Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Remove The Unlocks Warframe And Weapon Slots

Zaxc

you can just as easily sell some of your stuff and lvl something else?

its not that hard to get weapons and you can always store blueprints to build it again later, there you just got another source of mastery  not to mention that mastery rank doesn't mean anything past 4.

also i wouldnt be too surprised if getting a free slot or two might be something they do for particularly big patches down the road.

lastly, how are they making any money at all? you can get access to everything in the game except for purely cosmetic stuff, and that's currently just colors and stuff for your sntinal.

where are the threads suggesting possible sources or money? id like to play this in the long term, not have the game be reduced to servers held together by duck-tape and a patch every blue moon when the stars around the Orion constellation a line to form a beam of pure energy that will materialize new content.

as magic seems to be how people expect this game to get finished and maintained.

Do you keep the mastery points from weapons you sell?

Yes. Mastery points are not tied to any specific sellable weapon, only to the best rank you've ever gotten in each weapon model. 

So if you start with a Lato pistol and get it from rank 0->10, you'll get 1000 mastery points in the process.

If you sell it, you still have those 1000 mastery points.

If you buy a new Rank-0 Lato, you won't get any new mastery points from using it until you reach Rank 11 and above, because you "already did" Ranks 0-10 in Lato.

Edited by HvcTerr

I for one have no problem with buying slots for weapons and Warframes. 12 Platinum is roughly a dollar, and I'm willing to keep buying Platinum for slots in $5 increments. This game has been fantastic from the get go, and while I can admit it's gotten a little repetitive after about 200 hours, I'm willing to support DE.

How about the ability to "archive" weapons and warframes?  Rather than deleting them if you don't want to buy a slot you can add them to a special storage unit that you can't retrieve them from freely.  In order to use them again you would need to wait a certain amount of time and then use a rare item, similar to a catalyst, to place them in one of your open slots.  In this way slots increase the number of frames/weapons you have available and still cost money, but the alternative isn't to delete what you've accomplished thus far.  This removes the risk of getting rid of an old frame and ending up with something you don't like, but it also encourages you to buy some slots (and possibly the retrieval item if you don't want to wait until you find one) when you end up with several frames that you like but can't play at once.

Edited by Effusion-

So you want take away another way of income for DE... Not that cool.

You might get an extra slot every 2  mastery ranks. Thats enough I think.

typical of a guy who fail to see the big picture and plan long term rentability, as a f2p if you limit the progression you limit the number of payers who are going to play the game and you fail to be really successful on the long term and here's why :

f2p need to make people play and spend A LOT of hours to a certain point when people will have invested so much time on the game that it feels natural for them to spend some money on it, that's how the most succesful f2p work. Others which just try to force players to pay to unlock the game and progression actually just force a minority of players to pay, other players will just leave the game they've played only for 15h.

Edited by Soulfighter

Imagine if EA was behind this game.

Okay you got me.

But I still support a mastery level unlock system. 1 weapon slot every 1/2 ranks and 1 warframe slot every 3/4 ranks sounds fine. At this rate, you'll be able to unlock some breathing room (the starting amount is pretty tight) but you'll probably have to pay to get past the 4th warframe slot, out of 12. That's 8 warframe slots you still need to buy, and god knows how many weapon slots.

typical of a guy who fail to see the big picture and plan long term rentability, as a f2p if you limit the progression you limit the number of payers who are going to play the game and you fail to be really successful on the long term and here's why :

Like i said.

Well but just because a game is free to play doesnt mean it has to give away everything for free....

Free slots for progression and play time are something I really support, but some people want every stuff for free...

I dont say you are one of them, but some others do unfortunately....

You should read my other posts before talking stuff like "fails to see the big picture".....

Edited by Venarge

nah you do fail. People who want to have progression stuff for free is fine, as i said, if you think that's not you just fail to understand how f2p work. It's all about drawing the maximum number of people to get some of the people who will spend some money on it and get the minority of poeple (called "whales" by f2p economists) who aren't very bright to spend hundreds of dollars

Edited by Soulfighter

nah you do fail. People who want to have progression stuff for free is fine, as i said, if you think that's not you just fail to understand how f2p work. It's all about drawing the maximum number of people to get some of the people who will spend some money on it and get the minority of poeple (called "whales" by f2p economists) who aren't very bright to spend hundreds of dollars

You already get every item/weapon/skin..

Slots for leveling up will most likely be the only thing they will do and thats good. After that, you have 5 extra slots for level 10 mastery. If that isnt enough pay.

Slots for leveling up will most likely be the only thing they will do and thats good. 

you don't know that, it hasn't been implemented and there's no official plan to implement it. As far as we are concerned we won't get warframe/weapon slots for leveling and that's why we're posting.

you don't know that, it hasn't been implemented and there's no official plan to implement it. As far as we are concerned we won't get warframe/weapon slots for leveling and that's why we're posting.

They mentioned that they noticed the slot thing and think about a solution.

And the mastery thing would make perfect sense. This way you actually have to play to get slots.

Win win....

Came to the forums for this topic specifically. The fact that I essentially have to buy my weapons three times (weapon, potato, weapon slot) if I choose to buy them with Plat seriously inhibits my Platinum spending. 

I'd have bought every weapon in the game all ready if I didn't have to buy the weapon slots for them as well.  

End result as it stands; less money for DE. 

Edited by Amp1

you see^^ I told you so...

just because YOU can pay money for a game dose not mean others can.

Those without money should be thankfull and not b*tchin around.

Actually thank us players who spent money on warframe for giving players with no money the oportunity to play a great game like warframe.

come on guys let's talk about P2W  a bit, thats fun

Problematic topic.

As far as I understand, unlocking slot via credit is not feasible method. With the value of credit is still fluctuating, creating a fixed price for slot isn't going to be an option for long term 'renting' space. The better solutions are slot tied with the actual play.

1. Mastery rank - gaining mastery rank automatically gives you more slot. Is this a viable solution? Probably for the first few levels. However, there is a limit of how many slots you can have. You won't be able to 'collect' everything in the game, that's for sure. At some point, there will be a topic about 'increasing slot gain per mastery rank' showed up on the forum. We will be going over this slot topic again.

2. Gaining by the actual time spent in the game. Count it by hours spent in the game and gain slot according to it. It will be a grindfest but it will encourage players to actually play the game. However, prepare for hundred of hours spent in the game for your next slot.

Either way, the grind require to gain slot for F2Per must be proportionate to the price of said slots. There is no such thing as free lunch.

Just saying: the whole "pay for slots" thing is what worries me aswell.

To take this first: I do pay for F2P games, after they manage to assure me I will like them for a long time and they "outweigh" the costs of getting another singleplayer game every month. I paid a lot for LoL and quite some for Tribes, starting to buy stuff after playing them for 1.5 years and 1 year respectively (you could consider me a "late payer" But i do so consistently after starting it). Now Warframe is a problematic thing for me at the moment, I sold my first Warframe after 3 weeks and had to sell a weapon to free up a slot for the second viper of my dual vipers (I effectively had to sell 2 weapons for 1) already.

And yet, I feel unsure if this will keep me here. They are adding Warframes, they are adding weapons. Potatoes are hard to come by when not paying (I got my fair share through ?-reward grinds). On the long run I faced that this game will have a certain end for me, namely the moment I don't feel intrigued to sell beloved frames to try out the ones I trust less in. I also don't want to feel beaten to free slots to level things i don't want to just to get mastery ranks. Now that I have 2 new frames and almost all weapon slots full, I already play scarcely compared to the time before I "met my limits". I don't like to plan to purchase things now, because i have to forfeit just-completed things. the "get items from raiding for what? to raid!"-schematic is not really working for me here. 

Now, with the freedom to build all the stuff, I would grind the game to hardly an end, and eventually spend money on customisation in terms of skins and hard-to-get thingies and colour templates. But as it is now. After those 2 frames I made for 2 playstyles.... what to USE those playstyles on? The moment I use my frames to farm for new ones I doom them.

Paying to elongate my stay is something that is not exactly clear to me.
I pay to play longer to pay to play longer? Instead of just playing a long time and spending some bucks in the meantime on stuff that makes this long time even more enjoyable? Because if I have to pay to play longer, why would I do so if I can just "shorten" the stay and use the money on things that are.. well... funner, even considering I like this game?

Edited by Jedrow

f2p need to make people play and spend A LOT of hours to a certain point when people will have invested so much time on the game that it feels natural for them to spend some money on it, that's how the most succesful f2p work. Others which just try to force players to pay to unlock the game and progression actually just force a minority of players to pay, other players will just leave the game they've played only for 15h.

Exactly, I have invested into this game, but I felt that buying that weapon slot was the most unrewarding thing I did so far.

Lets evaluate human reaction, if I have no slots, what could I be thinking in my head?

-  Man I should totally buy a new slot and get more gear (obviously the top choice for those who do not understand this post)

-  "I'll wait to buy that slot, until a weapon I really want come out, this one is nice, I could get it, but then i'd have to buy an other slot, the orokin...will wait"

As you can see in the previous reaction, the player starts rejecting the game, he will start mostly leveling his stuff and stop caring too much about schematics or purchases unless he finds something really awesome. This behavior inhibits him from purchasing more gear which in the end, makes less money for the company.

What you have to understand from the F2P model is that usually 1% to 3% of the population are paying members, the other 97% are usually players that will never pay for the game, however, those 97% bring with them the 3% that will pay for everyone, some of them are normal payers while others are considered "whales" and will purchase everything in the game, those people are the kind of people that any F2P server like because they are the one paying for the servers. It is very important to keep good care of your 97%, as they will bring those who have the money to you.

When you limit the amount of time free players play, you limit the number of people they can bring to the game and by correlation, the number of paying people you get to the game. This limits the game itself and the profit it can make.

Suppose you add a new weapon slot with every 6000 mastery points. (Only points from weapons, not from frames.)

Then for every 2 weapons you get to rank 30, you can perma-keep one of them. (Unless you spent platinum.)

If that sounds too stingy, bring the limit down to 4500 and you can keep 2/3rds, or if it's too generous, bump it up, etc.

Edited by HvcTerr

The only real argument I have against this is that the stipend alotted to all beginning players is enough to cover at least 1 additional warframe slot (total 3) and 4 weapon slots.

If anything, the slot expansions are currently the only reasonably priced platinum costs in the game at present.  Players really insistent on maxing out all of the frames (assuming they want to) should be encouraged to sink in this small cost - if for no other reason than that it's a pretty small cost.

The probleme here is not on the small cost, its mostly a question of player retention and the fact you are paying for someone which is not fun. I'd rather buy an orokin catalyst than a slot if you see what I mean, it seems from a player stand point much more fun to double the power of your warframe than just unlock the slot to put it in.

Given the prices, it's pretty easy to do both.  5 bucks nets you two frame slots+ catalysts, or just 4 slots.

I understand what is being argued, but...It's a rather low cost.  Arguably the only series of worthwhile costs on the market.

Given the prices, it's pretty easy to do both.  5 bucks nets you two frame slots+ catalysts, or just 4 slots.

I understand what is being argued, but...It's a rather low cost.  Arguably the only series of worthwhile costs on the market.

you do realize that nowaday with steam and promotions you can actually get complete high quality games for 10 bucks right ?

not saying it's not worth it to spend some money into warframe but 5 bucks to get 4 warframe slots ? that's just laughable. For that price i'd want to unlock all the slots necessary for all the warframes and weapons (they're just slots damnit)

they real way to make a lot of money is to make lot of awesome cool skins (with no stat bonuses) and make them buyable with platinum only

Edited by Soulfighter

Though I do not agree with the OP’s solution/request, I totally understand the ‘emotion’ that is triggering this response.

When you purchase something “in game”, it is usually a ‘physical’ object you get to use to have fun with (weapon, sentinel, warframe, etc.)  Buying storage space feel like wasted money (or at least has no fun value attached) because you aren’t really walking away with anything new and cool to “use”.   It’s storage space.  Kind of blah on the excite-o-meter.

So I get it the sentiment.

That being said, let me agree with the majority of the replies against the suggestion to change the “pay for a slot”.  This is a FREE game.  You can totally play without more slots than originally given.   Consider the current beta a large scale ‘sample’ of the game – it lets you try out just a few warframes.   Get hooked?  Want more?  Okay, that IS going to be a few bucks.  After years of their game development (for my many hours of enjoyment) that isn’t much to ask. 

And if a few extra real dollars on my part will keep this great game healthy and alive, then I’m happy to help.  I can’t imagine anyone who has played and found this game enjoyable will suddenly walk away perturbed due to (being given free slots) but not enough of them. And I put my money where my mouth is - check out the Master icon hanging by my name.

Peace.  (Unless I’m in my Warframe…)