Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Week 3] Great Philosophical Questions

slykidd

im pretty sure everyone knows the deal by now so lets just get into this weeks question!

last weeks:https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/275473-week-2-great-philosophical-questions/#entry3174556

this weeks question:

Do we have free will?

Ps: oh yeah nearly forgot make sure you upvote a person comment if you agree with it!

results: it seems everyone agrees that we do have free will.

Edited by slykidd

I swear I almost read that as 'Do we have free wifi?'

Free will, eh? Considering that free will isn't completely 'free' as we think it is... Well, since a lot of variables that could affect our judgement and decision were actually defined and stated by other people/things/situation/other beings (whether they deliberately did it or not), no. What we have is maybe a pseudo-free will.

IDK, I'm bad at this kind of topic, so just let my answer slide if it's not up to par, okay?

Free will.

We will never ever know if it truly exists, because we cannot observe it.

Of course I can say we have true free will, but how do I know if these are my thoughts or another's?

We cannot truly know.

In the most basic sense yes, but in reality not quite. We can do what we want but we are still restricted by the consequences, from the most basic of survival needs to the social norms.  

Just because I am restricted by consequences does not mean I can't do it.

I could commit a horrible crime that may land me on death row, but I still committed said crime.

But what I can't know is if I was destined to commit this crime or not.

If I were, I would have no free will, if I weren't I would have free will.

Free will.

We will never ever know if it truly exists, because we cannot observe it.

Of course I can say we have true free will, but how do I know if these are my thoughts or another's?

We cannot truly know.

Just because I am restricted by consequences does not mean I can't do it.

I could commit a horrible crime that may land me on death row, but I still committed said crime.

But what I can't know is if I was destined to commit this crime or not.

If I were, I would have no free will, if I weren't I would have free will.

5106770389_6524767a4f_z.jpg

I think that pure freedom hasn't been experienced yet...Even if we had no law, we'd try to make ours. Even without trying to make ours, we'd still have primary needs.Even without having basic needs, we'd still hve desires....

Unless you're Buddha or Jesus,I don't think free will is in your range...

I think that pure freedom hasn't been experienced yet...Even if we had no law, we'd try to make ours. Even without trying to make ours, we'd still have primary needs.Even without having basic needs, we'd still hve desires....

But, can you act upon these desires on your own?

And if you can, how do you know if this is really you thinking, and not something else?

You can't know, and that is why this question cannot be answered.

But I've said this like three times now so imma take a break.

Sorry for the logic spam OP.

Like Ortega y Gasset said ''I am me and my circumstances'' but I have to say that there is allways room to change, improve or even decay, that´s where will comes to play. Being human it´s a matter of making  decissions but ''will'' is not something you have at all. You have to earn it from reflexion, acknowledgment, making mistakes, taking risks and being able to watch and learn from every single thing that floats around us.

The answer for me it´s yes we have some will, a little of a will and we have to earn more from it because great pieces of are will can be in the hands of a company selling us bad hamburgers, social pressure or anything like that

Pretty much.  Except here, we cannot use mathematical formula to solve this issue. 

I didn't mean to suggest we could. ^^

Was merely placing it as a stepping stone for others in determining the existence, or rather non-existence of destiny.

But, can you act upon these desires on your own?

And if you can, how do you know if this is really you thinking, and not something else?

You can't know, and that is why this question cannot be answered.

But I've said this like three times now so imma take a break.

Sorry for the logic spam OP.

1B05UTL.gif?1