Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Pics] Hud Suggestions

Demitsorou

I see a lot of talking about Mod UI and other things, but no one actually mentions the in-game HUD, that was bugging me since I started playing warframe. It's not ergonomic and it makes my eyes hurt after some hours playing it because I need to roll my eyes all over my screen to check all the important information. So I took time and observed what could be done to improve it and I came up with this layout:

link

In the middle we have all the important information we need. Our health and shields, energy and weapons. Also we have quick items we can use with hot-keys (don't mind they have 1-7 bindings), melee weapon experience bar, both ranged weapons (sidearm showing level and ammo, plus it's glowing orange which means it leveled). I added a simple sentinel bar so we can check the shield and health of our lovely pet, and a party interface (helpful for support players to check the shields and health).

On the right side is chat and where Lotus will pop-up and tell us about situation.

On the left we have less important infromation such as warframe experience, minimap and challenge, also there can be item pickups list.

This way you don't need to roll your eyes all over your display to see "Hmmm, i need to go this way, my Volt is almost 30, i don't have any clips in my Boltor, and oh look, my Aklato leveled! And what my challenge was again?.." All you need is to look a bit down to see everything you need. It will reduce the eye strain a lot (which I suffer from).This layout is not a mandatory by all means, it should be allowed to change the size of different sections or reposition it, but I feel like this is the most comfortable and ergonomic way to keep the information you need in check.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed, also critique is highly appreciated.

I actually like the sparse HUD that is in there now, all the info piled in the center like that would cover all of the animations our characters do, not to mention directly cluttering up the space at the bottom of the screen where we find Noxious crawlers gnawing at our feet.  The smaller the HUD and the more the open space of the game is displayed the better in my humble opinion.

I actually like the sparse HUD that is in there now, all the info piled in the center like that would cover all of the animations our characters do, not to mention directly cluttering up the space at the bottom of the screen where we find Noxious crawlers gnawing at our feet.  The smaller the HUD and the more the open space of the game is displayed the better in my humble opinion.

I was in the same shoes when I started playing multiplayer games, but after some time I realized it's bad, it's not helpful. HUD can be resized, sure, it can be done really ergonomic at the bottom (hell, it can be faded when out of combat), but at the state it is now, it's not great. My screen is pretty big, and it gets tedious looking at top right, then at bottom left and then at the center.

I like some aspects of it, but you don't want to shove too much info in one space. One thing I would suggest is that those two curved lines that are part of the crosshair be turned into health/shield bars, but keep the numbers in a corner for detailed information. I would reccomend that character info is in the bottom left corner, because thats where it is in most games, and since it is also the default position of your character it is a subtle way of saying: "hey you, these are your stats"

I like some aspects of it, but you don't want to shove too much info in one space. One thing I would suggest is that those two curved lines that are part of the crosshair be turned into health/shield bars, but keep the numbers in a corner for detailed information. I would reccomend that character info is in the bottom left corner, because thats where it is in most games, and since it is also the default position of your character it is a subtle way of saying: "hey you, these are your stats"

I like your suggestions, I was actually thinking about some more layouts (the one you suggested and some more), so I'll do them later and update the topic. Thanks for your critique, it's really helpful.

I would keep the same HUD, but be allowed to change their locations to the hell i wanted to.

That would solve all my problems.

But your HUD is quite awesome aswell, although i would rather have it on the screen side then center bottom

This HUD seems very standard MMOish. Great for selecting targets, and hitting hot keys with very little camera movement. It's not very practical for a fast paced third person shooter.

It is, but until we try something new i don't think we can figure out whats better. I presented a layout that I would like, I just want the discussion going on this matter.

I would keep the same HUD, but be allowed to change their locations to the hell i wanted to.

But your HUD is quite awesome aswell, although i would rather have it on the screen side then center bottom

I would like to keep the same HUD too, just to reposition it like I want.

Thank you, I will do more concepts later.

100% agree with this one.

Sorry OP, but your version is too cluttered for me, takes up the main part of the screen, i would prefer it to stay out of the way.

While I'm not a huge fan of the design ascetically I do appreciate the ergonomics and information displayed. I'd love to know my teammates health and shields at a glance to improve the usability of certain support abilities and also the health/shields of my sentinel. Nice work.

I rather badly that hud you made than the actual one. Health near the shield and ammo, but close to your crosshair: that the best thing of it.

Isn't the "Challenger / killer" bar a frag counter or something? Would be great if that were a frag counter so I can be aware of how many bastards I've killed during the match. :3