Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Incentive To Unequip Certain Weapons

Grandarex

I've always liked the idea of walking into a mission with nothing but Dual Vastos like a merciless desperado, or jumping into a mission with nothing but a melee weapon like a master swordsman or an unstoppable berserker.

Thanks to the recent update, now you can unequip whatever weapon you don't use! 

Although this is a nice feature, we need a bit of "bonus" to get this specialization rolling.

For example,

- If we have our Primary Weapon unequipped, give us larger ammo pool for Secondary Weapons

It makes no sense that we unburden ourselves from a whole weapon and 500+ ammo, yet, we can only carry 210-ish secondary ammo. I propose that when we unequip our primary weapon, we get bonus max ammo pool for secondary weapons, maybe around 400 or something.

Same thing can be said other way around. If we unequip our secondary weapon, give us slightly larger ammo pool for primary weapons. Maybe around 100~200 more, depending on primary weapon type.

- If we have both Primary and Secondary weapons unequipped, give us a slight boost to movement speed, max stamina and stamina regen.

If we unequip both weapons, it implies that the player is specializing in melee. It's a dangerous and risky gameplay style especially in high levels, so this slight movement speed bonus should definitely compensate. It also makes sense - you rid yourself of two weapons and ammo, you should naturally run faster and longer. 

If these changes are to be implemented, it would give players more power in playing this game the way they want to.

Thoughts?

This is part of the choice mechanic that makes Warframe better than just a shooter or RPG. What you choose to bring shapes how you play. If your secondary weapon is Twin Vipers and you're blowing out your ammo trying to hit distant targets, bring a highly efficient rifle as backup or set up your melee weapon to be more efficient with channel power, or have life leech to help you use it more.

Giving people free ammo or move speed dumbs the game down and allows bad builds to work. It would also raise complexity, without adding gameplay or raising depth. Something we definitely don't need right now.

I agree with this but know that there is a small incentive to unequipped already. If you are leveling something, having your other weapons unequipped will make what you are lvling, level faster. This is because all the xp that would normally be split is going to the only item you have equipped.

I do agree with your suggestions though. +1

This is part of the choice mechanic that makes Warframe better than just a shooter or RPG. What you choose to bring shapes how you play. If your secondary weapon is Twin Vipers and you're blowing out your ammo trying to hit distant targets, bring a highly efficient rifle as backup or set up your melee weapon to be more efficient with channel power, or have life leech to help you use it more.

Giving people free ammo or move speed dumbs the game down and allows bad builds to work. It would also raise complexity, without adding gameplay or raising depth. Something we definitely don't need right now.

I'm having a hard time trying to connect what you said to what I've said in OP.

None of those bonuses are "free" as you imply. They are only given to you if you choose to completely ditch a whole slot of a weapon or two, to further specialize in a playstyle that you choose.

If you asked someone that they can carry one or two more clip worth of ammo on your Soma if you come to a mission without a secondary weapon at all, you'd think this is insane. I want to further stress the emphasis on "a bit" and "slightly". 

None of these bonuses should be a reason for you to unequip a weapon, but an incentive or an encouragement to play the game the way you want to.

I agree with this but know that there is a small incentive to unequipped already. If you are leveling something, having your other weapons unequipped will make what you are lvling, level faster. This is because all the xp that would normally be split is going to the only item you have equipped.

I do agree with your suggestions though. +1

I'm 100% aware of this.

But I'm referring to the part of the game where you finish leveling your weapons and decide to actually... ya know, play the game.

I like to take my maxed out loadout for a spin from time to time, just to enjoy the game without worrying about farming or leveling lol.

Thanks for the heads up though.

I'm having a hard time trying to connect what you said to what I've said in OP.

None of those bonuses are "free" as you imply. They are only given to you if you choose to completely ditch a whole slot of a weapon or two, to further specialize in a playstyle that you choose.

If you asked someone that they can carry one or two more clip worth of ammo on your Soma if you come to a mission without a secondary weapon at all, you'd think this is insane. I want to further stress the emphasis on "a bit" and "slightly". 

None of these bonuses should be a reason for you to unequip a weapon, but an incentive or an encouragement to play the game the way you want to.

It's either meaningful or it's not. If it's not meaningful don't wast dev time. If it's meaningful then it's power creep.

You don't need incentive or encouragement to play how you want to. Plenty of people were running around using only melee, only pistol, or only rifle before this change. This change just cleaned up the way they look and allowed them to shift XP, which is it's own incentive and always will be because even with a maxed out build XP gained by a specific weapon will still matter once we get the Focus system implemented.

Edited by VKhaun

...Ya'll know that removing other weapons means less XP gets split across everything else, right? That's the bonus; what you leave in gets more XP. 

The other stuff you're talking about is where mods come in. Which you can fit more of with Forma, which requires XP after you use it.

yep was thinking about the same.

it could be ewen cooler, some craftable,  small punch/backpaks, that u could equip(teno style ofcourse) instead of weapons.

or maybe allow to equip aditional mods for each weap missing etc etc.  

as for saying that would allow for bad builds to work... well that would be kind of point sisnce i dont agree that there is bad buils, there are build that work and there are build that dont since they are missing something. id rather hawe 100 builds that can work that 10 that is working.

It's either meaningful or it's not. If it's not meaningful don't wast dev time. If it's meaningful then it's power creep.

You don't need incentive or encouragement to play how you want to. Plenty of people were running around using only melee, only pistol, or only rifle before this change. This change just cleaned up the way they look and allowed them to shift XP, which is it's own incentive and always will be because even with a maxed out build XP gained by a specific weapon will still matter once we get the Focus system implemented.

Again, having a bit of difficulty trying to understand what you're trying to say on the first sentence. (Does that mean nobody should suggest anything ever?)

Nevertheless, this suggestion sort of stems from.. well, just about every other games that allow you to equip and unequip items off of your inventory. Some games like CoD: Ghosts (sorry, didn't really want to use CoD game as an example) allow you to unequip just about everything in exchange for more "perk points" for you to use. Other games rely on "weight" system where unequipping one gear allow you to carry more of another, etc. 

It's a pretty common system that's used everywhere - unequip something and reap an equal or less benefit of another.

I really don't see how this would adversely affect the game. Really.

...Ya'll know that removing other weapons means less XP gets split across everything else, right? That's the bonus; what you leave in gets more XP. 

The other stuff you're talking about is where mods come in. Which you can fit more of with Forma, which requires XP after you use it.

Like I mentioned above, (Post #6 of this thread) I'm talking in perspective of a player who's running with an already-maxed gear. So I'm not concerned with XP distribution, although I recognize it as a nice thing.