The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Separating Zorencoptering From Our Zorens

Vanadium

Nope, not a Zorencoptering bash thread.

TL;DR: If Zorencoptering is here to stay, it should be refined, which may include removing it from melee weapons and just having it as something Warframes do.

Even so, the last Devstream kind of left an idea hanging: "Zorencoptering is like skiing in Tribes."

Pretty much, yeah. For those who don't know about skiing and it's rich history or about Tribes and it's rich...everything, I'm not going spend time on the exposition of days of gaming yore (also, shame on you and "what r u? casul?"). Point is, skiing was eventually refined, having it's own indicative graphical effect and being easy to use/understand, but hard to master (kind of what DE is supposedly going for with mobility and melee).

I feel what needs to be done is for Zorencoptering not to be affected simply by what melee weapon you're using. Especially now with heavy melee being weak, lack of coptering is another deterrent for heavy melee use. I would say that heavy melee needs coptering the most, since the slow swings make it easy for the bad AI navigation to just wander off or vampire leap away from you, while you're left in a 1-2s combo. Coptering is necessary to close range fast for heavies and to chase them down again when you miss.

It also gives speed to Warframes that shouldn't have speed, breaking any inherent drawbacks. "But Zorens are a drawback!" They were, apparently they're pretty good now. There are also a handful of other very viable weapons that also copter, like Scoliac, Bo (Prime), and Fangs (Prime). I'm talking almost solely about Rhino. To get some parallel, the Heavy armor in Tribes always had difficulty with mobility and that was its main drawback. But enough about that.

Finally, it just doesn't make sense. I spin fast, so I fly forward at ludicrous speeds. Why? Because my melee weapon is fast. Science.

Solutions:

Really, I don't know. My head keeps going back to the Long Jump Module from Half-Life 1.

800px-T0a0a0007.jpg

Basically, little boosters integrated into each frame, at points that would propel your center of mass forward (top of the shoulder, lower back, hips, and maybe thighs).

Not like this, though:

tumblr_ma5ibd6zae1r24vdi.jpg" />

still rad, tho

Because, y'know, we need room for our Birdlifters.

Another option is just sick Ninja jumping:

giphy.gif

Ninja jumping fits in a game where we're supposed to be ninjas (honestly, I've given up on Tenno being space ninjas).

That's all I got. Feel free to leave your own ideas and discuss.

archwings are coming

who needs coptering

archwings will probably only work out in space, and most of the inside tiles are WAY too cramped for wing use either way.

Only exception is the original orokin void (derelict a bit less, loads of roots and stuff), due to the massive halls and doors.

archwings are coming

who needs coptering

I kinda agree that when Archwings come out, no one is going play any other part of Warframe again, ever.

This does sound like a good idea for a new consumable or for "universal" warframe abilities (altho the universal abilities would require some kind of rework/replacement for frames with movement-based abilities)

I wouldn't intend for coptering to be a generic ability. Kind of like how every size-class in Tribes has skies and a jetpack, every Warframe should be able to copter (some better than others) out of the box. There could be mods to effect 'thrust' or vertical movement to horizontal, but having it as a mod itself, when our space is already so limited, would mean that teammates would be lagging behind because they're sporting a mod build that fills all the slots and is more or less required for that frame (like my Trinity's NT/Fleeting build).

I was also thinking that it would be this new coptering that makes certain abilities possible, like Slash Dash, Tail Wind, Rhino Charge, etc. Really, how does Exalibro do that? Little jet boosters makes the most sense.