Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Feedback On Melee 2.0

Kasseopea

Well, played with it for a while now. Tested Tranquill Cleave, Cleaving Whirlwind and Reaping Spiral. As for now it feels - above all else - redundant.

1. No charge anymore. Most big weapons like Galatine got utterly useless or very situational.

2. The combos themself are barely executable unless you are a bored Rhino, Frost or Trinity. By the time you get into the ultra-cool finishing move you've been gunned down by the 20 Grineer/Corpus or obliterated by 2-3 Ancients.

3. Channeling eats up lots of energy with damage/utility modding and is basically useless when modded for efficiency, since Reflex Coil and Focus Energy take the space of a proper damage mod, the latter being nullified by Corrupt Charge.

4. Damage multiplier is counterintuitive. You are supposed to combine firepower with melee, basically gun kata. We are the ultimate space warriors ffs! However, the falloff is not even gradual - you can line up 40 hits just to loose them all by running 4 meters to the next enemy.

5. There is no real melee-dispatching anymore. If an enemy got close to you before melee 2.0 your thought was "Ohhhh, snap! Big mistake buddy! Hehehehe...". After melee 2.0 its "Ohhhh, snap! Now i have to back up and kite them with my main weapon or reload, because my melee is weaker".

Ofcourse we all can happily hopp on the Dragon Kata...sorry, "Nikana" train and toot-toot into the sunset, but im not playing a game with 55 melee weapons to roll with one forever.

Now the stances ive tested:

Tranquill Cleave: Looks pretty, but difficult to execute. Ofcourse you can master it and the payoff will be great, but its the for our beloved and allpowerful Dragon Kata...DAMN! Nikana (sorry, im always forgetting that its not a Katana, because it was too much asked to give us a fckn Katana for once, so they made some thin, ugly toothpick instead of a proud and beautiful blade, showing how "creative" they are at the only thing no fckn creativity was ever asked for). Its also difficult to get to the point of it being sold for 100+ plat on some days, because barely anyone has the nerve to farm Cambria for 3 days or so.

Reaping Spiral: Slow, unhandy and while cool looking, not very useful. Scythes are small. This mod would have been useful on Galatine or Orthos, but playing Beyblade with half a meter AoE??? Cmon, thats insultig, im getting faster results with a Lato than with this bull. I even had fury and still got shot to clump in a Frost with 300+ armor, ~1200 shield and ~800 HP on a T3 def in wave 10 or so before i could get rid of the enemy. Perfectly executing the combo ofcourse, its not that complicated. Which was btw an easy task with my Hate before melee 2.0.

Cleaving Whirlwind: Ok, so i can use my Galatine, but only after ive made 2 strikes that deal NO damage whatsoever, then spinning at snail's pace and then, if the enemy dicides not to kindly take one step away and shoot me in the face, i might get a kill or two? Are you serious? Only useable against Infested and even then its questionable at best. You probably will get a proc-hit from a poison or distortion Ancient, which ofcouse is rather bad and although you are able to withstand knockdowns - and with a tankier frame the damage aswell - you wont use it anywhere else.

Before melee 2.0 it was legit to get to a boss close and personal and just b*tchslap him for 10-30k damage, now you are spinning around him like an idiot, pretending to deal damage, instead of using your Synapse which casually deals 15k crits per tick without having the risk of being pounded into the ground.

All in one: Melee 2.0 should have encouraged the players to use it more, complete whole missions with melee only, but now - while some people are trying to and sometimes succeed - its less than attractive. Beside Rhino, Trinity and maybe Valkyr and Frost, most frames arent layed out to be in CQC for a long time. Normally you were shooting, charging in, wreaking a little chaos with your melee and parkouring out of it again to continue firing. With the new combos you have to stay close and personal, all while Corpus/Grinee are either backing up or giving you instant nose jobs if they are heavy. With Life Strike being the only defensive mod for the new system and Rage being difficult to obtain nothing makes it worthwhile to get into melee unless you ran out of ammo and you have to.

With the new "champion" units or whatever they are (frost shield and fire ring abilities) we have even less reason to go in, since it makes the whole thing rather suicidal.

As for myself - i am disappointed to alsmost 100%. Most Stances bring only one attack pattern more. Thats not the cool DMC-/Darksiders-esque system we were promised, its a gimmick and you will see that most players a treating it as such. After almost 2 weeks i barely see anything disintegrating, unless a nova is there. No one uses channeling and barely anyone uses melee-only and even if its mostly for the lolz as the players themselves admit when asked.

Edited by Kasseopea

They buffed it up, the dual wield and katana's are VERY powerful.

Heavy weapons however, currently just... Stink.  They didn't compensate those weapons for the removal of charge, and now of course we have a mess.

They buffed it up, the dual wield and katana's are VERY powerful.

Heavy weapons however, currently just... Stink.  They didn't compensate those weapons for the removal of charge, and now of course we have a mess.

Nooo, its "Nikana's"! xD.....Q_Q

There is basically only one Kata...OMG, Nikana (when will i get it, duh) atm. Dragon Nikana is a buffed up nikana, basically its the same weapon with capped damage types due to mastery Lv.

Duals and Sparring are not the best aswell - when using the whole system at its fullest you will eat up your energy like nothing due to the high hit-rate

1. No charge anymore. Most big weapons like Galatine got utterly useless or very situational.

So much this.

DE need to buff heavy melee weapon to make them worthwhile.

We still want them feeling heavy, so buffing the damage is probably the best way.

Giving them an additional buff to Channeling attacks would also be sweet.

5. There is no real melee-dispatching anymore. If an enemy got close to you before melee 2.0 your thought was "Ohhhh, snap! Big mistake buddy! Hehehehe...". After melee 2.0 its "Ohhhh, snap! Now i have to back up and kite them with my main weapon or reload, because my melee is weaker".

Wait, what?

Wait, what?

By that i mean, that melee lost its function. Before you used to be happy that enemies got in close range, so you could kill them easily, now you are annoyed, as you have to back up and shoot them, since your melee is crap and equipping it takes longer than simply reloading your gun

By that i mean, that melee lost its function. Before you used to be happy that enemies got in close range, so you could kill them easily, now you are annoyed, as you have to back up and shoot them, since your melee is crap and equipping it takes longer than simply reloading your gun

I repeat: Wait, what?

Melee is more powerful then it ever was.

I repeat: Wait, what?

Melee is more powerful then it ever was.

*than

Also - no, it is not. To use it properly you first have to equip a different weapon - you know, at that certain point, when the enemy is close enough to hit you and you actually want to use it, and unless you are using this holstering aura - which would be rather wastefull - you will be either utilizing the weak non-combo attacks, wasting time and eating damage by chaging weapons or eat ranged attacks without using ranged weapons.

The fluent combination between melee and ranged is completely gone and with it the style of combat most people actually enjoyed. Now im not saying that its completely pointless to equip melee as your main weapon and add combos, im saying that removing the charged attacks so people are forced to use combos and channeling was a mistake. I can understand why they did so - you cant make a patch that would be great in all aspects, you have to f*ck up something at the same time, guess its a gamedesign rule.

Besides - weapons that are supposed to be stronges but slowest are now slowest and weakest. Ofcouse you can score a 400k crit with a galatine, but at a headshot, aura buff, 16% crit proc etc etc. A normal crit deals maybe 5k, 15k if you spin with whirlwind. However, 16% arent worth building for.

My only complaint in melee 2.0 is the switch time, and I'm surprised you didn't even mention blocking in your post (since blocking is actually useful now)

Havent found so. Its still kind of wasting stamina for reduced damage. Reflection might be useful, but other than this its something that very few players use at all.

They didn't remove quick-melee from the game.  Everything you could do in quick melee (except charge) is still in the game.  With the exception if heavy weapons (whose speed was nerfed, along with Fury being nerfed), pretty much every weapon got buffed damage so quick-melee is still viable.  I routinely still quick-melee things that get close to me when I need to reload.

Edited by Gelkor

They didn't remove quick-melee from the game.  Everything you could do in quick melee (except charge) is still in the game.  With the exception if heavy weapons (whose speed was nerfed, along with Fury being nerfed), pretty much every weapon got buffed damage so quick-melee is still viable.  I routinely still quick-melee things that get close to me when I need to reload.

Yes, but barely anyone used quickmelee before. Its weak and has neither stagger, nor momentum. Tried to use Dakra Prime before the patch and it felt as if i would gently brush their cheeks rather than cuttining in pieces. No one forced them to remove charge, we could still have the old system when a firearm is equipped and the new dancing-simulator when melee is equipped.