Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hostage, Use That Pistol Or Hand It Over!

HexeJaeger

I find it rather annoying that the Hostage has a Pistol, yet she/he does not use it at all. It would be great if they could at least shoot some enemies, instead being a bullet magnet the entire time, especially when I am Soloing and have to carry a data terminal all the while. (That is what Soloing is all about, but I digress.)

Let us not forget the fact that the Hostage was taken captive equipped with their pistol. One would think that they would disarm someone who is held captive, especially in a room with a wall made of reinforced glass. I assume there is some plot-hole that makes it so extracting the prisoner is not that easy? :P

All this aside, If the Hostage can not use the Pistol, at least give it to us to use. It looks like an interesting Pistol model, and if we can acquire the Grineer's Grakata, We should be able to unlock a Tenno-grade pistol, yes?

I would love to hear other players' thoughts on this.

Edited by HexeJaeger

i totally agree with you, they aren't even helping at all. especially in solo where you have to fend for them since they do jack and just follow you.

dunno, i reckon their pistol is probably like the lato.

the plot? i would guess that the "hostage" locked themselves in after crash landing into the enemy territory/ ship and locked themselves into one of the prison locks and requested a SOS to lotus. and only kept a pistol for "EMERGENCY" purposes, and seeing that we're "LOCKED AND LOADED" with strong and powerful weapons, the hostage probably thinks, "they can do the dirty work, thats what they're here for anyways, why bother waste my ammos when the tennos can waste theirs?". you think so?

Edited by asurako989

Eh, I'm fine with them not shooting, since that would just draw enemy aggro and make it harder to protect them.

Actually, scratch that.

Make them shoot! Maybe then it would actually be somewhat challenging to protect them.

But yeah, either make them shoot, or take away their gun if they won't.

Before U7 the hostage could shoot. Maybe DE forgot to implement that when they changed the looks of the hostage?

Strange. Maybe they just scrapped the idea, but accidentally left the pistol on their character model.

Eh, I'm fine with them not shooting, since that would just draw enemy aggro and make it harder to protect them.

Actually, scratch that.

Make them shoot! Maybe then it would actually be somewhat challenging to protect them.

But yeah, either make them shoot, or take away their gun if they won't.

True. I was thinking that it would draw enemy fire and make them an easy target, but why show them wielding a gun if they do not/can not use it? I imagine if they wanted them to be passive, take their gun away, or if they want them to offer support, to give them a handgun to use, you know?

Perhaps make it a random thing where sometimes they have a gun, sometimes they do not? Or possibly have an option to issue commands to the hostage, with a HUD option to say whether one has issued him/her to help with attacking or be passive/evasive. I imagine that would be tricky on a co-op mission though. Perhaps make it a Solo only thing? Why can the Hostage not take active cover like the Grineer and Corpus do? Why can I not trust the Hostage with this Techno-Briefcase Data Terminal?

I do believe if I keep up my tirade this may become a general "improve Hostage mission" thread. :P My apologies.

I do believe if I keep up my tirade this may become a general "improve Hostage mission" thread. :P My apologies.

That's good, isn't it?

I mean, the reason DE is letting us play on an open beta is so that we can help discover bugs and make game-improving suggestions like this one.

I feel a hostage that could defend itself is a tricky situation.

If you free them and they start kicking butt, why did they get captured in the first place?

If you free them and their weapon is like blowing bubbles at the enemy, why have the weapon?

Just remove the pistol, it'd be miles better.

• 2 weeks later...

...either make them shoot, or take away their gun if they won't.

I think this just about summarizes my thoughts on the topic. We have access to a massive arsenal of butter knives and pew-pews, I can't imagine that we're so desperate to have one... more... gun. Besides, if it was any good, he would have shot his way out by now.

I put my vote in for Haif's statement.

No. Nevermind the logic of the hostage having a pistol in the first place. If they shoot they will draw aggro.

If the hostage shoots the enemy the hostage will draw enemy aggro.

If something shoots a mob the mob will attack that thing.

It's already bad enough that there is not a health / shield meter for the hostage with out stopping and looking at them. They do not need to be shooting, I'm sorry but that's a terrible idea. Hostages run through the worst firefights without a scratch then all of a sudden with no warning they are dead and mission failed flashes on my screen. If the npc can shoot they will beyond a shadow of a doubt be even harder to keep alive.

Don't make them shoot, remove the pistol from their hand all together.