Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question To Melee Players

Dalawantahr

Question

So I get to like melee more and more everyday, gotten bored with shooting. So to survive in any situation that depends mostly on your melee weapon, how did you mod your frame?

1. What specific mod did you use (inc rank) and why. Did you use Reflect Guard, QT, Reflection, Rage, Constitution, Handspring, Quick Rest, etc?

2. How did you handle flying mobs? If you shoot it, did you use Speed Holster?

3. What aura mod did you use.

4. Is speed important in melee frame build? If yes state the reason.

5. Any advise or issue that I didn't list here?

I'm trying to know which mod is mandatory, which is optional, and which mods compliment each other for a frame melee build.

Added: I'm not going to use channeling much except for life strike. As for survivability is Reflect Guard good? I read somewhere that it doesn't mix well with Reflection.

Edited by Dalawantahr

10 answers to this question

i dont use melee much, but if i use melee its on valkyr

for 2. Sentinel kills them

for 3. Valkyr -> steel charge (+60% melee damage)

Wish we can instruct our sentinels to prioritize airborne enemies. Struggling to fast kill the farting ofsprey while in melee mode.

1. If you're going for melee all the way, just give your frame survivability. Powers which may give them survivability is also good (iron skin, turnbulence et cetera). Stamina mods since melee eats stamina.

2. Jump+SpinAttacks. May take time to get used to but it comes handy. Practice with long range weapons like Orthos Prime or Bo since they can hit better with their range. Eventually you'll be able to do it with short range melee.

3. SteelCharge. I love meleeing. I even polarized some aura slots so it would fit.

4. Speed is essential since you'd have to get to them first before they get you. Or you can block while trying to get close to them. Hence, Reflection mod is a good choice. You're modding your frame for a melee run anyway, you better make space for Reflection. :)

5. Not so wise to melee super high level mobs unless you are Valkyr. Try Life Strike. This may help if you have a tanky frame.

I play melee only and the way i destroy flying pests is do a spin attack in the air. Honestly it doesnt matter too much on how you mod your frame, but lets say you are doing a channel melee build, it's best to have lots of energy. Like using flow, energy siphon etc..To me it matters most on which frame you are using. Like invis damage multipliers etc..

1. If you're going for melee all the way, just give your frame survivability. Powers which may give them survivability is also good (iron skin, turnbulence et cetera). Stamina mods since melee eats stamina.

Let's say I don't play the usual frame for melee, say I use Excalibro, do you think it's Reflex Guard is good to mod in for survivability? And which stamina mods do you use?

4. Speed is essential since you'd have to get to them first before they get you. Or you can block while trying to get close to them. Hence, Reflection mod is a good choice. You're modding your frame for a melee run anyway, you better make space for Reflection. :)

Do you mod for speed too or you just do fast maneuvers?

Honestly it doesnt matter too much on how you mod your frame

So you just basically mod base on the frame powers you're gonna use, say you going with a Loki you build it base on invisibility?

There is not a perfect way to 'melee only'. It depends on what kind of playstyle you have or want.

For example, a weapon with a channel efficiency build requires different mods from a normal weapon. And normal weapons share only some particular mods (generally 5-6). The other ones changes between weapons, and following the weapon role. 
For example, a mod like Pressure Point is essential on every weapon, but a mod like Reach could or couldn't be used. 

For Warframes, first of all it depends on their builds. Then on their role. 
For example, some Warframes can be used for melee only, but have different builds and use different mods (as for Valkyr, Ash and Excalibur). 

So, personally, I think that first of all you have to think about the Warframe and weapon role and create a prototype-build that works. Then, you have to unite them. For example, a Channeling Efficiency weapon could require on a Frame mods like Energy Siphon, Rage, Flow, and Energy Efficiency ones to better handle Energy during fight. 

I mean, things like these. You have to choose one Warframe and a Weapon, and then think about two builds with synergy. 

EDIT: I use Excalibur Prime for melee (for now, waiting for Ash Prime). I don't use Channeling so my builds for weapons generally are DPS-range based (for mobs), so my Frame is built using just a simple Radial Blind build with Vitality and Redirection.

Edited by Latronico

Let's say I don't play the usual frame for melee, say I use Excalibro, do you think it's Reflex Guard is good to mod in for survivability? And which stamina mods do you use?

I don't really use Reflex Guard. Eats allot of mod points. I just usually hold block until I'm close enough to strike. Or sometimes since I got high shields (considering I'm modded for melee combat) I just run towards the enemy, roll-slide-fancymoves to avoid potentially incoming bullets, then hit them.

Marathon-For more Stamina. And Rush too.

Do you mod for speed too or you just do fast maneuvers?

I love the Rush mod. And yes coptering also helps when you got a quick melee equipped.

Here's a sample configuration:

YchwejM.jpg?1

This one focuses on making the most out of Contagion. No Marathon in this one since I got the Arcane Chlora.

Does anyone actually care about stamina? I mean, boo hoo, I can't wallrun in the middle of a fight... but why would you want to?

The only thing you really lose is the ability to block, and on squishier frames I use Reflex Guard to block even with 0 stamina. It's pretty OP right now. Tossing on a Reflection can actually do some decent damage at higher levels.

Otherwise, Vital + Rage + Life Strike seems to be the combination with the most sustainable health. It means losing a damage mod off the weapon tho, so you might be better off with a frame that doesn't need it. Being somewhat susceptible to burst damage, I like to drop in QT as well (frame permitting).

There is not a perfect way to 'melee only'. It depends on what kind of playstyle you have or want.

For example, a weapon with a channel efficiency build requires different mods from a normal weapon. And normal weapons share only some particular mods (generally 5-6). The other ones changes between weapons, and following the weapon role. 

For example, a mod like Pressure Point is essential on every weapon, but a mod like Reach could or couldn't be used. 

That's just it, I'm trying to learn a new play style, melee only. I've been meleeing with a Nekros that is buiild with survivability with the usual suspect mod Vit + QT + Equil + Rage + Natural Talent + Max Efficiency to compliment my desecrate, there are no frame melee mod whatsoever like speed mods, stam mods, defense mods like reflex guard or reflection. I was wondering if anybody has found a substitute build to use on a non-melee frame.

I mean, things like these. You have to choose one Warframe and a Weapon, and then think about two builds with synergy. 

I'm getting dizzy trying to figure things out lol, so yeah currently formaing my Ash and build it base on Smoke Screen and Teleport with Orthos Prime.

@HollowFrame thx for your answers.

Does anyone actually care about stamina? I mean, boo hoo, I can't wallrun in the middle of a fight... but why would you want to?

The only thing you really lose is the ability to block, and on squishier frames I use Reflex Guard to block even with 0 stamina. It's pretty OP right now. Tossing on a Reflection can actually do some decent damage at higher levels.

Otherwise, Vital + Rage + Life Strike seems to be the combination with the most sustainable health. It means losing a damage mod off the weapon tho, so you might be better off with a frame that doesn't need it. Being somewhat susceptible to burst damage, I like to drop in QT as well (frame permitting).

Maybe if someone do use combo a lot then maybe stamina is needed?

About Reflex Guard, some says it's 'God Mode' you just stand with your back at a wall and do nothing, you won't even get a scratch, but some says it's not worth it at all. I'm confused which is it. And I will definitely going to use Vit+Rage+Life Strike.