Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Are Your Thoughts On The New Critical Strike Changes In The "stormbringer" Update?

richardddd

Mindblowing sophisticated post containing sound, structured arguments

Spoken like a sir.

I have to shamefully admit that I never really thought about it that way. The only way I can see critical chance and damage mods not being obsolete is if critical damage mods have a much higher damage bonus than the regular damage increasing ones. That would give it some purpose - only if the crit chance granted by mods was additive, of course. But then again, if every single shot was a critical which dealt insane damage, that would just be an all-route superior choice to the regular damage increasing mods, making the latter obsolete.

Edited by BlueSpark

Spoken like a sir.

I have to shamefully admit that I never really thought about it that way. The only way I can see critical chance and damage mods not being obsolete is if critical damage mods have a much higher damage bonus than the regular damage increasing ones. That would give it some purpose - only if the crit chance granted by mods was additive, of course. But then again, if every single shot was a critical which dealt insane damage, that would just be an all-route superior choice to the regular damage increasing mods, making the latter obsolete.

Making crit additive wouldn't really solve the issue of redundancy, it will always either be a poor choice due to more reliable methods, or in very high chance or damage cases, the only choice to keep up. Also, making crit additive would add further redundancy to the game, as Multishot literally is additive crit under a different name. Incidentally, from what I've surmised of pre-update 7, Multishot was literally the most effective damage boost was it not? To the point where it was a non-choice, much like how "crit" would become if it were allowed to be worth using.

The reality is, Critical Chance, Critical Damage, and Multishot are all bad for the game. They are all based on random factors rather than skill, and they all act as further damage multipliers to an already acceptable multiplier system. We don't actually NEED any more than the normal damage boost, elemental damage mods, and fire rate mods, and as I stated in a previous post the normal damage could be relegated to weapon rank, meaning we'd only actually need the elemental types, firing rate, and of course the more utility mods such as capacity increase and reload. This would also free up room to make mods that actually adjust the gameplay, rather than having an excessive number of damage mods.

The problem is, I've been in a lot of betas, and a lot of them still cling to the idea of crit when it isn't needed. No matter how the information is presented, all of them went with it anyway. In the case of Warframe, this is one thing I'm hoping to help alter while it's in a young state, especially because this game actually requires aim which further makes crit redundant through targeting vital spots. I really don't want the gameplay to devolve into a game of chance, the random maps keep things fresh, the random mod drops are alright(though the boss drops need to go die in a fire), but having random modifiers on attacks needs to go, this game should be beyond that.

I use crit/crit chance on my lex. crit chance fully leveled gives lex a 33% crit rate which is pretty high.

I'm going to guess Lex is one of those double damage on crit ones, as it's a sniper pistol. You are using a maxed crit chance mod to gain an extra 18% chance to do 100% bonus damage, in other words only effectively 18% more DPS, which is unreliable. Even if the crit damage were a very high triple damage on crit, it would still only be a 36% damage boost. Why use that when you can use literally anything else, and also not have to rely on chance? In fact, the Lex's damage is so high naturally that with a high level Hornet Strike and some elemental damage, you should be one shotting most things to begin with, no need to hope for a crit.