Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help Me Pick A Blade Guis!

Triburos

Question

Sawp guis.

So I'm looking for a new blade since I'm quite liking melee with Ash right now, even though I still consider him just a weaker version of Loki. But that's just me and others might disagree- BUT, not point of this topic.

So right now, I've been trying out the dual skana, but they don't feel like what I was hoping for. Let me just give a quick list of ideal things I'd like my melee weapon to have

-I'm looking for a blade, first and foremost, that isn't a heavy weapon. So no axes, two-handers, staffs or hammers. I'll consider daggers.

-It needs to be something that's not charge-attack relient.

-I'm looking for it to be useful with just it's base damage with normal attacks. I plan on using mods like Fury, True Steel, Organ Shatter, Pressure Point, Sundering Strike, an elemental mod like Ice, so on and so forth to deal damage.

-It can either be dual or single wield, as long as it's useful with some of the stuff mentioned above.

As you can probably tell, I'm looking for a fast melee weapon that - rather than specializes in charged damage with Killing Blow and Reflex Coil - specializes in base attacks with high crit chance and damage along with mods that boost over-all damage.

I'm not even going to try denying that a charged based melee build with a dual build is probably best, but my playstyle would prefer a melee weapon that doesn't really focus on those kind of charged attacks. So far my only real contendar for this list is the Cronus. But, I'm looking for other opinions. Maybe some of you think I should stick with Dual Skana and give them another shot? Like I said- I have been using the Dual Skana with max or atleast near-maxed mods, but the base damage still seems rather lack luster, but to be fair I don't have ALL the damage mods up for it yet. My Ice mod isn't even leveled once yet, but Pressure Point and things like Organ Shatter and True Steel nearly are so... The Cronus looked like an ideal fit. But before I go and blow another Catalyst on it, I'd like opinions on what you think fits my standads.

Edited by Triburos

15 answers to this question

The Fang Daggers seems like what you want~

they are lovely speed slashing sons of bishes~

I personally love these daggers cause they actually fit~

the style of warframe ninjas style~

try it out and tell me if you like them~

but if you dont like them then I'm sorry lol~

I would recomend Dual heat swords. they have a great attack aimation and cut through infested like butter, ot to mention you ca jump attack to cause everyone aroud you to catch on fire without a fire damage mod. I only have mine at rank 12 without a catalyst and I can solo Proteus (infested defense)

up to wave 8 without firing a single bullet or charge shot (using pressure point and molten impact) if you want fast with a punch behind ti they should work well. in addition they have a wide area on there charge attack so if you ever have/want to use it there good at that too.

To the recent replies, OP doesn't want anything that is Charge-Attack reliant.

Personally I would suggest the Heat Sword.

-Yes, i know its a blueprint drop from alerts

-Why it is good: Slightly faster firing rate, Impressive melee attack value that is between Fragor and Cronus.

Basically its tailored towards normal melee attacks, which i am assuming is what you are aiming for.

Secondly, I would suggest the Amphis

-Sports a multi-hit box

-Not a heavy weapon but rather a staff, thus having decent firing rate

-jump attack deals an electric shockwave that is useful against Corpus

-Peope go flying +1

Tailored also to normal attacks, however it has the extra utility of its shockwave jump attack along with rewarding sound effects and knockback.

I'll look into the Fangs. My biggest worry about them though are Infested. Some might find this odd but my weapon loadout consists of the Paris Bow and the Lex; none of which are very ordeal for Infested, and it's a pretty silly loadout over all wouldn't you agree? But, it' a fun one. Lex provides great range for killing, and the Paris bow is just plain fun. Things like the Bronco I feel take away from Melee oriented builds, which is why I don't use it.

98% of my Infested kills, not counting those Toxic buggers, come from melee. Losing that ability would be devastating to me. Other than that though, Fangs seem rather nice.

As for the Heat Sword; any reason to not use the Dual versions? I heard they're quite slow, but it might just be it's charge attack.

A single Heat Sword does sound nice, but if I can't aquire one, what's your thoughts on a Cronus placeholder?

I'll look into the Fangs. My biggest worry about them though are Infested. Some might find this odd but my weapon loadout consists of the Paris Bow and the Lex; none of which are very ordeal for Infested, and it's a pretty silly loadout over all wouldn't you agree? But, it' a fun one. Lex provides great range for killing, and the Paris bow is just plain fun. Things like the Bronco I feel take away from Melee oriented builds, which is why I don't use it.

98% of my Infested kills, not counting those Toxic buggers, come from melee. Losing that ability would be devastating to me. Other than that though, Fangs seem rather nice.

As for the Heat Sword; any reason to not use the Dual versions? I heard they're quite slow, but it might just be it's charge attack.

A single Heat Sword does sound nice, but if I can't aquire one, what's your thoughts on a Cronus placeholder?

The reason why I do not suggest the Dual Heat Swords is because it specializes in Charge Attacks due to its very high Charge Dmg Base.

Their single melee attack is slow, slower than the Dual Skanas. So in terms of normal melee attacks, Dual Heat Swords is somewhat near the bottom in comparison to other Dual weapons.

On the other hand, the single Heat Sword's stats are all aimed towards normal melee attacks due to its "better than average" attack speed and the interesting amount of damage per slice.

For a place-holder, the Cronus is a viable substitute, if anything, you can view the Heat Sword as a straight up upgrade that leans towards normal attacks.

When you say "better than average" attack speed, could you point to something with just 'average' attack speed?

Or a better way of asking would be: What would you consider Dual Skana attack speed - with no mods - to be? Would the Heat Sword be any faster? Any slower? I don't quite understand the Wiki's meaning of 'firerate'. Does a higher number mean faster firing rate? Or is the number telling you the delay between attacks? So I can't rely on the wiki too much.

I hear the Cronus is quite fast; faster than a Skana even. Which for a single handed sword sounds pretty nice.

Edited by Triburos

I wholeheartedly agree with Garuda. I was going to suggest the Heat Sword and do my usual length-ish post but then.. he covered it and more.

Something to keep in mind when dealing with crits: right now they're multiplicative based off the base rate of the weapon. Meaning (Base Weapon Crit Rate: 5%) x (Mod Crit Rate 30% maxed). That amounts to a grand total of 6.5% Crit rate. Suuuper worth the energy cost/slot. I suggest you hang onto that notion for crit until this is fixed (It's supposed to be additive from the base). Unless you're a Loki and to a much much much lesser degree Ash to get those 100% Melee crits while Invisible. As a result of this, Crit damage really only benefits Loki's or Ash's.

Edit to include new reply by OP:

Dual Skana is also a charge damage based weapon; the dual swords (DHS and DSkana) are both similar but the DHS are a direct upgrade from the Dual Skana. Slow attack speed, decent charge damage, etc. The Heat Sword by itself is the fastest attacking sword to date also with a longer reach. When it comes to Melee weapons, Fire Rate can be accurate translated to Swing Speed.

For what you want, I think this would be the order of desirability: Heat Sword>Cronus>Skana.

Edited by WupwupTCR

Ouch, I did not know that, lmao.

And yeah- my Ash basically boils down to 'Smoke Bomb the Everything' with a Continuity mod. Still shorter than Loki's, but it still lasts a pretty damn long time. And my Continuity mod still has an extra level to go.

Why I don't just use Loki since he also has access to Decoy is beyond me. I even think he moves faster. I dunno- I just wanna stick with Ash despite knowing he's out classed.

And I was wondering why crit chance was so low despite the crit chance boost. That DOES save me alot of mod energy, wow. I think I'll take that advice. Might not even need an Orokin Catalyst in that case.

I think I'll try the Cronus as a placeholder for now, then swap to Heat Sword once I find it's blueprint. One last question:

You mentioned that Heat Sword is the fastest single handed sword. But the wiki says Heat Sword and Cronus firerates are identical. I heard that the in-game stats can't be completely trusted. Are the Cronus and Heat Sword firerates the same or no?

Edited by Triburos

Dual Zorens.

With the Fury mod, they're ridiculously fast. Use enough Pressure Points / Elemental mods and stuff dies pretty quickly.

Better than the Dual Heat Swords I had earlier. I never charge my melees either.

I suggest you hang onto that notion for crit until this is fixed (It's supposed to be additive from the base).

Really ?

Damn it, I sold all my crit chance mods ...

I think a Jaw Sword or Dual Zorens would suit you best. Fang isn't a bad suggestion either.

Don't stick with the Cronus. Statwise it's surprisingly decent, but while it's a fair all rounder there are blades that do better in specialized areas. And face it, you can't build an all rounder that's effective at later levels. If you specialize in let's say, charged attacks, and proceed to mod a Plasma Sword with Reflex Coil and Killing Blow, it would blow away a Cronus.

I think a Jaw Sword or Dual Zorens would suit you best. Fang isn't a bad suggestion either.

Don't stick with the Cronus. Statwise it's surprisingly decent, but while it's a fair all rounder there are blades that do better in specialized areas. And face it, you can't build an all rounder that's effective at later levels. If you specialize in let's say, charged attacks, and proceed to mod a Plasma Sword with Reflex Coil and Killing Blow, it would blow away a Cronus.

I heard that the Cronus is over-all better in terms of stats than the Jaw Sword. It's faster and deals more, if not the same damage if wiki comments are to be believed. Only real bonuses I saw to it were it's quake attack and polarity slots.

It's major saving grace seems to be that AoE quake, though.

As for the Charged-base mod build; I think that can apply to most melee weapons. As I said; I'm not going to deny that charged attack builds are most likely superior than normal attack builds due to mods like RC and KB. But I'm fully aware of this.

As for Zorens, not a fan of axes from a cosmetic standpoint. Yeah- I just can't be satisfied can I? :P

Edited by Triburos

I heard that the Cronus is over-all better in terms of stats than the Jaw Sword. It's faster and deals more, if not the same damage if wiki comments are to be believed. Only real bonuses I saw to it were it's quake attack and polarity slots.

It's major saving grace seems to be that AoE quake, though.

As for the Charged-base mod build; I think that can apply to most melee weapons. As I said; I'm not going to deny that charged attack builds are most likely superior than normal attack builds due to mods like RC and KB. But I'm fully aware of this.

Heard somewhere that the Jaw Sword has an above decent crit rate. So do Dual Zorens, that's why I suggested them.

And I guess the charged base mod build would apply to most, but it's definitely going to be better on something that emphasizes charge. Dual Heat Swords built on charge would kill a Heat Sword built on charge.

And the cosmetic aspect of the Zorens, well it's never bothered me. But I will admit it can look unappealing at times. Especially with a broad frame like Frost or Rhino, where they look absolutely puny :P