Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Netiquette Old Vs New (The Role Of The Links At Good-Old-Days And Now)

emaralez87

You know, when The Web was young… no… You know, the main idea of hypertext is… no… You know, When TCP/IP protocol was invented Stollman created GNU license for a reason what… dammit, in such moments I feel myself as an oldfart.

Links, are they OK?

Did you noticed, what mostly every web page was a little portal in 90’s? But now mostly every page in da net is “exclusive content”. Why it happened? Why only wiki pages are old style now? Is it right? 

Lets take a look to the Old style vs New style.

Old style:

+ internet surfing! this is fun! if you are new%&^ just imagine - all the web as one big wiki! all information in the world are connected in WEB by HYPERTEXT. It was really ceeeeeewl (for us)!

+ proof links. every word was supported by prooflink. this is good old scientific tradition.

+ no rewriting, only originals.

- *clic-clic*

- oh, another site with vaginas…

- oh, another selling-stuff site. wait!

+ I need this stuff!

New style:

+ no *clic-clic*, you can see report about several stuff on one page.

+ “exclusive content” is good for  searching machines. but

- “exclusive content” not good for people, cause

- no proof links

- lot of lies and just bullS#&$ 

- hard to separate wrong information

- it’s very hard to find more interesting stuff while using search machines when you try to use “exclusive content” wording for searching

- essence of WEB is lost

- it’s not fun

My oldfart Compromise:

rewritten “exclusive content” report plus links. you know, nobody forces you (new%&^s) to *clic-clic*, but please do not force me (oldfart) to read S#&$ty “exclusive content” and tear apart my &#! to find original content and content from the field.

What do you think about this? What is your point of view and experience? 

why I use links in posts?

1. copypaste is plagiat. I don’t want to be a thief. oh! of course! I can place link to original post to not be a plagiator! :D

2. quotes… yeah, I think using quotes is right, but

2.1. - quoting limitations

2.2. - 97,5% of my posts (eg. - this one) I’m make in text editor first. why? ‘cause it would be stupid to lose big half baked post ‘cause internet lag, energy gap etc. + some big posts take few days to create.

IMHO:

and again and again - nobody forces you to click on links… but if smone just couldn’t to doesn’t click every link he/she sees for some reason this person always can click link “report” and make a shrift to moderator

Edited by emaralez87

Old style:
+ internet surfing! this is fun! if you are new%&^ just imagine - all the web as one big wiki! all information in the world are connected in WEB by HYPERTEXT. It was really ceeeeeewl (for us)!
+ proof links. every word was supported by prooflink. this is good old scientific tradition.
+ no rewriting, only originals.
- *clic-clic*
- oh, another site with vaginas…
- oh, another selling-stuff site. wait!
+ I need this stuff!

New style:
+ no *clic-clic*, you can see report about several stuff on one page.
+ “exclusive content” is good for  searching machines. but
- “exclusive content” not good for people, cause
- no proof links
- lot of lies and just bullS#&$ 
- hard to separate wrong information
- it’s very hard to find more interesting stuff while using search machines when you try to use “exclusive content” wording for searching
- essence of WEB is lost
- it’s not fun

I feel this Netiqutte is for those advertising fanlords who post "new" gadgets and software which are indeed mostly lies, viruses and a whole lot of hate and spam mail.

I feel this Netiqutte is for those advertising fanlords who post "new" gadgets and software which are indeed mostly lies, viruses and a whole lot of hate and spam mail.

are you talking about old or new?

'cause spam and viruses are casual for both - you can get undesirable content from link on the site (old style) or from link in the search machine (new style), but the chance to get it from "exclusive content" from link from search machine is higher.

and this is one more thing why I don't like new stylish "exclusive content" tendencies. links are more fair. if you see site with vaginas - you close it, if you don't want click the link - you don't have to, but "exclusive content" fishes you.

• 2 weeks later...

from my personal experience here - I totally can't understand why some players shy to post next types of links, 'cause it may be counted as spam and advertisement:

- link to wikipedia page with information about classical book in case of making analogy with fanlore (srsly? if someone will post... post with like "this lore reminds me Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms [link]" it would be counted as advertisement of... wiki? or Hemingway?)

- lot of cases when members do not post links to another similar threads where are answers to questions in newborn topic, they just give word description of this threads (first time at the forum I thought what people who post this kind of posts are rude and lazy as they don't want to give someone a direct link to topic with answer, but now I understand what  this people just don't want to make an advertisement of someone's topic. srsly?! topic advertisement!?)

- link to WF gameplay video (meant to be in profile inf., but member used lot of words to describe this video)

- links in profile information to Deviant Art profile, list of artworks (famfictions, fanconcepts etc) at the forums etc. OK there still are such people at the forum, who don't shy to make selfadvertisement in their profile information (selfadvertisement in your profile information? srsly?!) and this is good. you know, I see good artwork on the forum, I view profile of artist, I go to DA profile, I see more good artworks, I'm happy - see, this is how it works!

can somebody explain me why such kind of links counts as spam and advertisement?

Thats a good idea! It's hard to get people involved in projects on this scale, especially the really talented artists in Fanart.

Maby when you are that good, it takes alot of time and become a chore instead of fun. Im still speeding it, not trying to put masterpieces out there :p

Ghosts are tricky. I say skip the too bulky parts that probably require a cyborg to run anyway.

Maby a powerarmor that is a reinvented Grineer armor?

Hmmm...

"do what your wilt shall do" >:D

I saw your 3D works and they are good. I think we don't need masterpiece oeuvre here, we need conceptions - fast, understandable and reworkable,- and you are good in this!

huehuehue. young artists are full of their own ideas and they hate when someone tells them what to do, or just to do something what wasn't born in their had. this is commonness. more adult artists would draw other pip's ideas for training and fun. and none-artists like me would - just for fun :D

at least this is OK to do requests (1 req for 1 unit) for arts in FanArt forum, just clear specification needed.

True true.

I have lost count on the number of ideas just dying because of no response.

that is why I try to support as many ideas as I can.

this why I think we need more thematical threads like this and like "corpus shall rise" - to provide not only topic-starter's idea but other pip's ideas in same field too. (pinned fanconcept index is not very friendly for direct searching of something interesting) 

'cause, as I sad before - this is true spirit of community, not "get out of here and don't post links of your or someone else's crap in the topic you shameless promoter"