Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Charged melee attack: manual release

Shifted

Hey, just a small suggestion here:

It would be nice if we could manually release a charged attack. Currently it automatically releases once it's charged.

You can only pre-release it but that results in a normal attack.

I guess the contrargument to that is it removes the "skill" part of the game about timing the attack correctly but for me it's less important than getting frustrated because i missed the target by inches.

Sorry if this has been suggested before, there's so many general "melee" threads already..

Thanks.

EDIT, after seeing the discussion:

itu7j.png

Could be a tick in the settings, should've thought of it sooner.

My bad.

Edited by Shifted

i'd prefer to keep it the way it is currently, since this is a new game and still under progress.. "we" the players still have to get used to such things as the timings and such aspects of this game. once we get around it all, the Champions will stand above those who fail to learn

I'm going to be one of those that stands by the current iteration for the very "skill" reason you mentioned. Its frustrating when you miss, true, but its even more satisfying when you have the timing down and are deadly precise.

The timing and ease of use esp when using a mouse button for it, isn't really a difficulty thing unless your ruberbanding from lag due to the host having a poor connect.

Having a manual release makes it more of a control and react thing instead of a hold for a second or two depending on skill before approaching enemy, I can't see it as something that would make it any easier if not just as cumbersom, and more of an option for those who prefer control over magical timing events. Those who like the timing game can continue to single shot their gorgons with 1sec gaps between shots to reduce accuracy loss. ;p

Absolutely keep it as it is. There's definitely a problem with charged attacks being kind of janky and sometimes not working when trying to do them in quick repetition, but being able to store a charge is not a solution at all. You'd still get that problem regardless. When you miss by a few inches it's definitely frustrating, but it's not a negative frustration because you know it's your own fault (unless you miss because your attack doesn't register, but that's a totally different discussion). Being able to charge up and store the charge would just remove all the satisfaction from doing it, and arguably completely negate the point of charging in the first place. You'd just be walking up to people and releasing the button for instant kills, without really ever being in danger. Having to charge it just before attacking makes for a more exciting dynamic where the enemies actually have a chance to cancel you out of it.

Absolutely keep it as it is. There's definitely a problem with charged attacks being kind of janky and sometimes not working when trying to do them in quick repetition, but being able to store a charge is not a solution at all. You'd still get that problem regardless. When you miss by a few inches it's definitely frustrating, but it's not a negative frustration because you know it's your own fault (unless you miss because your attack doesn't register, but that's a totally different discussion). Being able to charge up and store the charge would just remove all the satisfaction from doing it, and arguably completely negate the point of charging in the first place. You'd just be walking up to people and releasing the button for instant kills, without really ever being in danger. Having to charge it just before attacking makes for a more exciting dynamic where the enemies actually have a chance to cancel you out of it.

Not sure it was implied that you would store it, more as you would hold it then let go of the button for it to occur. I would think this would still prevent any other forms of action without canceling it. eg. hold button, let go to attack, can't shoot while holding.

At the very least it wouldn't be any easier to use than it is now, those who cannot manage "count to 1 or count to 2 on approach", shouldn't be using mele anyway, to those who can, it's already easy. I have it bound to mouse4, for me, it is very easy (can do 2 slashes quite easily even with full turnaround without miss 99% of the time and sometimes toss in a jump stab or slide slash for effect), just as easy as time gap timing gorgon shots for accuracy if not easier.

I cannot see why it cannot be made as a user option.