Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sun Mission...

InsaneAction

There should totally be a mission or 2 on the Sun...

You slowly lose your shields then your health... Factors like, Frost will lose his health at a faster rate, and Ember loses health at a slower rate than others... There could be special spots that would allow your shields regen but they would be a good distance apart... I mean I could go on but I'm sure some of you can in-vision the epicness of this... That's my late night thought...

Well, the Eclipse Phase tabletop RPG includes some stations that sit in synchronous orbit in the solar corona. Given the tech levels shown so far (starships with artificial gravity, for instance), it shouldn't be too far outside the realm of possibility.

Or, perhaps even in another solar system - Alpha Centauri, for instance?

Well, the Eclipse Phase tabletop RPG includes some stations that sit in synchronous orbit in the solar corona. Given the tech levels shown so far (starships with artificial gravity, for instance), it shouldn't be too far outside the realm of possibility.Or, perhaps even in another solar system - Alpha Centauri, for instance?

One of the livestreams, they talked about how it was going to be a galaxy-spanning game but internal feedback reminded them that most games that do that start to lose the scope of just how vast even a single star system is. So the ruins of the Orokin Empire almost certainly lay strewn across the stars, but we're probably going to see the Sol System polished to a mirror finish before we ride the stellar rails to another.

There should totally be a mission or 2 on the Sun...

You slowly lose your shields then your health... Factors like, Frost will lose his health at a faster rate, and Ember loses health at a slower rate than others... There could be special spots that would allow your shields regen but they would be a good distance apart... I mean I could go on but I'm sure some of you can in-vision the epicness of this... That's my late night thought...

Oh, and no. This is a terrible idea. Stars are balls of matter so dense that no chemical more complicated than hydrogen can exist without immediately exploding under its own weight, and even that hydrogen is compressed so much it spontaneously starts fusion reactions powerful enough to sustain life 90 million miles away. The thermal and magnetic forces created by our sun are so intense that they essentially flensed Mercury of its atmosphere - and Mercury is 35 million miles from the sun. Speaking of Mercury: you couldn't even have missions on Mercury's surface, because during the sun-lit portion of the day - which, because the sun's gravitational forces keep Mercury's rotation almost locked, lasts something like 88 Earth-days - the temperature of the surface can exceed 800F, which is about 150 degrees hotter than it takes to most modern gunpowder ignite (so bye-bye firearms) and hot enough to make some metals melt.Missions on the sun is just ... laughable.

Oh, and no. This is a terrible idea. Stars are balls of matter so dense that no chemical more complicated than hydrogen can exist without immediately exploding under its own weight, and even that hydrogen is compressed so much it spontaneously starts fusion reactions powerful enough to sustain life 90 million miles away. The thermal and magnetic forces created by our sun are so intense that they essentially flensed Mercury of its atmosphere - and Mercury is 35 million miles from the sun. Speaking of Mercury: you couldn't even have missions on Mercury's surface, because during the sun-lit portion of the day - which, because the sun's gravitational forces keep Mercury's rotation almost locked, lasts something like 88 Earth-days - the temperature of the surface can exceed 800F, which is about 150 degrees hotter than it takes to most modern gunpowder ignite (so bye-bye firearms) and hot enough to make some metals melt. Missions on the sun is just ... laughable.

dear god your explanation of a star is bad, also it is possible to get very close to incredibly hot things, using magnetic fields to reflect the radiation and heat.

Edited by Toddwjp