Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unique Mods That Change The Way Weapons Work

Playford

Like the title suggests, it would be nice to see mods that change the mechanics of a weapon rather than just make the numbers slightly bigger.

Each mod would be weapon specific, so a mod for the Braton can't be used on a Gorgon.

Because these mods don't really make the weapon more powerful, they should get their own special slot that can't have other mods installed in it, they also cost no energy, and can't be upgraded.

Examples follow, fell free to add you own.

Weapon: Paris

Name: Explosive Tip

Description: Replaces standard arrows with explosive variants, these have lower damage on hit, but detonate after a 0.5s delay dealing damage and knockdown in a small AOE. Hitting the enviroment makes them act like proximity mines, self-destruct after 60s to prevent abuse.

Weapon: Boltor (maybe rest of the bolt family?)

Name: Homing bolt

Effects: Bolts have a slight homing effect, making the weapon more effective at longer range, but bolts move slightly (5-10% maybe?) slower, and aim for center mass, so unless you fire at targets below you, headshots are unlikley.

Weapon: Hek

Name: Wall of pain

Effects: Fires all shells at once. As you can imagine, this means massive damage per trigger pull but it also means lower ammo efficency with constant reloading.

Weapon: Strun

Name: Segmented barrel

Effect: Single shells are fired in a burst. Basically, pull trigger once, weapon fires several times but ammo counter goes down by 1. The damage is spread out over a number of shots so it doesn't deal more damage. Benefits are lower recoil and better accuracy.

Let me repeat that these are merely examples on how to change the mechanics of weapons, without making them better.

How you aquire these mods is a different matter, should they drop like regular mods? Maybe they can be bought as blueprints? Or as rewards for special alerts?

Discuss

Omg i agree with this.

I know for certain in the live stream they talked about this, as you can find extra abilitys for your warframes which would be legendary rarity, or something like that.

There were also other weapon mods that were above rare, that were currently locked, but already in the game.  you just cant get them.

I think i would like to come up with a few random mods for myself, i dont really like the weapon specific part though, you could not have too many of those.

Here are some ideas.

[ Bounce ]

- Bullets have the ability to bounce to additional enemies once making contact.

( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ) based on mod level.

[ Shatter ]

- A bullet has a small chance to explode in the barrel, creating a cluster of shrapnel.

( 3% , 7%, 12%, 15%, 20% ) per mod level.

- Basically gives any weapon a chance to turn into a shotgun.

- Turns shotguns into flak cannons.

I havent had a chance to watch the streams yet, and I havent seen these types of mods discussed before. It is nice thatsomething like this will be implemented regardless.

Omg i agree with this.

I know for certain in the live stream they talked about this, as you can find extra abilitys for your warframes which would be legendary rarity, or something like that.

There were also other weapon mods that were above rare, that were currently locked, but already in the game.  you just cant get them.

I think i would like to come up with a few random mods for myself, i dont really like the weapon specific part though, you could not have too many of those.

Here are some ideas.

[ Bounce ]

- Bullets have the ability to bounce to additional enemies once making contact.

( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ) based on mod level.

[ Shatter ]

- A bullet has a small chance to explode in the barrel, creating a cluster of shrapnel.

( 3% , 7%, 12%, 15%, 20% ) per mod level.

- Basically gives any weapon a chance to turn into a shotgun.

- Turns shotguns into flak cannons.

The idea here isnt to have the weapon do more damage, but to change the way a weapon acts. Basically Mods give advantages and disadvantages. what you listed are straight damage increases.

They are coming. There was a topic on design council about this subject and the ideas for mod in that topic were extremely outlandish. DE already stated that they are looking into coding for these ideas.

They are probably rare to ultrarare tier mod. Some could be common/uncommon.

Current mod system can not support mods like these.

Oh yeah, it can have them, but they will always lose out with mods that flat out increase an attribute, or otherwise provide more/better stats.

Unless a rework to the system that drains all the excess 'power' from it is applied, I cannot see this made to work, short of making those mods cost 0 mod power points.

Oh yeah, it can have them, but they will always lose out with mods that flat out increase an attribute, or otherwise provide more/better stats.Consider it a trade-off.

Either you want pure power, or versatility.

Kill one enemy really fast, OR deal AOE to a group with exploding arrows?

Kill enemies faster in your line of sight, OR have the ability to get safe cover and kill enemies around corners with bouncing bullets.

I think that should be the nature of those mods, they don't make an uber weapon even more uber, they make it... different.

Also the devs stated you will be able to master a weapon (at level 30, reset to Unranked and gain a Polarity Slot of your choice), so that will allow you to carry any mods you'd want ANYWAY :)

Edited by Sherbniz