Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternative Voting For Dc Polls?

Fujimura

As I was not sure where to post this... Forum Feedback here we go.

Can we have alternative voting (sometimes known as Instant-run off voting) on the Design Council polls?

FPTP typically leads to a minority victory (ie. only small% want X but larger % want V,W,Y, and Z) or strategic voting (Voter thinks: "what I want will not win, so I will vote for X") =_=

Explanations of FPTP and AV by CGPGrey below:

First Past The Post Voting

Alternative Voting

His videos are really good :x

nah. People should vote for what they actually want. And not vote so another thing they dont like will be overvoted...

It shouldnt end in a vote war....

What? No offense, but I don't think you understand what the OP is suggesting - a vote war is what's being prevented, using the alternative voting system. The alternative voting system isn't about voting so that another thing that they don't like will be overvoted. Look at it this way:

DE gives us options A, B, C, and D (regarding a new Founder's warframe design, for example). Under the current voting system, let's say...

A- 20%

B- 15%

C- 30%

D- 35%

Option D wins, because the majority of people prefer D, yes? Except it's not the majority of people that prefer D. Only 35% of voters liked design D the most. 65% of voters wanted a different design. The alternative voting system that the OP suggested is about voting based on preference. Maybe you liked A the most, for example, and C was the next best design, and you hated design D. You'd vote so that A = 1, C = 2, B = 3, D = 4.

If A doesn't win based on the '1' votes, your vote 'transfers' to your next favourite design, the one you would have voted on if A didn't exist - C, in other words.  It's absolutely fair.

If we were to extrapolate the voting system to the absolute extreme, then the main problem with the current system can be described as such: It is possible for D to be the most hated design, and still win because 65% of the playerbase wanted anything other than D, but had a differing opinion as to which design they preferred most over D. If there were more options it would be possible to have D win even if 95% of the playerbase hated it, just because that 95% were split between the other options and that resulted in D getting the highest % of votes.

Really, the system that the OP described is the best way to get the most people satisfied, and it's the fairest way to do it. The only real problem with it is that it's difficult to implement on a forum, and people might not really bother making use of it (but if you're a Master and paid that much to access the Design Council, I assume you would).

I just would prefer on choices that we get to make on the design council be based on what the majority of us want especially considering our most recent poll =_=

So many options.

Edited by Fujimura