The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Use Stances To Turn Weapons Into A True Extension Of Our Warframes

(PSN)DanceOnUrGav3

As masters of combat, a tenno's weapon should be an extension of their being. How come then, do most of the weapons merely smash and slash? Shouldn't a tenno be able to use their weapon as a focus for their abilities? What I'm proposing would be a great undertaking on DE's part, but the potential payoff is also great. Inspired by the new syndicate meters that some weapons get through their new augments, this would allow a tenno to exercise it's abilities through their weapon after a meter is filled (most likely through a damage delt meter). After said meter is filled you would have the option of engaging a special buff to your weapon based off your equipped warframe. For example, a Frost welding a fragor, would be able to cause ice waves on ground slams. Or an Oberon using an orthos would make enemies explode into smite projectiles on kills.

Now I know this would need a large amount of thought about how each warframe would interact with each weapon type, but I believe this to be a method to truly feel like the "Masters of our elements" . If like to hear what you guys have to think on the subject. Thoughts? Criticisms? Additions? Have at it

93e6b7f1fb3dcfcf761c5f8fd78c24573b75a664

notionphil's melee idea would be great with this too.

Melee Changes - Charge attacks are back, with a twist, to add fun and utility to melee

• All melee weapons now have a unique Special attack that can be used in quick melee or when the weapon is equipped.

• The special attack is performed by holding and then releasing the attack button (similar to the deprecated charge attacks). Each Weapon's charge attack is different, but many relate to AoE or gap-closing attacks. For example, the Scoliac's Special, Putrid Lasso, spins the whip in a 7m circle and inflicts a forced Viral Proc.

• In order to use a Special attack with a melee weapon, you must 'charge up' the weapon by using it in combat. This typically takes 5-10 kills. When the small light near your combo counter is flashing (and when your weapon is emitting faint sparks) you can use your Special attack. 

• Kills during a melee combo, especially during complex combos, count as 2x or even 3x kills towards the special attack counter.

Edited by PseudoExis

Well, the first issue I see with the idea is whether you literally mean for us to just use our 'frame abilities 'through' the weapon directly. If so, it'd be defunct as we can pretty much get the same effect by mixing up the fighting style with a well timed power use. For example, Swirling Tiger into a mob, and after causing massive damage in an area, I can cast an AoE damage power to 'finish'. All that requires me to do is have the energy spare. I can do that any time I'm using my Saryn, Oberon, Ash~...ergo, what's 'new' here?

Ergo, what you're proposing would have to be a bit different again; keeping to a given Warframe's theme is easy enough for Elemental frames. But what then for non-elementals, like Loki, Valkyr, Excalibur? In the case of the former two, giving either of them even more advantage in melee than they possess already could prove...problematic in the long term. Fun, maybe, but problematic.

There is scope to tie things more closely together, but at most it seems likely to consider a particular 'trait' for the Channelled strikes of different Warframes. Problem is for the ones that have no clear 'Element', as mentioned, or the ever tricky situation of Trinity; as one of my favourite 'frames, I know just how awkward she can be to work with as a Pure Support frame when it comes to her powers. Giving her Life or Energy steal would be redundant, as would a Stamina drain effect. Hence you see the problem.

An interesting concept, certainly, it just needs some working out.

Well, the first issue I see with the idea is whether you literally mean for us to just use our 'frame abilities 'through' the weapon directly. If so, it'd be defunct as we can pretty much get the same effect by mixing up the fighting style with a well timed power use. For example, Swirling Tiger into a mob, and after causing massive damage in an area, I can cast an AoE damage power to 'finish'. All that requires me to do is have the energy spare. I can do that any time I'm using my Saryn, Oberon, Ash~...ergo, what's 'new' here?

Ergo, what you're proposing would have to be a bit different again; keeping to a given Warframe's theme is easy enough for Elemental frames. But what then for non-elementals, like Loki, Valkyr, Excalibur? In the case of the former two, giving either of them even more advantage in melee than they possess already could prove...problematic in the long term. Fun, maybe, but problematic.

There is scope to tie things more closely together, but at most it seems likely to consider a particular 'trait' for the Channelled strikes of different Warframes. Problem is for the ones that have no clear 'Element', as mentioned, or the ever tricky situation of Trinity; as one of my favourite 'frames, I know just how awkward she can be to work with as a Pure Support frame when it comes to her powers. Giving her Life or Energy steal would be redundant, as would a Stamina drain effect. Hence you see the problem.

An interesting concept, certainly, it just needs some working out.

for the elemental frames, I figured it wild be easiest to use some form of their abilities. As you pointed out, the non elemental frames would prove more difficult to incorporate into this system. Although I did have some tentative ideas for them. Excalibur, could get a brief period of automatic riposte finishers, loki could "back stabs" aka stealth crits, ash could have free EXTREMELY brief bladestorm, and Valkyr could carry her ripline on enemies and hysteria claw them as they are pulled in. Like I said, these are tentative ideas

for the elemental frames, I figured it wild be easiest to use some form of their abilities. As you pointed out, the non elemental frames would prove more difficult to incorporate into this system. Although I did have some tentative ideas for them. Excalibur, could get a brief period of automatic riposte finishers, loki could "back stabs" aka stealth crits, ash could have free EXTREMELY brief bladestorm, and Valkyr could carry her ripline on enemies and hysteria claw them as they are pulled in. Like I said, these are tentative ideas

Hmm...so Excalibur would get an 'execution' state, Loki would be 'sneak attack'...Those definitely sound a modest start.

Valkyr having more fun with Ripline makes sense, seeing as it is pretty much designed to bring enemies/her to the fray. I admit I got into a spate last night of seeing how accurate it is and...well, scoring headshots across a large room, pulling enemies an incredible distance is hilarious. Bonus points in that when they're on the floor, they're open to Melee finishers.

Meaning your suggestion would fully link the two; Ripline then execute with good timing as they soar towards you.

Hmm, with that vein of thought, how about the following?

Nekros: enemies killed in the 'special' state rise again as a Shadow on your side

Vauban: tags an enemy with a trap orb of some kind. Bit like the biobomb power in Prototype 2.

Limbo: drags enemies into the rift with him maybe?

Nyx: either disarm, mind control or enslave the target I guess.

Trinity: I have honestly no idea what'd be fitting. Her kit pretty much does everything you could ask for already.

Hmm...so Excalibur would get an 'execution' state, Loki would be 'sneak attack'...Those definitely sound a modest start.

Valkyr having more fun with Ripline makes sense, seeing as it is pretty much designed to bring enemies/her to the fray. I admit I got into a spate last night of seeing how accurate it is and...well, scoring headshots across a large room, pulling enemies an incredible distance is hilarious. Bonus points in that when they're on the floor, they're open to Melee finishers.

Meaning your suggestion would fully link the two; Ripline then execute with good timing as they soar towards you.

Hmm, with that vein of thought, how about the following?

Nekros: enemies killed in the 'special' state rise again as a Shadow on your side

Vauban: tags an enemy with a trap orb of some kind. Bit like the biobomb power in Prototype 2.

Limbo: drags enemies into the rift with him maybe?

Nyx: either disarm, mind control or enslave the target I guess.

Trinity: I have honestly no idea what'd be fitting. Her kit pretty much does everything you could ask for already.

I like most of those a lot. However, for nyx I would personally like to see something with psychic bolts, but they need a buff first lol. Although the whole point of this proposed system is that the effect would be different depending on the weapon and the attacks used, so both our ideas would work depending on the situation.

I can't really comment on limbo, because I'm on ps4 and haven't played him yet.

Trinity.... How about kills cause explosions similar to the bursts released by well of life and energy vampire. Trinity and nearby allies would get health and energy restored in a cool, explosive flurry