The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Think There Should Be Male And Female Versions Of Each Warframe...

Zeruel104

We've got female frames.Yay.

They're not bimbo's. Yay.

Maybe we'll have a "gender" / power unlocking in the future. Yay.

Darn right. The no bimbos thing is huge. I can't play LoL at all because the character design turns me away. So skanky :(

But in the meantime, whenever I play a 'male' frame, I'll just remind myself that it just a suit of armor. And kick my armorers backside when I get back to base.

The last part there made my day

I'm of the mind that if you are playing a game as good as Warframe you should be able to customize your frame as it is essentially YOU! The customization options aren't that great as far as the way our frame looks but that doesn't bother me to much a the moment, I'm sure it willa t a later date though here's hopin' well get more armor frame customization. Now back on topic. What does is the fact the devs are being hard headed about the gender part of the customization. We as the player base are the ones who give the devs their salary and make the game what it is.

Yes dev's you created this amazing game and we all love it. I've quit all my other mmos because this game is just pure awesomesauce. However imo it's the little things that are going to kill you guys in the long run as far as keeping your player base. I've seen it happen to so many games out there that could have been great but lacked the "little things". Not to mention I'm sorry for being blunt but it is really petty not to have gender options as a choice for customization. We are paying for the plat to play these characters and we should be able to customize them, whats so hard about adding boobs and a nice butt anyway???? more eye candy if you think about it! And while this is a F2P game you make more money off your player base selling items in the market. It's a good idea and more power to you I enjoy giving you guys more money for a good game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is please don't be hard headed on adding things because it's what YOU want it should be what we ALL want. The Dev's who create the content and balance and the players who play the game enjoy it and give you money we are all in this together.

1) Choice is always good. Like freedom. Dosn't mean people will use or abuse it, but the ability to make a choice is to my mind, always inherently good.

2) Being able to choose your frame's "gender" - remember frames are bio-mechanical armor from what little lore we know - independant from their powers. Would be good.

3) I have more respect for a game that has an equal or near equal representation of women folks. That means, there has to be women, and they can't all be sex objects. The less objectified they are, the better. Warframe is so far acheiving a good grade in this respect.

4) I understand DE's position, both in terms of their game's state as a beta, and their limited staff and resources.

So my basic conclusion on this topic. No matter how many different thread titles get pasted onto it is:

But in the meantime, whenever I play a 'female' frame, I'll just remind myself that it just a suit of armor. And kick my armorers backside when I get back to base.

Spot on! (edited your post to reflect that im a guy).

Referring to point 4: the game is in it early stages, and while i realise some people cant get the level of immersion they want right now due to mismatched genders, this is BETA. Letting the devs know about something you'd appreciate is all well and good, but i think they have more important things to do now than give Frost mammary glands and a helmet that resembles a gauze veil. Gameplay, bug fixes, content, the mods system and even lore should come before immersion. That can be left for when the game is closer to being a release candidate.

Side note: i do kinda want to see the artists take on a female Frost or Rhino now. despite what ive said and am about to say....

Im going to have to do a massive lore-dive in a second just to see if im about to butcher anything but perhaps the frames are genderlocked for lore reasons. I put this in the other gender thread - maybe the warframes are all built in the image of past heroes, and the honor system the Tenno have prevents them from modifying the image of the original Banshee out of respect. I could get behind this explanation and still be suitably immersed in "who" im playing as. Would this satisfy anyone who is having immersion issues?

Also, thumbs up to PiggySaysWhat for the post on the second page, well put too.

Edited by Insanityman

Im going to have to do a massive lore-dive in a second just to see if im about to butcher anything but perhaps the frames are genderlocked for lore reasons. I put this in the other gender thread - maybe the warframes are all built in the image of past heroes, and the honor system the Tenno have prevents them from modifying the image of the original Banshee out of respect. I could get behind this explanation and still be suitably immersed in "who" im playing as. Would this satisfy anyone who is having immersion issues?

I quite like this explanation. There's a few suggestions floating around at the momment, working off the idea that the frames are all clones of their Prime variants. So all Excalibur's are designed, 'grown' or cloned from the template of the Excalibur Prime, and that sits well with my head-cannon too.

I mean, at the end of the day, DE is going to make a choice at some stage whether to go with gameplay or story on this (every descision in game design comes down to this). We'll either have suits that have a locked gender appearence and a rich detailed backstory as to why they're that way. Or the ability to pick our frames "gender" appearence, and miss out on the opportunity for a sense of clear charactrisation.

I think at this stage, the best thing to do, is just see how many people support which side, let DE get a guage of where our community sits on this - and then see what they come up with. I think it's fairly clear by now that we can trust them to find a creative solution. I wouldn't be surprised if they, for example, kept frames locked in a gender archetype, but added platinum or even very expesive credit "remodelling packs" to give your frame of choice an appearence overhaul. Who knows, we might even be lucky enough to get the ability to buy a gender 'slider' and find our own ideal look.

Lets all just respect that we have our own veiws on this, don't get &!$$y at anyone for having ones different to yours, and excersize a bit of paitence. A lot of us have already said what we're saying before, and heard what others are saying - but this is how we do constructive feedback. A lot of talk and discussion, and a good outcome for all at the end.

Edited by 11.11.11

head-cannon

Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head.

Anyway yeah, warframes are suits of power armour, as evidenced by basically every piece of lore we have about them, so there's really no reason for your character to be swapping gender when wearing different ones. Hardly a top priority for me, but it would be nice to see it addressed eventually.

I see no reason not to have the option to choose gender.

3) As a female gamer, I have more respect for a game that has an equal or near equal representation of women folks. That means, there has to be women, and they can't all be sex objects. The less objectified they are, the better. Warframe is so far acheiving a good grade in this respect.

Really? I'm curious, does this really offend you? Because men play games with huge muscled chiseled jawed testosterone 'everythings a battle' types, and it doesn't effect me, what annoys you about it?

Edited by Nevara

Really? I'm curious, does this really offend you? Because men play games with huge muscled chiseled jawed testosterone 'everythings a battle' types, and it doesn't effect me, what annoys you about it?

What offends me about the few occasions in which women are included as playable characters in a game, and are little more than objectified sex icons? Uhm. I don't mean to be rude, but are you serious?

What offends me about the few occasions in which women are included as playable characters in a game, and are little more than objectified sex icons? Uhm. I don't mean to be rude, but are you serious?

Sex objects? Are you serious? The men who have huge muscles and chiseled jaws can also be seen to be 'sex objects' from a female perspective, do men complain? No, because it's not a serious thing. Get a clue.

I was disappointed when I read they took the invincibility away from Saryn. I really wanted to play a female character that is very tough to kill. I prefer to play female characters because I'm a single male and the female characters are nicer to look at.

Another good reason to allow gender selection and further character customization is that the most successful MMO proved that the stronger connection you can create between a player and their character, the longer the game will last.

Edited by Zylli

Another good reason to allow gender selection and further character customization is that the most successful MMO proved that the stronger connection you can create between a player and their character, the longer the game will last.

Same.

Sex objects? Are you serious? The men who have huge muscles and chiseled jaws can also be seen to be 'sex objects' from a female perspective, do men complain? No, because it's not a serious thing. Get a clue.

A heterosexual female perspective I think you mean to say. You can't assume every woman is either attracted to men, or is attracted to huge muscles and chiseled jaws.

It's not a serious thing? No. systematic indoctrination to a fundamentally biased viewpoint isn't a serious thing. *sarcasm* We shouldn't be concerned about our media, which are reflections of our society - when they're full of muscle mountains and melons strapped to lamp-posts. Trivializing anything gives it power. I'm sorry if you haven't learnt this life lesson yet, but the history books are engraved with it.

And it's fine if you don't see this as a serious problem. Please, by all means go ahead and enjoy your games, films and movies full of archetypal men and women. Just pay me the same courtesy in turn. I think sexism and sexualisation of our media is a serious problem. Get a clue? We can agree to disagree, like adults, or you can be a child about it - your choice.

Edited by 11.11.11

I will say this:

As implied by one of the bosses within Warframe, your armor is a "second skin" (think Crysis nanosuit - like, melding with your flesh). This might be why the frames are locked to each 'character' / gender? I agree that it would be nice to have this, it should be something waaaay down the priority list.

Get the game in a 100% working, bug free (impossible, but can't hurt to be optimistic) before throwing a large amount of cosmetic stuff everywhere.

A few skins and color packs here and there are fine (they're already implemented in the game, and you DO need at least a few to test out the feature), I'd just like to see all the base content finished first.

A heterosexual female perspective I think you mean to say. You can't assume every woman is either attracted to men, or is attracted to huge muscles and chiseled jaws.

No, i meant to say female, so i said female. The default status of men is that they find women attractive, and vica versa.

It's not a serious thing? No. systematic indoctrination to a fundamentally biased viewpoint isn't a serious thing. *sarcasm* We shouldn't be concerned about our media, which are reflections of our society - when they're full of muscle mountains and melons strapped to lamp-posts. Trivializing anything gives it power. I'm sorry if you haven't learnt this life lesson yet, but the history books are engraved with it.

How is women having big knockers 'biased'? The men have big muscles, do men complain? No. Because it's not part of some agenda, some 'mind game' to control us, or influence us, no body wants to see or play ugly people, that's basically it. Hence big knockers and huge muscles. I trivialize it, because it's trivial, and only sensitive souls who have too much time on their hands and look into everything far too deeply in order to have something to be 'outraged' about care about it. Other people just play the game.

And it's fine if you don't see this as a serious problem. Please, by all means go ahead and enjoy your games, films and movies full of archetypal men and women. Just pay me the same courtesy in turn. I think sexism and sexualisation of our media is a serious problem. Get a clue? We can agree to disagree, like adults, or you can be a child about it - your choice.

How about you continue to be a child, and throw a hissy fit if a video game character has bigger breasts then you, and i'll just carry on knowing it's just a game. You seriously need to educate yourself, women ARE sex objects, that's kinda the point of having opposite sexes, to find the other attractive and so procreation, I'm not going into the birds and the bees because you should know this, it's really basic stuff.

[size=4]How about you continue to be a child, and throw a hissy fit if a video game character has bigger breasts then you, and i'll just carry on knowing it's just a game. You seriously need to educate yourself, women ARE sex objects.[/size]

People are more than sex objects. Women in particular have long been marginalised as nothing but. The rest of your post was almost reasonable, but you shot yourself in the leg right there.

I'd be fine with either way, and I realize this is still an open beta, but if they were really clones/robots/suits or whatever, then why would they be restricted to just one sex (or even have a sex??). You'd be able to construct a rhino of the same strength and durability regardless of whether or not it was female or male.

Also....

People are more than sex objects. Women in particular have long been marginalised as nothing but. The rest of your post was almost reasonable, but you shot yourself in the leg right there.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh gonna have to go with you on this one. Uncool.

Edited by Fleetwing

The purpose of having different sexes is to procreate, this is helped by being attracted to each other. If some of this biological programming seeps into video games, then so be it, to complain about it is the height of stupidity. As for women being 'just' sex objects, who's fault is that? you think women show cleavage or short dresses to show off their intellectual skills? Rubbish, you are your own worst enemy. Good job avoiding everything i said by the way. The Rhino warframe has bigger muscles then me, it's 'sexualising' men to a bunch of horny women, probably, but mostly likely not, and even if it was, i wouldn't care, because it's not a big deal. Your opinion about my post is pretty irrelevant.

Part of the reason any of us guys dont get offended when we take control of the "Marcus Fenix"s of games is that its believeable to have a muscle bound gorilla kicking &#! on the front lines. (Maybe we should be offended that hes as good looking as he is, being that hes survived how many explosions and doesnt wear a helmet -.- ). I think it has more to do with the fact that the women who end up on the front lines in so many games go into combat dressed like sexy nurses or wearing chainmail bikinis. Its pure fanservice aimed only at one part of the gamer demographic, with a clear disregard for the women. I dont think too many people consider Gears of War a fanservice series for women...

What we really need to see, is the writers of the Bad Company series add woman or two to the team, I think they might do em justice.

this thread kinda became something else... though I have to agree mostly with 11.11.11's views on the subject I will not completely disagree with Nevara as I think sexism is a two way street, not as prevailent mind you, but its still there.