The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ideas For Future Outdoor Levels.

Luminati07

I posted my idea in another thread regarding weather, but I thought I'd start my own so I could expand on it a little bit, and my idea will probably get more attention with its own thread.

I'd love to see some sort of weather mechanic in future outdoor settings.

Before the level begins, the game would decide on a particular weather setting out of a list.

Some ideas I thought were:

Daytime.

Nighttime.

Snow.

Light / Medium / Heavy Rain

Light /.Heavy Thunderstorms.

Snow.

Fog.

Perhaps a desert level with sand storms.

Expanding on that idea, perhaps a combination of weather states could be selected randomly by the game.

Foggy daytime.

Foggy rain.

Snowing night time.

Raining daytime.

Raining nighttime.

Foggy nighttime.

etc.

There's a ton of possibilities.

For those who have played Battlefield 3 (I quit a very long time ago), you may, or may not, have noticed the amount of players wishing for night time / rainy / snowing maps.

The following video is fanmade, and shows how different a map can feel with a simple weather or time change. (Not simple to make, I'm sure. But something like night time can seriously change how you view a map)

Another possibility includes possible gameplay changes from weather states.

Night time maps - Increases stealth ability, but would reduce your ability to see enemies. However, it also means that enemies have a harder time seeing you.

Thunderstorms - A (very rare) chance of lightning hitting the ground, would stagger you if nearby, or damage you if it's a direct hit. But also has a chance of hitting enemies, or staggering a group of them.

Fog - Much like night time, reduces visibility of you and enemies, but increases your ability to sneak around.

There really is a ton of options that open up, just from the state of weather / time.

One other huge plus of a weather system, is that it could greatly reduce the 'same-y' feel of the current maps.

Another idea that just popped into my mind.

Maybe a level in a bunker, or underground.

Earthquakes, or explosions could (rarely) randomly happen.

Maybe causing you and enemies to stagger, or even make the roof collapse in some areas, forcing Lotus to reroute your path to the objective.

I may expand on this later, this thread is mostly about weather.

Thanks for reading, thoughts?

Sounds really good and would add a lot more variety to the maps it's going to be used on. The problem is that they'd have to make more outdoor levels and I don't know whether or not the devs are planning do it. And I don't know if they will add so much 'weather customization' for just 1-2 outdoor levels.

Sounds really good and would add a lot more variety to the maps it's going to be used on. The problem is that they'd have to make more outdoor levels and I don't know whether or not the devs are planning do it. And I don't know if they will add so much 'weather customization' for just 1-2 outdoor levels.

Thanks for the support.

I'm not sure whether the devs are making more outdoor maps either, but the last ones they released were received very positively, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

In regards to your last point, I know what you mean, it's definitely a massive thing for the devs to create. If it was implemented, it would be something much further down the line.

aww yeah imagine: space ninjas sliding trough fog in night time and slicing marines

+support for variety. We could also get stuff like nightvision / thermal to adapt ourselves to different environments.

This sounds like a good idea which can bring variety to the 4-5 different map styles we currently have. But weather should be a on/off graphics option, of course.

Cheers for the support guys, much appreciated.

And I agree, the weather (at least fog / rain etc) would need to be optional graphically.

I support this idea! It would be nice. More variety, more onplanet maps and more less-darker maps.

I especially support desert maps and forest maps.

I could see myself being struck by lightning. +1

Cheers for the support guys.

Always nice to know there's people out there who approve of your idea. :)