITS: Editing out recurring words for a less awkward read.

Edited by Sadwyrm

Anyway... That was about twenty minutes against my teacher and I am very convinced that I need better reflexes now. It got kind of ridiculous when he started hitting me twice per very-short-round before I even realised he started moving.

EDIT: It also goes in favour of any opponent that I have trouble with wearing helmets.

EDIT2: And when I'm not wearing a helmet, the VOOM! scares me.

Edited by Sadwyrm