The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Are Non-Cb Players Expected To Max 10 Level Mods?

Zyphre

For mods such as Serration, Hornet strike, Vitality, and Redirection - players that didn't have 20 pages of rare fusion cores from CB will find themselves more or less unable to a single mod of this type even to level 8 or 9.  

As a rough and approximate example:

Fusing Serration with Serration rank/amount (assuming the amount need doubles each time which seems to be a good approximation)

Rank 0 = 0

Rank 1 = 1

Rank 2 = 3

Rank 3 = 6

Rank 4 = 12

Rank 5 = 24

Rank 6 = 48

Rank 7 = 96

Rank 8= 192

Rank 9= 384

rank 10= 768

From Rank 0-6 it takes 94 duplicate fusions.  At 600 per fuse that's 56,400 credits.  

Rank 6-7 - 96 fusions, 57600 credits  The diminishing return is from this point is the problem for newer players.

Rank 7-8 - 192 fusions, 115,200 credits

Rank 8-9 -  384 fusions, 230,400 credits

Rank 9-10 -768 fusions, 460, 800 credits

Total cost for  a max Serration:  1,534 Serration mods to fuse, 920,400 credits.

Again, this is just a simple approximation but no matter how you look at it - without having tons of rare 10 fusion cores laying around you won't be able to get these mods leveled past a certain point.

How do we fix this? Maybe adjust the curve for diminishing returns? Cap the amount of fusions it takes per level once you get to level? Or the easiest solution: take the 10 levels down to 5 or 6 and re- scale the % increases per level. 

Balancing around people that have hundreds of mods from CB laying around probably isn't the best way to go here.

Edit

Quoting possibly more accurate numbers.

Yes, those number are big. But I think you just did some error on the tabel (maybe)

Rank 0 = 0

Rank 1 = 1

Rank 2 = 2

Rank 3 = 4

Rank 4 = 8

Rank 5 = 16 (not so sure, but)

I think that duplicate double their price for rank up. (or their power got halved after each use)

So.

Rank 6 = 32

Rank 7 = 64

Rank 8= 128

Rank 9= 256

rank 10= 512

Still a great number... 1024 serration... for Rank 10...

BTW I'm stuck (fine for now) at Rank 5 (and no, I haven't find that many serration, just used some low rank fusion core).

Edited by Zyphre

I believe you confused your numbers. 0->10 is 1023 dupes.

Formula is 2 to the n'th power - 1 = dupe mods required. Where n is the rank you want the mod.

(EDIT: although you can just leave it as 2 to the n'th because you need 1 to begin with.)

Edited by DaftPansy

with the new patch raising the funds and fusion cores its rly possible as a long therm thing... i got 1 million and played a lot the last week... but within a month an average player or over 2 months a less playing player can reach this....

You don't technically NEED to have any mods. But that's not the point. If it's in the game, and it's a core skill, it shouldn't take a lifetime to max out. The balancing here is horrid, especially when you look at Serration and then realize that there's another dozen mods exactly this exaggeratedly difficult to build.

Edited by MINDOVERFATE

Well, why would anyone want to go that high anyway?  Aside from burning credits.

Because all mods have a starting energy requirement and the higher you make one the more effect you get per energy point.

Look at Hornet Strike, it goes from 20% with 4 energy req to 220% at 14.

Basically, at level 0 you get 20/4=5% per energy point, and at level 10 you get 220/14=15,71% per energy point.

And if your item has a slot with the good polarity, then it become 20/2=10% to 220/7=31,43% per EP.

For number of mods/creds, it's ruin on the other hand, but else it would be OP.

No, it would be broken.

You don't technically NEED to have any mods. But that's not the point. If it's in the game, and it's a core skill, it shouldn't take a lifetime to max out. The balancing here is horrid, especially when you look at Serration and then realize that there's another dozen mods exactly this exaggeratedly difficult to build.

I wouldn't call a damage boost a core skill. I've got my Serration at about 4 and I've had no problems when I use it on my Braton Vandal and Paris.

Our actual core skills, our abilities, only go up to 3.

I wouldn't call a damage boost a core skill. I've got my Serration at about 4 and I've had no problems when I use it on my Braton Vandal and Paris.

Our actual core skills, our abilities, only go up to 3.

Then I guess Vitality and Redirection aren't core skills either, are they? Fine, take on high-end content without them. Is it possible? Obviously, but it's not going to be as easy without health and shields - core skills. But then why bother having such high-end mods in the game? And for the record, Serration is base damage - base damage is a core skill, the skill in which all other damage-modifying skills draw their modifications from. If all mods were simply additive functions like elemental damage, I could see your point, but the current mod system is broken.

Edited by MINDOVERFATE

I can't think of a scenario where you'd actually need maxed out redirection or vitality. Or more specifically, where'd you actually want them maxed out.

Maybe in super high level defense missions I guess? But after level 5 or 6 they'll start requiring to much energy and not leave you that much room for other mods, imo.

Edited by f3llyn

Then I guess Vitality and Redirection aren't core skills either, are they? Fine, take on high-end content without them. Is it possible? Obviously, but it's not going to be as easy without health and shields - core skills. But then why bother having such high-end mods in the game? And for the record, Serration is base damage - base damage is a core skill, the skill in which all other damage-modifying skills draw their modifications from. If all mods were simply additive functions like elemental damage, I could see your point, but the current mod system is broken.

I'm not sure if you know what "core skill" means. Health and shields aren't skills, nor are they the "core" of anything. Even less so after more recent changes. We've got passive boosts to health, shields and energy now, if you didn't know. Kinda nice.

I think people are missing the fact that you don't need to max your damage boosting mods to be effective. But, that's just not an efficient answer for some of the more stat-obsessed players, is it?

Edited by FatalX7

Soloing Pluto with a Potatoed Ember that has a rank 5 (out of 10) on any mod, max.

It's fine that getting to level 10 is bullS#&$ hard.  Gives you obsessive nutters something to do =P

Edited by Nicocat

I'm not sure if you know what "core skill" means. Health and shields aren't skills, nor are they the "core" of anything.

We've got passive boosts to health, shields and energy now, if you didn't know. Kinda nice.

I think people are missing the fact that you don't need to max your damage boosting mods to be effective. But, that's just not an efficient answer for some of the more stat-obsessed players, is it?

Stop trying to be cute with reinterpreted semantics. Health and shields as well as base damage are core skills, period. In a normal RPG-based progression that this game takes its cues from, they'd be the ones you'd be putting points into with every level-up, either strength or endurance or whatever. Just because the modding system is an alteration of that doesn't change that fact, and neither does the passive boost. I don't think YOU know what "core skill" means. Mods are the only way for a player to increase their core skills through progression. You can play naked and mod-less if you want, but I'd like the ability to effectively build my character.

The cost v benefit is marginal the higher the rank. I believe the cap is set high to give the "hardcore" something to do...not neccesarily something that everyone will ever attain without considerable effort. If the cap is low, hardcore players that has completed the map and maxed their weapons will have nothing else to do.

This is similar to guildwars2 where the cost of certain racial armor that has similar stat to craftable armor takes forever to obtain...in which players were complaining that it was impossible for them to get it. Certain things are meant to be exclusive to people who are willing to put in the time.