Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tablet Help?

Vitras

I have to turn to asking on here, because all of my other searches (bing, google, etc.) have not helped.

I've recently got my first android tablet (yay me) and there's only one real issue that's been bugging me. Even though it isn't, and never has been, connected to a mobile network (I don't think it even has a sim card) it has been on cell standby, sucking up my battery. The most common solution I found was the obvious turning on airplane mode. Nope, it was still there even after recharging. Next up was cell radio/APN widgets and apps, but those didn't work either though I wasn't surprised. All the topics/answers I read were usually with people who actually used mobile networks though, so I realized it probably wasn't the best place to look anymore.

So, any ideas how to stop the cell standby?

On a side note, is there any good ways to boost the RAM or anything for it? I already got this Clean Master app with a memory booster (aka an app killer) and game booster, it still stutters even with just one app running.

Give modding the tablet a go. This all depends on whether or not you want to risk voiding your warranty, but doing it right far outgmweighs the risks. You'll gain full control over the operating system, CPU, and even be able to backup your OS and apps with no problem. Try rooting first- look up (tablet name here) root. This allows you basic functions like:

Loading a custom OS

Backing up apps

Clearing junkware

If you want to take it a step further, load a custom version of android- called a ROM- which gives you absolute control over tasks, and even allows you to control RAM usage and VRAM as you please. I recommend CyanogenMod 11, but a word of warning- try the 'Stable' or 'M' builds, not nightlies, as the nightlies are bug-riddled and are for advanced users only. This gives you:

A clean, near-stock, fully customizable version of Android

No junkware apps from the start

Extreme control over your tablet

Freedom to back up your OS and swap OS's as you please, with caution of course!

Rooting voids the warranty, but ROMming has a large support community. Again, make sure root methods and ROM files are for your exact tablet model. If you can't find it, don't try it. Ask around before you brick your tablet. I'm not responsible if anything bad happens.

I've done it to much success with my phones and tablets. Look up the tutorials. I recommend XDA developers as a go-to place for accurate guides and root and ROM files. If you're feeling lucky, give it a go!

About the mobile network function: check your settings. It should say mobile data or something of the sort. Deactivate it. You can also try airplane mode and then activating WiFi. Again, rooting and cyanogen do give you control over how much its used and what modes it operates in, but manufacturer editions if Android should all include this function to some degree.

Edited by UpgradeInProgress

Give modding the tablet a go. This all depends on whether or not you want to risk voiding your warranty, but doing it right far outgmweighs the risks. You'll gain full control over the operating system, CPU, and even be able to backup your OS and apps with no problem. Try rooting first- look up (tablet name here) root. This allows you basic functions like:

Loading a custom OS

Backing up apps

Clearing junkware

If you want to take it a step further, load a custom version of android- called a ROM- which gives you absolute control over tasks, and even allows you to control RAM usage and VRAM as you please. I recommend CyanogenMod 11, but a word of warning- try the 'Stable' or 'M' builds, not nightlies, as the nightlies are bug-riddled and are for advanced users only. This gives you:

A clean, near-stock, fully customizable version of Android

No junkware apps from the start

Extreme control over your tablet

Freedom to back up your OS and swap OS's as you please, with caution of course!

Rooting voids the warranty, but ROMming has a large support community. Again, make sure root methods and ROM files are for your exact tablet model. If you can't find it, don't try it. Ask around before you brick your tablet. I'm not responsible if anything bad happens.

I've done it to much success with my phones and tablets. Look up the tutorials. I recommend XDA developers as a go-to place for accurate guides and root and ROM files. If you're feeling lucky, give it a go!

Hm, I heard of roots and ROMs before but wasn't sure what they were. I'll see if there is one for my model (it's a less popular one, I believe) and will try it. Thanks much.

About the mobile network function: check your settings. It should say mobile data or something of the sort. Deactivate it. You can also try airplane mode and then activating WiFi. Again, rooting and cyanogen do give you control over how much its used and what modes it operates in, but manufacturer editions if Android should all include this function to some degree.

So I looked up if there were any guides for rooting my tablet (AKASO Kingpad, it's pretty much a Dragon Touch tablet), and I only found one, which is almost a year old. There's just one reply to the guide and I'm feeling kinda uneasy about trusting that one.

The annoying thing is, there isn't an actual option to deactivate the mobile data, cell radio or anything, probably because it doesn't actually have the function (and yet still has the cell standby). Even airplane mode doesn't actually turn it off. I was thinking of looking into cyanogen if I can root it, so that might do the trick.

Edited by Vitras

Ask around. Forums are actually reliable places for info, especially Android Central or XDA. They'll be more than happy to help, I'm sure. Don't root it if you don't trust the source!

After 4 hours of researching (leading me in circles) and an hour of trial and error, I finally got it rooted without bricking it (phew). I already got four different booster apps (the one for RAM is great) and it's doing fine. Not sure if I feel confident enough to try cyanogenmod though.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

After 4 hours of researching (leading me in circles) and an hour of trial and error, I finally got it rooted without bricking it (phew). I already got four different booster apps (the one for RAM is great) and it's doing fine. Not sure if I feel confident enough to try cyanogenmod though.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

No problem, enjoy your rooted tablet! Some must-downloads:

ClockWorkMod (If you plan on ROMming, or just want to back up your stock OS)

TitaniumBackup (To save and backup all of your files to a compressed folder in case of bricking)

SuperUser (an absolute MUST if you plan on using any root apps, the ones by ChainsDD or ChainFire are the ones I use, and usually do the trick)

If you ever decide to give ROMming a try, send me a PM and I'll try and find some information for you.

Have fun, 

Upgrade