The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Removing Stat Helms Gives Older Players Yet Another Advantage

Everyone talking about unfairness... what about it being really stupid decision in the first place?

If you feel like something is unbalanced, or problematic in your game, than removing it for X while leaving it in for Y is the worst possible way to deal with it.

Rebalance it, separate the stats and the helmets, redisign the whole thing if you don't want to remove it entierly. Anything but this.

But instead a lot of work was done for nothing, as removing it for some people doesn't fix the issue DE wanted to fix. Unless, with the ability to trade them, DE wanted another cheap way to make money, in wich case, shame on them.

This isn't about unfairness, this is just another bad "balance" decision DE made.

Thats very bad for people that still dont have Vanguard (like me). If DE want to do good thing is to remove all stats (from old helmets and from new that are to be crafted). It would be good because its S#&$ that fat Rhino can be as fast as Loki, and Vauban players could equip best-looking helm in game (Gambit).

IMO they should just leave the stats on. Its a PVE game how does this give an unfair advantage to a game about working in a small team?

Also for conclave I would suggest they just cancel out the stats during pvp to keep the so called unfair advantage out.

Seriously though I don't get why people are saying this gives an advantage to older players. The only people it would affect would be the Grineer, Corpus and Infested. And the only actual players that would find this unfair would be those darn door campers on mobile defense missions. Even then it wouldn't matter you share XP so whatever.

Edited by alphex2357

How about just making EVERY helmet upgradable with stats? You know just like the Nigatana. That leaves the little stat additions in the game (and diversifies) AND enables you to look exactly as you want.

they made it so already made helms can be traded so whining is pointless. As for older players having advantage, seriously that is poor complaint. If you started playing before they added more mods does that give the a better chance to get rare mods from undiluted tables. How about when voids payed out  way more credits did that give older players advantage? Just because you start a MMO late does not give you any reason to say older players have some kind of advantage. We started sooner and that just means we got more time on anyone new. They didn't remove the ability to get them you just cant out right buy them from a market. 

they made it so already made helms can be traded so whining is pointless. As for older players having advantage, seriously that is poor complaint. If you started playing before they added more mods does that give the a better chance to get rare mods from undiluted tables. How about when voids payed out  way more credits did that give older players advantage? Just because you start a MMO late does not give you any reason to say older players have some kind of advantage. We started sooner and that just means we got more time on anyone new. They didn't remove the ability to get them you just cant out right buy them from a market. 

Er... that bolded bit = lolz.

Yeah it does. It totally does. If it's true. In WoW, for example, it is not meaningfully true. If you started in late 2004, like me, you might have some mounts, achievements or cosmetic gear that is fun, but you will not have any functionality that a new player does not. Similarly, due to the way the value of money has changed drastically over WoW's history, you likely have at best a small advantage there (esp. as money can't buy any of the best stuff in WoW).

In Warframe, on the other hand, it is meaningfully true, because so many things have been grandfathered in. Mods that were only released by accident, but people were allowed to keep. Weapons that were only available for a short period of time. Times when credits or rare materials were wildly more plentiful (most games move the opposite way - though credits have become plentiful again as of U13, rare resources seem to get harder to obtain pretty frequently - particularly Neurodes and OCs - I used to be able to farm these at a high rate, but those days are over). Arcane Helmets. I have Vespa, Vanguard, Aura, etc. - so I can do builds and play in ways that people who don't, cannot. That gives me a demonstrable, real advantage.

So it is fair for him to complain about it, and it's not fair for you, or me, to say "We have just got more time". That's an actual lie. We haven't "just got more time", we have also had lots of opportunities denied to more recent players, and Arcane Helmets are one of those. He can buy them, though, that's true, but it'll be interesting to see what prices they demand - I'm guessing that for the better ones, they will be fairly obscene, as people tended to ignore helmet alerts after they got their one, because the BPs were non-tradeable and served little purpose.

Now, I agree that whining is pointless, because this isn't likely to change, but just let's not say we don't have an advantage right now, because we do.

A year or two from now, though, that advantage may be pretty meaningless. DE is intending to introduce some kind of Warframe customization system, which may well make helmet modifiers seem like small peanuts, or may be only slightly bigger, but incompatible with them - for example, if they let you customize your Nyx to have a built-in 30% power efficiency, using that option may require that you not use an Arcane helmet - that'd be a good way to make the helmets obselete (or extreme corner-case) without actually taking away their powers, so it's what I expect to see.

The same is true with most "event" weapons. Whilst they are better than similar weapons, I can't think of any which are remotely comparable to stuff like the Soma, or Boltor Prime or the like, which are still obtainable, so the advantage they give is pretty small. It's not nothing, though.