Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Puncture Mechanic Change

DecoyCode

To clarify, I'm not talking about armor penetration, I'm referring to the mod that makes bullets pierce things.

So I got it in my head that it makes absolutely no sense for bullets to penetrate through shielded targets, and that for 10 mod slots the current bonus is almost entirely useless.

So what if we changed the effect to cause a portion of damage to completely bypass the shield? While the idea is still situational,  its still a lot more applicable. Certain bosses, Grineer heavies, and Corpus have shields that make the enemy generally harder to deal with, some more than others. Bosses would be the big one, with things like Hyena running around.

I'm fully aware ice already does bonus damage to shields, but Its not the reason people tend to take it. It gives almost universal damage and utility, with some very minor exceptions.

Its a radical idea, and I'm ready to accept that its a bad one as well, but I still feel like something has to be done with this mod. Once again, sorry If the idea was posted before, the search function is pretty temperamental with me.

How about make it penetrate objects with certain thickness?

If  enemies are in a line, and the "thickness" of the first enemy is 0.3m, and your puncture is 0.4m, your bullet will pass through the first enemy, and continue to fly, until it hit the second enemy and stop. This way, the puncture will enable you to hit a certain maximum number of targets. 

Another example is when you have puncture with 1.4 m, and each enemy is considered 0.3m in "thickness" then your bullet will penetrate through 4 enemies, and stop after hitting the 5th enemy. The hard part of this is, you have to be able to line up all the enemies, which takes skill. This also enable you to kill multiple targets, without having them next to each other. It should not be able to hit through walls though.

So to speak, your puncture distance - thickness of enemy, if it equal or less than zero, your bullet will stop. If it is greater than zero, it will continue to fly off, with the new penetration value. Rinse and repeat.

If it is changed to this way, the maximum puncture distance should be 0.7m max.

Edited by Ksdsdf

Didn't look too hard did ya? https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/30200-puncture-mods-are-still-not-worth-it/

In this post I might have suggested something similar but not just limited to shields (energy not grineer shield grunts) when I said change the module to 'phased projectile', it gains a +5%/level damage bonus and 1m/level puncture as the current mechanic stands now.