The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Semi-Fixed Since 15.1.3 ( Winxp 32Bit + Nvidia )

Khunvyel

As of 15.1.3 I could finally play several missions in a row without issues. Or almost. Reported findings are in my most recent post below.

Instead of clogging that other topic where I've been writing, I put it very specific right here. Patch 15.1.1 made it impossible for me to even get in the game. I start having bluescreens ever since 15.1.1 . Bluescreen happens after initial loading screen is done and I should get to login prompt. I NEVER bluescreen before. The game always crashed just so, most of the time giving me a WAR-######

I repeat my rig again;

SPECS: WinXP 32bit with 2GB RAM, Nvidia 430, Intel Dual Core E5700. No hardware is overclocked, all temperatures are below 65°C during full load. Naturally Running DX9.

So here is the issue that came with with 15.1.0 which is also relevant in 15.1.1 ;

I have no idea what you did, but apparently you cut down a LOT of renders that should not be affected, such as... loading screen. Is loading screen now tied to texture memory, which I have set to "low" in my settings? Or do you have any other explanation for this?

Warframe 8-bit? I would usually fully endorse it... but not as a replacement for the REGULAR game...

1_07_11_14_12_24_02.jpeg

Next thing, suddenly textures looked even more horrible in 15.1.0

I have set them to LOW pretty much ever since I played the game. I deleted the ee.cfg as suggested in one of the update notes. But can someone explain me this difference?

In both cases texture memory settings have been set to LOW. Why the sudden difference? Or rather, let me rephrase it; I wouldn't mind texture's looking crap if I could actually PLAY, but the game still crashed at that time. It held out longer than normal in the Liset, but starting a mission crashed the game so hard, I had to kill the process.

1_07_11_14_12_38_11.jpeg

Now let us get to the bluescreen introduced in 15.1.1

I've never had a bluescreen since I set up this installation of WinXP, so I didn't actually think about making the bluescreen "readable", as in; "don't restart but wait and let me look at it." What I could grasp from the flick of blue was;

nv4_disp.dll caused it - so geforce drivers - and it had some page error, can't remember which exactly, but the length suggested that it had to be a problem with memory.

The only thing I've changed since last time was updating my display drivers again to 344.48 . I might consider downgrading again, as I did in previous tests.

A new theory arising, based on what [DE]Glen said

In our lab we have an antique machine running XP with a 256MB graphics card

And I think this is exactly why you probably have less problems than some other users here.
If memory serves me correctly, WindowsXP is mirroring Vram into System RAM, so the less video memory the card has, the less issues with RAM there are going to be.

This would explain why some users with Geforce 9xxx cards on WinXP seem to have very little problems... because video memory was much less on those things. I actually consider to plug in a card myself that has only 512 MB Vram.

The issue is, now that I'm facing BLUESCREENS... the desire to risk my computers life and longevity just to help out finding the issue has dropped to almost zero. I need that machine to work and pay my bills, and I cannot afford losing it. And I also don't think anyone here is willing to pay me for a replacement if I fry my hardware on this game. And the culprit definitely is Warframe, everything else runs smooth and without trouble.

Further resources for you with plenty of WAR-###### numbers;

1.) Originally reporting the error: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/330582-liset-yellow-overlay-of-death/

2.) one in-depth test; https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/329108-warframe-seems-to-have-memory-leak-since-u15/?view=findpost&p=3767600

3.) Update to in-depth test; https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/329108-warframe-seems-to-have-memory-leak-since-u15/?view=findpost&p=3774525

4.) Downgrading graphics drivers: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/329108-warframe-seems-to-have-memory-leak-since-u15/?view=findpost&p=3780075

Edited by Khunvyel

New patch, new reports:

I haven't crashed but had to alt+f4 again as yellow artefacts started to appear all over the screen again, until there was a full yellow overlay. So the issue is still not fixed. And I will not log into Warframe until the next patch.

I stress-tested it by going into the arsenal - everything was fine up until that point. Ordis told me something and I saw his portrait being a completely yellow overlay, as I reported many days ago.

I started to click on separate Warframes to see how the game handles previewing these now, and it still is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade to Pre U14.

Before, Clicking a Warframe loaded it in about one second. Now, It takes about 6 seconds to load, the screen freezes and CPU load fires to 100% when it was 40% before. Each time I previewed a different Warframe in the Arsenal, more and more artefacts and render errors appeared on screen. Previewing the 5th Warframe caused a fullscreen yellow overlay.

I still think the issue is a combination of the introduction of PBR and graphic-cards with a lot of Vram on 32bit systems. Still hoping for an nvidia driver upgrade to possibly address this issue too.

Edited by Khunvyel

Update to the situation with newest Nvidia drivers 344.65 : No bluescreen! But still unplayable

I have also installed a different set of RAM-sticks now, 2x2GB, of which I naturally only can use 3GB for now. I have not yet used an optimization tweak there.

Improvements:

The game lasts a lot longer than before, granted, and strangely enough uses less system memory now. Even though it was just a driver update. I could log in, swap my extractors and walk to the arsenal without a single artefact.

No Ordis or Lotus transmission was automatically rendered in flat yellow.

I proceeded with the "preview Warframes in Arsenal" test. Most of them load a lot faster now. Some as instant as before, some still cause a freeze. I have the feeling this is random though. However... after the 12th preview, the first yellow artefact occurred again. Nova was completely missing, Nekros showed up as completely yellow, and Loki appeared to have a helmet as if I would have tinted this specific part in my usual orange... which is impossible, the tint mask doesn't work that way.

As I equipped Loki to see what happened by wanting to change his helmets, I noticed that none of the weapons have loaded either... which is strange because they are naturally the same weapons as I had equipped when I logged in.

The moment I wanted to select a different helmet...;

boom - insufficient video memory

Conclusion for now;

A) It still feels like the game is not unloading textures correctly, and the windows XP ram distribution does not help with that.

B) PhysX drivers have not been updated with the recent nvidia patch. I have no idea how much PhysX drivers really affect some of the PBR changes.

C) I still think it is valid to test what would happen if I stuff in a video card with less Vram. I could think the "insufficient video memory" error is not related to the video card itself, but more to how windows XP handles it. So it would be interesting to try and see what would happen to tweak RAM settings to have more user memory available but ALSO to do a second test with more SYSTEM memory available.

Edited by Khunvyel

15.1.3 fixed my issue.

I was able to play a few missions with my clan, starting to quest my way through the first Archwing stops and through the new infested quest in one sitting. I think the upgrade to 4GB (or rather 3GB) of RAM definitely helped. Physical memory peaked at 2.5 GB in use.

However, here is an interesting observation;

We've all seen the "super low resolution" stuff happening since 15.1

Now, weirdly enough, I am LOSING FPS and have weird micro-stutters inside the Liset if texture memory is set to low or medium, at least with my preferred settings of borderless window mode and vsync on. But when I turn texture memory to high, I'm seeing everything like I used to, even though the previous setting was on low. What is even weirder is; high texture resolution RESTORES that FPS loss ( about 10 FPS more ) and there are also no microstutters.

I will keep this running and report any other findings I have which are deviating from previous gameplay. Only because I can play now, doesn't mean that I should stop taking note of the issue. Especially if there is the potential of players STILL being unable to get into the game. The question is; are there still people having problems to get their Warframe fixed?

Edited by Khunvyel