The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Full Sail University?

Droughboi

How's it going everyone. So let's talk about Full Sail University. I'm considering going to this school, but I seeing mixed comments about the school. I have 36 months of-what is to me- basically free schooling. Nothing is coming directly out of my pocket. I want to be a Artist/3D artist/Environment Artist/Character Artist/Concept Artist etc etc. ART. Basically an artist for Games, movies, and all sorts of entertainment.

Here's Why I want to go:
-It's an accelerated program in which I could get a bachelors and master's in (seems sketchy)

-It's 5 hours from home. I've been away from home for the past 6 years. I miss my people. <--- Extremely Important to me.

-100% Yellow Ribbon benefits (Google if you don't know what that is)

-Other places would require more than 36 months to get a degree, which is a no-no for me since I don't do loans and not sure how far scholarships could take me. I'm not going to depend on something I don't have.

Why I'm skeptical about going:
-Lots of talk of people not getting jobs.

-The degrees are a joke? Opinion?

-Apparently it's accreditation and education is suspect or faulty since it's a "For-profit" school? Is this an opinion?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i'm curious about how serious the degree will be taken when an employer sees it. Do they look at it and go "Hmmm okay." or do they go "Ha... idiot *smh*."? When googling the current subject people often say that degrees from the school are useless and they have a hard time getting jobs. Is this a direct reflection of the applicants work ethic and effort; or is this result of learning nothing worthwhile from the school? Also, when I was researching the current subject it seemed liked everyone that had a hard time getting a job did something in Music Production and related degrees. Is choice of degree something that should be taken into consideration when choosing a school? I.E. this school has a good music degree but a bad art degree. 

Money isn't an issue for me; it's the time that's an issue. Again, this is why it would be good because I need to get as much education under my belt as possible in 36 months; It's basically free. After that I'll start having to look at other means of funding. Scholarships may be a possibility, grants are always welcome, and loans are a "hell-naw".

I'm always open to suggestions. What other schools would you suggest for someone pursuing what i'm trying to do? I'm currently in California, I have family in Washington (state) and Georgia; and by may 2015, my plan will start moving. I'm still currently researching LA Film institute, Digipen, and UCLA.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks for the input. I knew pretty much all of that already. I guess my main question is what amount of the negativity is an opinion and what amount is fact. I'm currently knocking out core classes atm, but I wish I had a list of legit schools or programs that would point me in the right direction.

Edit: I doesn't necessarily have to be a game school. It could be any school, it just seems like entertainment based schools have exactly what i'm looking for. I just want... Art...that goes from the canvas to the computer... :l

Edited by Droughboi