The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Cross Platform Multiplayer.

(PSN)Pharen

It was originally said that the PS4 was going to be cross platform multiplayer capable with PC, but that got canned because "PC players didn't want to wait for console updates". However since the Xbox one is on the same update as the PS4, is there any chance we could have cross platform Xbox one to PS4 multiplayer? It would significantly increase the number of people who can play together, making it easier to find a game, also for those of us who have friends who went with the Xbox one for whatever reason, we would still be able to have a game with them.

It was originally said that the PS4 was going to be cross platform multiplayer capable with PC, but that got canned because "PC players didn't want to wait for console updates". However since the Xbox one is on the same update as the PS4, is there any chance we could have cross platform Xbox one to PS4 multiplayer? It would significantly increase the number of people who can play together, making it easier to find a game, also for those of us who have friends who went with the Xbox one for whatever reason, we would still be able to have a game with them.

No, M$ would never allow it. 

PC players shouldn't have to wait for console updates, the problem is they develop the two separately apparently.  An update is live on PC long before the update is even sent for certification to Sony.  The reason we don't have cross-platform is all DE.  If you buy that they don't have the staff to develop them in tandem, they decided to expand to X-bone before they delivered on that initial PS4 cross-platform promise.

Sony apparently had no problem with frequent updates when DE said they wanted things cross-platform (note that there are already other cross-platform games on PS4):

[Creative Director Steve Sinclair] told Sony at the show that he wanted Warframe to be updated every week or two weeks, and that players would be able to team up with PC users using cross-platform. They agreed no questions asked. It surprised Sinclair as he initially feared there would be many political hurdles blocking his team’s ambition, particularly when cross-play was concerned. It was a non-issue for Sony.

Note, their FAQ on migration/cross-platform still says it's supposed to happen as well:

Cross-platform Play:
Currently cross platform play is a go but likely not for Day 1, expect this sometime during launch window. The two platforms will cross-play only when build versions are in sync (see below).

That was about a year ago now.  I think PS4 players are a minority on the forums (because hanging out on PC forums is a more natural fit for someone with a keyboard at a PC) and our voices aren't exactly heard on this.

Okay, firstly, I'm not trash talking PC players when I say the reason that there is no cross-play with PC is because the PC players didn't want to wait for console updates, I was just stating a fact. Secondly, there is no official word from DE of there being development of cross play for the XO and PS4 versions, which is why I brought this up to begin with. I know there are alot of Xbox one and PS4 players who would be happy with cross-play and I believe that DE are capable of making it work. They have shown great skill and commitment with this game to be able to release such frequent content updates and bug fixes. PS4 players are a minority on this forums because PC players are more accepting of the free-to-play model in my experiences, and the larger the community, the more people on the forums.

• 1 month later...

I just wish they would bring this topic up again and make a big statement on it at the very least. Cross platform is pretty much the only thing holding me back from going all out with this game. The reason it is a big issue (to the posters above) is that most of my friends who play are on PC, and I just don't have a system capable of smoothly playing Warframe. I'm stuck talking about it at work and then going home to play on my own on PS4. I've actually gotten so annoyed with it before that I've drop the game for a few months out of boredom, and refuse to spend much on Plat until they make good on their promise. At least cross console for now would allow some more connectivity until the builds sync. And I'm sorry but the attitude i've seen first hand from the PC players on these forums makes me truly believe they need to stop being selfish, suck it up, and perhaps let DE slow down temporarily to allow the sync to happen. That or be more accepting of the other platforms to encourage DE to bring everyone together sooner.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cant see cross-play happening with X1.  We have arcane helmets, they do not.  

That's only because there release was after the retirement of helmets with stats. And since the new helmets are stat-less the old ones were placed into the catagory of "arcane" as to not upset the people who earned them. However I'm pretty sure Cross play has been officially canned for all platforms.

I cant see cross-play happening with X1.  We have arcane helmets, they do not.  

That would have nothing to do with preventing cross play. They wouldn't have to add any additional assets as the helmet models are exactly the same and the stat increase is only a numerical value in the code.

That would have nothing to do with preventing cross play. They wouldn't have to add any additional assets as the helmet models are exactly the same and the stat increase is only a numerical value in the code.

I doubt MS would allow cross-platform because the difference.  I just dont see them agreeing to cross-platform, knowing their population is already inferior/weaker than the PS4 population.  Granted, its only a small boost, but I still dont see it happening.  

Cross-Platform between Sony and MS consoles will never happen, unless MS buys Sony.  It wouldn't just mean XB1 and PS4 consoles talking to each other, but also Xbox Live and Playstation Network.

I have this feeling that, on the infrastruture end, someone just needs to plug a wire from one switch into another switch and they'll all mingle, but that would violate some kind of legal agreement between Sony, MS, De, or all of the above.