Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Headcanon/fanfiction Series] Origin Of The Tenno.

Tesseract_The_Pariah

I'll be adding more to this.  It'll be a small series.  It'll be a nice break from my normal stuff.

I'm putting mostly heart into this, with minimal editing.  Expect some rough patches.  Hopefully I convey the concepts clearly enough.  If I don't, tell me. 

I'll post chapter 1 quick to get a premise started.  I suspect this'll go on for about 5 chapters, if I can motivate myself for that much.  That depends on you all.  Motivate me by showing interest - Do you think this is good enough for more?

Chapter 1: The Call.

Hayden knelt in the candle lit room. He'd grown much over the centuries, and after visiting some Shaolin monks in Henan, he'd been taught the wonders meditation could do for him. Even though he'd mastered Technocyte, he hadn't mastered himself by that time. It'd created quite the rift within himself, as he couldn't make peace with what he'd done in Lasria. Not afterwards, at least. The world had been devastated. All because of him. If he'd just listened. It all made sense afterwards.

There was a knock on the door. Hayden awoke from a sleep of untold length.

The door hissed open, revealing a form bathed in dazzling light, its golden and white robe flowing in the air. "We need you."

----

Mara sprinted across the field, every piece of tech discarded. The asteroid had landed just as the broadcast station predicted, but what had come out had not been predicted. An insectoid being, utterly indescribable. It seemed to project a radius around itself that not only interfered with technology, but made it rebel against its owner.

Mara had witnessed it rampage through the base, making the Forma in each of their suits strangle them. Kaleen was lucky enough to be wearing underwear, at least. Every piece of her overclothes had been shredded by the Forma coming to life, the circuits overheating as she threw them off.

She was running away from the base. Whatever that thing was, it just loved eating Forma. It loved eating technology. It loved eating people. They'd brought it back, under the pretense that it'd been disabled by a few aptly placed Lex shots.

It wasn't. It was simply recovering.

She reached the top of the hill, shivering. She had to get off planet; warn the Orokin. But then she took a look on the horizon, dotted with new impact craters. Thousands of these damned bugs crawled around in big rows.

The entire hemisphere of Olympus is overrun.

Mara fell to her knees, a Sentient coming up behind her.

----

"After locking me away like this, for god knows how long, you barge in here and ask for my help with something?"

"You were not needed." The voice was hollow and shrill, its robes burning bright in the unfamilliar light.

"How long was I away even?" Hayden flexed his hands, crackling as he rebroke seams in the metallic chitin. He'd been hibernating for a while.

"Two standard centuries. In this time we have reseeded earth with forests and fauna. The devastation you wrought has been undone."

"It wasn't my fault... How was I supposed to trust Mezner?"

"The Call we broadcasted fell on insane ears. The Gift of Cold sadly has that effect. On all but you... and a few others..."

"Others?" Hayden strained his fists. "There are others?"

"They came after. They were disposed of. We would have done the same to you had you not been the one to release us. This proves fortunate, as we are of the belief that only you and your kind can be of assistance."

"You killed them? You killed people who assimilated Technocyte? Why!" Century old rage boiled up beneath his carapace.

"We cannot control them. They are powerful. So they are dangerous. Despite The Gift of Cold being ours, when it falls under the sphere of others it cannot be controlled. And for prosperity to be achieved, control must be stringent and precise. You are a soldier, you understand this"

"There's being a soldier, and then there's slavery."

"You are never truly free."

"But you are. No, F*** you. You don't get any of my help. Whatever it is, I hope it kills all of you. I'd rather earth had died than you monsters enslaving humanity. Maybe now that can come true."

Hayden was bitter. He'd freed these... things. And they'd saved earth from the Technocyte infestation. He'd wandered for decades in between, the technocyte slowly spreading across the earth like rot on an apple. He'd always marked its arrival. He'd fought, he'd killed. He'd done everything to stop it, but no matter what he did, one person was simply not enough. Of course, he'd tried to recruit others.

They'd always ended up like Nadia or Mezner. Insane. Plus, he couldn't manufacture another Warframe. He lacked the capability. He was a soldier, not a scientist. But, right out of Lasria, he'd been hearing the Orokin talking to him, through their virus. He didn't listen. He didn't trust voices in his head, no matter how much sense they made. He'd resisted – he was determined not to be like Mezner. But, in a last act of desperation, he had freed them.

"We do not enslave. We control. Subtly. Humans call it society. Surely, you will listen to us this time when we offer to at least show you the good we have done? We are benevolent. Humanity has prospered under our rule." The Orokin stepped aside, a gleaming white metallic arm making an ushering motion to the blinding white hallway. "We will show you, if you let us. And then you will know what is at stake."

Hayden followed the Orokin.

----

"These Sentient Beings disrupt Technocyte and then usurp it." The Orokin said, folding its arms behind its back. They always wore helmets and robes that obscured their gender. "Technocyte has turned from being your damnation to your savior. Every piece of technology you use is now based on The Gift of Cold. Entertaining to think your United States thought of it as a bioweapon."

Hayden found himself agreeing, now calmed down when he saw earth's forests interspersed with white towers. People looked happy. Well fed. He'd been impressed. "So, what makes you think I can help?" Hayden brandished his technocyte encrusted arm.

"We have run combat tests against these creatures. In 99% of cases, the Forma and Civilian designated strains have become compromised. But, the old strain is so archaic that it has no such vulnerabilities to be controlled. It's void based metabolism is anathema to them."

"The Void? That alternate dimension you can't understand? I suppose that means you can't control it, can you? That must be why you aren't using it."

"Indeed. We elected to replace the mechanics responsible for void based biology with more connective neurocircuitry and even teleconnectivity. This rendered it under our control and made it more pliable to our efforts."

"So, you want me to fight some of these things? And then what? I'm only one person. I can't fight an entire war."

"Indeed. That is why we have plans to replicate the conditions that lead to your assimilation of the Gift of Cold to the ends of creating an effective warrior caste to combat the threat."

"I thought you'd killed all of them. You said they were dangerous. Why would you want to go against your previous judgement and endanger yourselves?"

"At the time, we needed to. But our stance has evolved. You yourself are not necessarily dangerous, but the individuals we disposed of would have been eventually. They did not possess certain traits that you have. Beyond Congenital Analgesia and a sense of deep guilt, you also require one other thing to remain stable after Assimilation. The discipline of a soldier."

"So... How are you planning on doing this?"

"We will find the descendants of those who were infected before. We in fact did not kill all of those who assimilated because some eluded us for considerable periods of time. By the time we found them, they had procreated. And the offspring had procreated. And those offspring had procreated. But, the technocyte never left the bloodline. It is within them, mostly deactivated. We observed this, and cataloged the individuals who have the personality types and neurological anomalies required to become... Like you. To become Tenno."

Hayden laughed, unbelieving. "You're naming this warrior caste after me?"

"It is the only thing to name them, as you will teach them."

"So how many are there on your list?"

"0.001 percent of the population. 1000 suitable individuals will be inducted at first.."

"Wait, what? You expect me to teach that many?"

"Not necessarily individually. But, by establishing a Creed of sorts, you can teach by proxy."

"This is quite a big change from locking me in a closet for two hundred years."

"You were not needed. Now you are, Tenno."

Edited by Gaminus

Gift of Cold is what again?, mentioning forma without fully explaining what it is at that given time, how did the Orokin came to be and why do they have such a promiment power in that time? at the very least whoever decides to read this should know how Dark Sectors ended...Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting story and I find it impressive that you actually found something to talk about from such a poor lore (in regards to quantity, not quality), but that doesn't change the fact that it has a fair share of "...what?" moments.

I hope this doesn't bothers you or keeps you from writting more fanfiction, because I would be more than willing to keep reading. 

Gift of Cold is what again?, mentioning forma without fully explaining what it is at that given time, how did the Orokin came to be and why do they have such a promiment power in that time? at the very least whoever decides to read this should know how Dark Sectors ended...Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting story and I find it impressive that you actually found something to talk about from such a poor lore (in regards to quantity, not quality), but that doesn't change the fact that it has a fair share of "...what?" moments.

I hope this doesn't bothers you or keeps you from writting more fanfiction, because I would be more than willing to keep reading. 

All this means is that I still have room for improvement.  I'll be sure to keep writing.

Gift of Cold refers to Technocyte.  Forma is the item ingame.  I just propose that it's in fact another strain of technocyte that's more focused on reshaping things.