Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grinding And Why It's Not A Bad Thing [I Declare This A Megathread]

CryoClaw

Grinding is only a good thing if it's equal pay for equal work.

I don't consider 100+ hours on earth and 0 Nikana stances equal pay for equal work.

Not to mention for newbies this is even worse...unless they get super lucky...they won't know the joys of stances for a while...

I am actually running out of stuff to grind for. After 750 hours ingame and 1300 hours logged in steam without paying platin for weapons in the market  (except for the Wyrm when I started playing) I am starting to lose a reason to keep on playing this game.

As a matter of fact. Grinding gives us a goal in this game. The developers know it and they are constantly tweaking the system due to community feedback.

They want us to spend time grinding but at the same time they don't want to frustrate players. Its a balancing act.

The market is actually a little contradicting here if you ask me. We have the option to buy stuff for platin that we otherwise would have to farm several hours for. Some say its a convenient store. Others say its basically reducing the amount of time a player will spend actually playing the game.

Well, after a whole year of beta and a steady growth (as far as I know) it seems to work. But for how long?

DE (Scott, I believe) stated once that the lack of new content was the death for many free to play games similar to warframe. New content keeps the game alive but not if we chew through that content in a matter of hours after its release.

Maybe some of you remember the day when the dojo's got introduced. Clans where spending thousands of platin to finish building everything in the dojo in a day. Good for the wealth of the company but bad for the game's survival overall.

I think I would have stopped playing a long time ago if I would have bought a great portion of content with platin.

What I am saying is, people should not hate the grind so much. Its what drives many players. This game is designed around it and I believe without the grind, Warframe would not be as successful as it is.

IMO, Grinding isn't boring. Eventually, the venue can change, but if you get bored, do something else with it. Do something new. Do a melee run, or switch to a completely different weapon and playstyle. Get on skype with some friends, or listen to podcasts (thats what I like to do). At the very least, try to enjoy the sounds of Grineer ranks being sliced by a copter (Admit it it is a fun sound). 

200 runs isn't much in a game with damn near empty drop tables (it is remarkably bad luck). go play some Korean mmo's and look for that super rare 0.0005% op necklace. Thats grind

Taking a week just to get from lvl 29 to 30. That's grind.

Collecting a handful of mats once a day for a year. That's grind.

TBH, I'm looking for grind in warframe. I'm also looking for the rng since i happen to be in the "ran the boss five times, got it at wave five min, five" crowd

I guess when you come from games with real soul crushing grind you just see that Warframe hardly has any.

The problem is this; those games have largely a huge and well-established realm to "hide" that grind in. When you do a run you get credits, mats, drops and xp. You rank up to grow in strength/skill and thus the next run will be a little different or easier. You aquire materials for ongoing crafting projects. You get credits you do in fact need. You get items, maybe a rare, to sell on the auction house. You get a new spell/gem/enchantment to embue your armor with. You aquire faction favor. When moving about in the world you rank up your steed/vehicle and have chances of rare encounters. And so on. Progression. Or the illusion of it. But most of all - you have so much to grind/want you can shift focus and not burn out on doing ONE mission repeatedly. In WF I have a handful of items I want/need and so I am stuck running the same content over and over without any progression whatsoever.

Yes, I have done my fair share of proper mmo grind and Warframe does not come close, but rarely has a grind felt so stagnant and taunting to me. When I look at what (little) content I need/want to play 80% of it is unavailable to me locked behind the rng wall - which means the few shots I DO get at a lucky roll in my favor are that much more potent and potentially enfuriating. (*cough* T3 *cough*) I suppose my issue is with the gated content and the grind just to have a chance at playing it.

Edited by Kyria