Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestions] Encouraging Team Play In Public Servers

SFkenny

During my brief sojurn into the online play of Warframe I was dismayed at how much less fun the game was then when playing by myself on a Solo local server. Considering the game is focused entirely on co-op PVE, there are a few niggling problems.

- Not enough players with microphones. Not a single person in the entire 2-3 hours online that I played today had a microphone. This is a huge barrier to communicating and strategizing effectively with your teammates. My idea to address this would be to have a small XP bonus when players have a microphone connected, similar to the Login bonus roll for mod cards. It should be a minor enough buff that it won't unbalance the game, but have enough of an effect that players would want to buy a microphone to use in-game.

- Another possible idea is to include Counter Strike style radio messages to use to communicate with players. I am hesitant to recommend this unless there is a vote-kick function, because radio message spammers are often even more annoying than mic spammers.

- XP for kill assists should be rendered in a different color than the default chrome blue so we know who is getting what experience. Perhaps, even fire a label for how much XP you get when you kill-assist. Teammates working together to take on targets should be the goal, rather than the experience I had where it was basically like playing solo except other players were stealing kills and credit/resource drops. I do like the XP for resurrecting teammates, this is a good idea and should stay in to encourage people to keep their mates alive.

- Whoever gets the kill should have first crack at a dropped Core. Perhaps it should glow the color of the armor of the player who killed the unit for five seconds, and then revert to default colors to indicate anyone can pick it up?

Edited by SFkenny

My idea to address this would be to have a small XP bonus when players have a microphone connected, similar to the Login bonus roll for mod cards. It should be a minor enough buff that it won't unbalance the game, but have enough of an effect that players would want to buy a microphone to use in-game.

Interesting idea, but I don't think it would work. I don't think people are going to go out and buy mics for a small in-game incentive, particularly if they don't already have any friends who play the game.

- Another possible idea is to include Counter Strike style radio messages to use to communicate with players. I am hesitant to recommend this unless there is a vote-kick function, because radio message spammers are often even more annoying than mic spammers.

As far as I've been able to tell, Lotus is the only Tenno aligned character that speaks... so I don't know how this would be implemented. Maybe some kind of telepathic communication would be cool? I like the idea, it would improve teamwork, but yes always the issue of the spammers..

Also I'm not sure you realise that all in-game reward drops like credits, resources and mods are shared. You need to go pick up resource and mod drops, but they don't disappear once the first person runs over them. If you're playing with even slightly considerate teammates you should notice waypoints popping up when someone spots a mod drop. But yeah some nice ideas OP!

Online Missions:

You get in, get the job done, get out.

No more, no less.

No talking or communicating at all.

Just shut up and get it done ASAP.

Private Missions:

Play with your friends.

Take your time.

Talk.

Communicate as much as you want.

That's how it rolls.

Get used to it. :)

- Not enough players with microphones. Not a single person in the entire 2-3 hours online that I played today had a microphone. This is a huge barrier to communicating and strategizing effectively with your teammates. My idea to address this would be to have a small XP bonus when players have a microphone connected, similar to the Login bonus roll for mod cards. It should be a minor enough buff that it won't unbalance the game, but have enough of an effect that players would want to buy a microphone to use in-game.

It's not that I don't have a microphone, it's that Warframes VOIP just flat out does not appear to work, and I have no indication if it is or isn't working.

I test my microphone and it works fine according to the test meter in the game, but when I go into game, and say "type something into chat if you can hear me" I never get a response. And since there's no 'this person is using voip' indicator anywhere I can't tell if it's cause they games not detecting my voice or if they're ignoring me.

As such me and my friends just use the VOIP in steam, but in pub matches no VOIP because VOIP doesnt work.

^The game's difficulty really depends on the map and your Warframe spec. Now that I have a level 14 Loki tricked out with tons of mods, I really steamroll through maps. But earlier on when I was trying the later maps I was getting my &#! handed to me in single player.

• 4 weeks later...

Online Missions:

You get in, get the job done, get out.

No more, no less.

No talking or communicating at all.

Just shut up and get it done ASAP.

Private Missions:

Play with your friends.

Take your time.

Talk.

Communicate as much as you want.

That's how it rolls.

Get used to it. :)

???????

lighten up bro. there should definitely be more party tools to boost the social aspect of the game