The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Space Looks Really Lively

Sunder

Another Example:

<snip>

Even with massive light pollution...the "bigger" stars remain visible. Let's not forget that an atmosphere will further mess with this vision. In space you will see stars...even if you look in the direction of the sun. 

Of course you wouldnt see stars directly around the sun....but it's still possible.

This is taken from on-planet though. Light has plenty to bounce off of.

The point is in space, light just travels, it doesn't reflect cause there's nothing there to reflect off of.

So of course you're going to see stars down here, even with light pollution

But in space,if they have light path to the sun, no. This includes lunar dust, close satellites, etc.

The reason is contrast. The sun as viewed from near Earth has an apparent magnitude of -26.7. The brightest star, Sirius, is a -1.5. Since the magnitude scale is inverse log, that means that the sun is 10^25 times brighter than the next brightest star. That amount of light swamps the available contrast of the eye.

Edited by Smac

Then what is your point?

Astronauts have confirmed they can see stars while they are in space. (And they should know, they have been there).

Even with light pollution you can see stars, albeit less clear. 

Warframe is set far in the future...who knows how we actually see the universe.

The only thing that DE should improve is "how dark" space actually looks....it's a little too pale for my personal taste...but that is the artstyle they chose.

P.s. from a scientific standpoint...Interstellar should be laughed at...nothing more.

Edited by Shehriazad

Then what is your point?

My point is, space looks way too..."lively".

It should be way darker, any time we face a planet or the sun --with how close we are to the planet and the sheer intensity of the sun, we shouldn't be seeing anything but blackness till we turn away. And yes this would apply all the way down to the farther "planets". The sun really is just that grossly incandescent. (Praise it)

And yes, Interstellar from a scientific standpoint is laughable. But it's an adventure movie that has to do with the celebration of science and love. That made it a good one in my book.

1) Interstellar is completely irrelevant.

2) Gameplay > realism.

Space in this game should stay lively. And livelier = better

1) I know, I was just using the scenes in space for an example of the lighting

2) An opinion that you state as fact.

I, -personally, would prefer a more realistic space. The lighting would be way more dramatic and would really make the celestial bodies seem all the more vast. All I've been saying is it wouldn't be hard to make a "realistic" space option for Warframe.

So why isn't our space the same way? Why can we see what looks likes other galaxies in the distance?

What do you guys think? Should we have an option available to switch to a "realistic" space? Only things to be seen are large masses that catch the suns shine?

Because, while blackness is the realistic way, being a humanoid wearing a pair of mechanical wings flying around at 400km\h (That's what Red Text stated to be the speed achieved by Archwings.) turns off enough of my 'suspension of disbelief' to have me appreciate the stars and galaxies in the background.

This is not 'Space Simulator DE edition', I'm perfectly fine by having a beautiful background to look at while in open space.

AGAIN...EYES > LENSES (in this scenario)

Human eyes CAN and WILL see stars in while in space (as confirmed by astronauts...google it) because unlike most camera lenses...eyes can handle multiple different strength light sources. 

yep this guy is right, pictures in OP were of brightly light planet one of them even had sun it it, of course the camera will adjust to their brightness and would not pick up dim stars around. I tried taking pictures of moon with my camera and they were exactly like that, moon in black background, I increased brightness and then camera picked up stars, but moon was as bright as sun lol

2) An opinion that you state as fact.

It's almost a fact. Warframe is not ARMA. Warframe was never about realism — the theme of space ninjas itself, super-powers, bows and katanas, all other things that make Warframe unique are mostly unrealistic. And it's fine this way.

Edited by AlienOvermind

I made a thread about the skybox myself. I find it to be too cluttered. I really don't like it. Which is a great shame because I find looking at stars to be the most calming and romantic thing in the world. Some games has even managed to give me that feeling, but Warframe hasn't. It just looks too fake. And not an unrealistic fake, but a bad quality fake.

Here if you want to look:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/345191-new-improved-skybox-de-any-chance-we-will-ever-get-one/