The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

120Hz/144Hz Issues.

Pando666

So I am having an issues with Warframe and I will start of by saying that this start happening around the time the latest event was implemented, no issues before.

Ok, so I am running an asus 144hz monitor and two 7970's crossfire. First of all 144hz and crossfire don't really get along, it causes occasional issues, requires a second bridge etc... So setting the monitor @120hz solves this issue.

Now as of recently warframe is ignoring my refresh rate and is overriding my desktop settings and running at 144hz which is causing problems. After many hours of trying to figure out the issue I determined that it only happens in dx9, if I change the launcher to dx11 it doesn't do that it respects my refresh rate settings. However my performance is less than desired in dx11.

Another work around is for me to simply disable crossfire, but then again a loss in performance, or to run in windowed mode (which is basically disabling crossfire)

I have tested other games at144hz/120hz  and this is very clearly a warframe issues as other games do not override my refresh rate in fullscreen, only warframe.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know of a solution?

Also yes I updated drivers to both the current and the beta and the issues still persists, I want to reiterate that this is a recent issue as my experience before has been nothing but perfect (over 100 frames anywhere and everywhere with no crashes or stuttering or anything at all!)

Edited by Pando666

So I am having an issues with Warframe and I will start of by saying that this start happening around the time the latest event was implemented, no issues before.

Ok, so I am running an asus 144hz monitor and two 7970's crossfire. First of all 144hz and crossfire don't really get along, it causes occasional issues, requires a second bridge etc... So most crossfire 144hz users just set their monitor @120hz and then no issues. 

Now as of recently warframe is ignoring my refresh rate and is overriding my desktop settings and running at 144hz which is causing problems. After many hours of trying to figure out the issue I determined that it only happens in dx9, if I change the launcher to dx11 it doesn't do that it respects my refresh rate settings. However my performance is less than desired in dx11.

Another work around is for me to simply disable crossfire, but then again a loss in performance, or to run in windowed mode (which is basically disabling crossfire)

I have tested other 144hz/120hz games and this is very clearly a warframe issues as other games do not override my refresh rate in fullscreen, only warframe. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know of a solution?

Also yes I updated drivers to both the current and the beta and the issues still persists, I want to reiterate that this is a recent issue as my experience before has been nothing but perfect (over 100 frames anywhere and everywhere with no crashes or stuttering or anything at all!)

You are using 7970 that is a DX 11 cards and you do not want to run in DX 11?

Crossfire and SLI have issues with Warframe.

My suggestion is to contact AMD support. Other than that, I suggest running one card and if you are using an overclock; reset to factory set clock speed.

You are using 7970 that is a DX 11 cards and you do not want to run in DX 11?

Crossfire and SLI have issues with Warframe.

My suggestion is to contact AMD support. Other than that, I suggest running one card and if you are using an overclock; reset to factory set clock speed.

No, I WANT to run in dx11, but I also want to have a constant 120 fps which seems to not happen in this game in dx11, it does however stay consistantly high in dx9 and the visual difference between the two is barely noticeable. The screen tearing and blurring of running less than 120 however is not barely noticeable.

Disabling one of the cards performance wise is the equivalent to running dx11 crossfire.

You say that crossfire and sli have issues in warframe and up until recently that has not been the case. Before I ran the game no issues in dx9 with fps staying at a smooth 120 regardless of what map or mission I was doing. But now I am forced with the above mentioned dilema. The 144hz crossfire issue is not a warframe specific one, it is a hardware issue, which is why I said I run the monitor at 120, which is fine unless the game defualts to max refresh rate, which this one is doing as of now. 

Edited by Pando666

How did you connect it together by hdmi cables?

I have CF Asus 7970 DirectCU II connected to 2dvi-d Asus 27" 144Hz monitors and i'm able to get full 144 on both of them (a lot of mess 4 setup) only con i've noticed with warframe is that sometimes my 2nd screen !sometimes! goes black when wf is on. I'm running game at 1080p 144Hz - the resolution stays intact. (dx11)

be sure to have enabled under wf luncher =

Full Screen (must be on if you want cf to work)

DX11

64bit mode

Mulch-Threaded Rendering

in wf -ingame you might want to disable vertical sync and use external frame pace limiter like one from msi.

Edited by CyklonDX

How did you connect it together by hdmi cables?

I have CF Asus 7970 DirectCU II connected to 2dvi-d Asus 27" 144Hz monitors and i'm able to get full 144 on both of them (a lot of mess 4 setup) only con i've noticed with warframe is that sometimes my 2nd screen !sometimes! goes black when wf is on. I'm running game at 1080p 144Hz - the resolution stays intact. (dx11)

be sure to have enabled under wf luncher =

Full Screen (must be on if you want cf to work)

DX11

64bit mode

Mulch-Threaded Rendering

in wf -ingame you might want to disable vertical sync and use external frame pace limiter like one from msi.

Connection is dual link DVI and yes to all the other settings.

I don't know about two monitors, but for me 144hz crossfire on one monitor causes some intermittent issues (from what I have read this is common for 144hz cf) which is why I just run on 120. When wf is launched in dx11 there is no issue, but when launched in dx9 it defaults to max refresh, so no matter what I set my monitor to be it 60, 120 or 144 it will always run at 144 in the dx9 client, that is the issue I am trying to report.

I have a question for you. Since you have the same cards in cf. Do you have two bridge connectors installed or is that not needed since you have two monitors? Also in your CCC does the gpu clock idle around 500 and the mem clock stay maxed out even when the card is idle at desktop?

No you only need 1 bridge between them. I do not use ccc clock; 0 is the master and 1 is slave.

i use msi afterburner -

~ using it to sync all clocks

clocks are following:

GPU 1100MHz Memory 1650MHz (i don't use power conserving tech)

In afterburner settings i also have "Master graphics processor" selection set to GPU1 (which is master bridge entry 0) and sync all similar gpu's.

It is also managing my refresh rate - set to 144Hz.

@if you wonder why my clocks are so high up

Those are 2 Asus MAtrix DirectCU II cards.

@1 card usually does not support 2x dvi-d from 1 card. You need to have both enabled dvi-d

Edited by CyklonDX

No you only need 1 bridge between them. I do not use ccc clock; 0 is the master and 1 is slave.

i use msi afterburner -

~ using it to sync all clocks

clocks are following:

GPU 1100MHz Memory 1650MHz (i don't use power conserving tech)

In afterburner settings i also have "Master graphics processor" selection set to GPU1 (which is master bridge entry 0) and sync all similar gpu's.

It is also managing my refresh rate - set to 144Hz.

@if you wonder why my clocks are so high up

Those are 2 Asus MAtrix DirectCU II cards.

@1 card usually does not support 2x dvi-d from 1 card. You need to have both enabled dvi-d

One bridge will not work @144 crossfire single monitor for 7 series cards.

I was asking your idle clocks, surely while idle at desktop your clocks are not maxed out...

Again you only need 1 bridge - whomever says different is wrong - unless you have 3 or more gpu's. There is no idle clocks with my settings. (if it had normal bios it would be GPU:300MHz@Memory:150MHz)

(Some people state its required and help improve stability -> blatant lie, it only creates issue with master/slave pickup for gpu i/o connector hardware and later driver - proper setup of master and slave solves issues.)

As for current new gpu's from amd (290) doesn't require any. Weaker gpu's won't have 2 dvi-d ports - you'll need to use display port for 2nd 144Hz monitor.

Edited by CyklonDX

Again you only need 1 bridge - whomever says different is wrong

That is clearly not the case, a simple google search and you'll see countless posts.

Launching any fullscreen application at 144hz with crossfire enabled and only one bridge = instant bsod. Adding a second bridge solves bsod. Each card ran independantly and in either pci slot also no bsod.

Well then countless of people are basically newbs in CF systems.

a picture of correct setup (not mine though)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8409/99714990.jpg

But that's exactly how it looks.

If something doesn't work like this in your setup there could be something going on in your bios or windows drivers.

Just to let you know this isn't first time i'm running CF systems I did even PentaFire before with HD6000 series and QuadFire HD5800 series. A lot of work but only 1 per gpu, unless you have 3 gpu's or more then you will use more connectors. (even then they do not need to be all connected to each other just 1 per gpu.)

(if you want to run it in eyefinity you will need to have them both on dp not dvi-d)

Edited by CyklonDX