The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is Your Opinion On This?

Renathy

Most free-to-play Developers and Publishers alike grant users earlier access to an unfinished version of their titles by allowing them to pay for various packages with a diversity of exclusive bonuses. These donations go all in favor for the developer to help them progress faster (Unless the game's published by a terrible company.). - The Digital Extremes team did it, they released a few Founders Packs that included one of the most infamous Prime Warframe to date.

One of the main issues these packages have across most games is that they're overpriced, and it's obvious that not every user can have access to these exclusives bonuses due to financial issues or restrictions. These packages tend to create controversy within the community thanks to that specific problem.

But I have noticed that a few titles are stepping over the line. While most games have packages that can go up to less than 300$, there are other games who push it past 1,000$. It's not acceptable, even with the bonuses they most include.

It all started when Natural Selection 2 finally received an update. The developers moved on to another title, and the game was left to rot. - I never really followed up on Natural Selection 2 as I do with Warframe, because the game's optimization is, or was, terrible, and the game seemed like it was dying (Although the developers left it to die, they've put some community members in charge of developing it. I don't know how that worked out, but we got one community update, if not more, and there seems to be no problems.). Either way, before the community update, the last actual official update included these new packages to help the developers with their newest title: It's called the Reinforcement Program.

As you can clearly see they have various packages that go up to 333$. That's fine, I guess. It includes a lot of great goodies, if you're a real dye-hard fan. But then, scroll down just a little bit more, and it jumps up to 8,000$, and lastly, 75,000 freaking $. The 8k$ pack is for the game's screechy fan-girls, but why pay for it? Couldn't they just host an event instead? Paying 8k$ for that is just ridiculous in so many ways, in my opinion. Then you have the 75k$ which simply allows you to command a team to develop a 5-day game for you. - That's obvious enough on how idiotic it is.

But it just doesn't stop there. Oh, no. Take Trove, for example. It looks quite a lot like Cube World, but I cannot tell which one is a rip-off of which, but all I can is that they're a mix of the infamous Minecraft, with some RPG elements, and whatnot. - I believe Cube World was out for longer. - But you can see that you have a 900$ pack, and a 2,000$ pack, giving you absolutely nothing interesting for an unfinished product. - And I'm pretty sure there was another title with a stupid Founders Packs pricing, but I cannot remember which at the moment.

I'm not paying for it so I don't care. That being said, I think it is rather... to put it bluntly.. idiotic for a person to spend that much on a game. For me, I'm already pushing my limit, but I can't even imagine going anywhere about $1000. I mean, holy hek. I know it's not my money so I shouldn't judge, but there are much better things to spend thousands of dollars on.

Anyway, I'm happy that DE and Warframe kept the prices relatively low, at least compared to the examples you've provided.

I think that the "Free-to-Play" model is an incredibly slippery slope, for both developers and consumers. Developers need to find a way to earn enough income to sustain both the game and the team that makes it which means they often need to sell premium or exclusive content at a high price point. This system ironically enough encourages the consumer to feel more attached and proud of the game because they feel that they know have some small part in it by spending their money to support the team. There is a point though, in my own opinion, in which they cross the line between earning a living and making a profit. When that profit is made at the expense of the consumer's experience in the game then it breaks the trust of the consumer and questions the value of having a "Free-to-Play" label on what is ultimately an overpriced game.

DE does a great job with this system. They offer enough incentive to make players want to buy content and to support the team without making it an actual "need" based system. In other words, you can earn almost everything in the game without the need to spend a dime. (there are a couple exclusives that are exceptions but almost all are cosmetics) They also take the time to do mass community involvement such as PrimeTime and the Dev blogs.

In the end, I think it all depends on circumstance. Some teams do it really well and create a better, stronger community around their game by being "Free-to-Play." Other teams, use it as a point for profit. I'm just glad Warframe is one of the good ones. :)

Those are a lot of words.

The game is free, all other stuff is optional. pay for them if you want them or leave them at that.

Case Dismissed.

Exactly. A lot of words you did not read. It's not about Warframe.