Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ordering Ai Allies

Gildemesh

I've read a few posts on topics about AI and such, and how we need improvements on how enemies function. People mostly ignored them because your enemies die very fast in most cases.

But what about our allies? I'm talking about Invasion allies, Kubrows, Mind Control/Shadows of the Dead, things like that. I've previously made posts about the poor AI of some of these meat shields companions, but I thought of a way to look past most of that.

Adding a function to command your allies would be a great improvement to all of the above mentioned helpers. Usually, an ally will hide behind something for most of his life, or get gunned down moving between areas. However, with your leadership, they will be more coordinated, and will likely live longer! Nyx and Nekros would have some more strategy involved with their abilities, and Invasion missions would become more than just Exterminate 2.0. Kubrow owners could command their pets to attack, or to stand down as to stay stealthy.

How do we command something from a player's perspective? Well, two things come to mind.

First Option: Waypoints

From an old topic I posted, I remember a user named Rikov suggesting this. Waypoints already use context to change what they mean, and I see no reason why they couldn't be used in this case. Allies could follow your waypoint, adding more function to it in the process. A waypoint directed towards an area would cause them to move to it, and hide behind nearby objects. Targeting an enemy with a waypoint would cause enemies to focus fire or rush towards the enemy. Things like this are more simple, but harder to define what you want your allies to do than other methods. Still, a nice idea and worth trying.

Second Option: Radial Menu

A radial menu is a menu that appears when holding a button (we'll use Z as an example). When holding the Z button, some icons appear (or words), and your mouse is centered to the screen for a split-second. You no longer control your camera, and you can click on any of the icons. These icons could tell troops to do more specific actions, but would require you to stop what you were doing. One icon could tell troops to move to your waypoint, much like the first choice. But there are many other options with this case. You could use a menu to tell them to hide behind cover, charge enemies, come to your aid (allies follow you and give you protection, primarily Shield Ospreys and Shield Lancers), "normal" mode to return to default AI, and much more.

Honestly, I have no idea how difficult it is to add these features, but I would be amazed to see either one in game. It would add a little strategy to the game, and give you more options when pinned down (call an ally for help). If you guys have anything to say or build onto this idea, feel free to say it.