The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

A Strange Issue Accompanying My Driver Updates... Help!

FinnishHim

For months I had been getting a message on start up of my computer saying that my AMD driver was malfunctioning or missing. With my computer's performance in warframe being annoying lately as it sometimes paused for a couple seconds every few missions (ex. One frame of Excal rolling for about two seconds), I decided to see how much my computer could handle. I turned on motion blur (thats it) and I got this freeze problem occuring every minute or so.

Satisfied knowing something was up, I set out to fix my AMD driver issue. I have an AMD Radeon HD 7500G, and went to the AMD site and downloaded AMD Catalyst Control Center and had it install its host of drivers based on my machine. Cool. Except warframe then had some issues where the screen would be covered by black box(es) for a split second every couple seconds.

I didnt even play a mission before I went about uninstalling everything AMD, and then I reinstalled the Control Center and went through its process again.

Now, I still get the black boxes, but they occur significantly less often but still numerous times per mission, usually when I direct the camera to somewhere I hadn't looked before or when I spin it around quickly.

Curiously, however, the actual graphics ran NOTICEABLY better than before. To test this I raised settings to medium and high that I had left on low for months. No freeze issue, and my framerate was visually HIGHER than it was on the lower settings before all the AMD installation stuff.

So, the tradeoff was amazing graphics and framerate, along with black flashes, to replace my old, worse graphics and framerate and occassional freezeframe.

Anyone know whats going on? Can anybody explain the black flashes (only ever for part of my screen at once) and how to make them stop occuring so I can enjoy the drastic improvement of performance otherwise?

Im aware this might be more computer related in general than warframe but I would really appreciate some help here!

Thanks!

Edited by FinnishHim

For months I had been getting a message on start up of my computer saying that my AMD driver was malfunctioning or missing. With my computer's performance in warframe being annoying lately as it sometimes paused for a couple seconds every few missions (ex. One frame of Excal rolling for about two seconds), I decided to see how much my computer could handle. I turned on motion blur (thats it) and I got this freeze problem occuring every minute or so.

Satisfied knowing something was up, I set out to fix my AMD driver issue. I have an AMD Radeon HD 7500G, and went to the AMD site and downloaded AMD Catalyst Control Center and had it install its host of drivers based on my machine. Cool. Except warframe then had some issues where the screen would be covered by black box(es) for a split second every couple seconds.

I didnt even play a mission before I went about uninstalling everything AMD, and then I reinstalled the Control Center and went through its process again.

Now, I still get the black boxes, but they occur significantly less often but still numerous times per mission, usually when I direct the camera to somewhere I hadn't looked before or when I spin it around quickly.

Curiously, however, the actual graphics ran NOTICEABLY better than before. To test this I raised settings to medium and high that I had left on low for months. No freeze issue, and my framerate was visually HIGHER than it was on the lower settings before all the AMD installation stuff.

So, the tradeoff was amazing graphics and framerate, along with black flashes, to replace my old, worse graphics and framerate and occassional freezeframe.

Anyone know whats going on? Can anybody explain the black flashes (only ever for part of my screen at once) and how to make them stop occuring so I can enjoy the drastic improvement of performance otherwise?

Im aware this might be more computer related in general than warframe but I would really appreciate some help here!

Thanks!

What Processor are you running and how much RAM do you have? (The CPU if too slow could bottleneck your GPU and if theres not enough Ram memory could also be an issue. ) Also check and see if your laptop is heating up ... too much heat can be a bad thing.

It does heat up while i play but i take breaks and make sure the fans get air and everyone.

As for the processor and CPU, I'll get those specs posted later. I have a few things to do before I get on my laptop. Stay tuned haha

So I played some missions just now, displaying my FPS. I think I know the cause of the black flashes. Every time my FPS moves past or below 30, I get a black flash. Is there a way to keep it from exceeding 30??

Thanks!

From what I gather, my Processor is an AMD A6-4455M APU "with Radeon(HD) graphics" 2.10 GHz, I have 3.47 GB usable RAM, and have Windows 7 64-bit.

Does that help identify the issue at all?

Well the CPU is not slow as I have a bud who plays on an older A6 (His is 1.7 GHz I think) and it's flawless. 3.4GB should be enough for Warframe. Though a laptop like this should have at least 6GB truthfully.

So I played some missions just now, displaying my FPS. I think I know the cause of the black flashes. Every time my FPS moves past or below 30, I get a black flash. Is there a way to keep it from exceeding 30??

Thanks!

Might be a Vsync related issue and what you are experienceing is either screen tearing or a borked display.

dose the ram really effect the game ?!

If there's not enough ram for the Game to use then yes it can effect the game.

Well the CPU is not slow as I have a bud who plays on an older A6 (His is 1.7 GHz I think) and it's flawless. 3.4GB should be enough for Warframe. Though a laptop like this should have at least 6GB truthfully.

Might be a Vsync related issue and what you are experienceing is either screen tearing or a borked display.

If there's not enough ram for the Game to use then yes it can effect the game.

i have 4GB of ram .. should i get more ? 

Tried it. Works perfectly, no issues. Everything runs great, issue resolved! Thanks everyone!!

So it was Vsync then. In case you don't know what that does it syncs the framerate to the Max refresh rate of your monitor to avoid tearing and black spots. In some cases having a higher framerate than what your moniter can handle will result in black spots or tearing (which can also have black spots) Seems your moniter is 30Hz so any higher of a framerate and you experience tearing. Keep Vsync enabled. Also enableing Vsync can help keep GPU temps down. (I've tested this on a system with an XFX AMD RADEON HD 7870 and proven it to be true. Vsync off temps on the card would shoot to 55C with it on 46C)

Edited by XxSeether1992xX