Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making Us Care About Our Sentinels / Increase Immersion

Luxangel7

So I apologize for technically reposting this, but I included this idea in a previous post that was probably too long and no one even ever answered about it since it was at the end. So here goes.

A pet we care about.

Sentinels are great. They're awesome really. Especially with the last pack of cosmetic updates and additions, I think you've really done a great job on them and I hope to always see more and what you come up with. (The more I can make mine look like a floating gundam baby, the better. haha)

However, wouldn't it be really nice if you had just a little bit of dialogue from your pet to show that it has its own little borderline self aware AI? This would be relatively easy to achieve and I believe would really add some depth to the way we look at our sentinels. 

First, to have your sentinel interact with you all you would need as an in game resource would be to create an icon to pop on screen like when the lotus or enemy boss talks to you and insert a sound clip of any of the noises a sentinel makes while having the text show up.

Off the top of my head I could see two, maybe three opportunities for the sentinel to pop up and "talk" to you, although at the discretion of the devs they could obviously see more/less opportunities. At mission start, upon objective completion, and upon sentinel death. Not only this, the more you level up the sentinel, the more you could slightly change the dialogue to hint or show that the sentinel is becoming self aware. Examples for their "dialogue" could be the following:

Level 1 Wyrm dialogue: (each scenario I give two possibilities seperated by quotes and / )

Mission start - "Primary directive: Engage hostiles...executing" / "This one is ready to serve" 

Objective Completion - "Exfil protocols engaged" / "Priority designated: Extraction"

Sentinel Death - "Damage has exceeded self repair protocols" / "Rebirth protocol enabled: uploading to Lotus mainframe"

Level 20-30 Wyrm Dialogue:

Mission Start - "Our enemies shall fall" / "This one fights for you"

Objective Completion - "We must proceed to extraction" / "The lotus will be pleased"

Sentinel Death - "This one...I...cannot continue" / "Please survive, master"

The key to not making this feel stale and repetitive would be to have a LARGE set of dialogue options for EACH sentinel, both with their own personality (warrior, agressive for wyrm and monk, 'quiet' for shade) and make it so that the dialogue is not guaranteed to show up at every possible scripted opportunity. This would be relatively easy to achieve, due to the nature of the audio dialogue of a sentinel, and how it's essentially just a bunch of beeps and sound effects. (no voice acting)

I realize that this suggestion goes a little more into inserting something more "visible" into the game, and I hope whoever reads this understands that my suggestion is just to be able to relate, and therefore, care about our sentinels. Not to step on any fans toes, but in part its the reason why so many of us fell in love with R2D2 from star wars, sure he(it) may have been a short rounded hunk of metal alloy, but its interactions with the characters could be mirrored in a way with my idea in the sense that the Tenno (us) will understand the sentinel via the litte pop ups in game, even though the noises they are making to communicate are obviously not anything we can understand, and the fact that we get to see hints and notions of a true self awareness that ends up wanting to protect and die (sort of) for us makes it all the more engrossing and ups the immersion factor.

And if you're really afraid people wouldn't like it, you could always make a little check box option in the settings menu to disable "Sentinel Interactions" or whatever you would like to call it.

Edit: as many people have brought this up and honestly I can't believe it slipped my mind when I was thinking of this, it would also be nice if we could name our pet while in the arsenal screen, even if only just to know that we gave it a name <:)

Edited by LuxAngel7

Those communication options are great - especially the death ones. A lot more interaction is something that is badly needed to increase utility and the player's sense on connection with their Sentinel. I couldn't care less about "dress-up" options, this isn't Barbie's Dream House. 

I'd like mine to be a sarcastic Brit. Or a pokemon would be awesome possum too.
I'd totally be yelling SHADE I CHOOSE YOU! at the beginning of every mission.
EDIT: Or you know what, a smexy lady voice would be awesome too, complimenting my amazing skills and manlyness. :3

Edited by Greene413

I'd like mine to be a sarcastic Brit. Or a pokemon would be awesome possum too.

I'd totally be yelling SHADE I CHOOSE YOU! at the beginning of every mission.

A sarcastic brit pokemon. I'd pay good money for this,,,

I'd love a bit of humor added to the sentinels. Currently they're damn useful and I notice the difference between playing with them and playing without them. I don't think I really "care" about them though, so giving them some personality would definitely be a good thing.

If idle, I also want the Tenno to pick it up and cuddle it.

This along with the subsequent user's suggestion of a little comedic relief like with his idea for smacking it after it impersonates the lotus are actually great things I didn't think about.

Idle animations could really up the immersion facto by a LOT, even though it obviously implies a little more in the sense of dev resources being spent, because they have to animate it.

Thank you to everyone's feedback, I appreciate it all even if someone didn't necessarily agree with my idea or thought it was rubbish. :)

Love this idea, they should tottaly make noises or text bubbles.

I bet our Sentinels save our lives countless of times while we don't even notice it.

Should have them say something when they recover your shield or such.

Like: "Shield is down, restoring.."

Why not add Sentinel naming? A name tag item, like in TF2. 

I know I'd be upset if Mr. Fluffy Wyrm bit the dust.

Already call the Wyrm Obama.

Sneaking in a ship, there's a lone man.

"Time for a stealth kill."

Wyrm: PEW PEW PEW

"We've been spotted! Ready your weapons."

"Thanks, Obama."

Love this idea, they should tottaly make noises or text bubbles.

I bet our Sentinels save our lives countless of times while we don't even notice it.

Should have them say something when they recover your shield or such.

Like: "Shield is down, restoring.."

Thanks for your supporting the idea! I'm glad to see so many people liking where this is going, and I completely totally agree with you, when they take actions it would be a perfect opportunity for them to chime in and say something, this way it would serve two purposes:

a) Let's us know when they do something

b) Another factor for immersion

Especially regen, I have no frigin clue when my sentinel revives, but it would be the perfect opportunity for the sentinel "face" to pop up on screen and be like "Emergency nano repair protocol engaged" or something

Why not add Sentinel naming? A name tag item, like in TF2. 

I know I'd be upset if Mr. Fluffy Wyrm bit the dust.

Oh my little Slim SHADEy would be so pleased with this idea.

Also, what about a serious female robotic voice, kinda like cortana? eh? good? :D

Whenever I see anything mention immersion I just want to scream at them. Stop using that term. Stop it stop it stop it.

And no, I would not want random chatter from my sentinel. It will get repetitive and it will get boring. And it will certainly not "increes mah immershun".

Sentinel names can't possibly hurt though. Rule of thumb: cosmetic stuff is fine, stuff that has the potential to become annoying = not fine.

Edited by krisp

Whenever I see anything mention immersion I just want to scream at them. Stop using that term. Stop it stop it stop it.

And no, I would not want random chatter from my sentinel. It will get repetitive and it will get boring. And it will certainly not "increes mah immershun".

Sentinel names can't possibly hurt though. Rule of thumb: cosmetic stuff is fine, stuff that has the potential to become annoying = not fine.

I believe the OP addressed people like you with the closing statement:

And if you're really afraid people wouldn't like it, you could always make a little check box option in the settings menu to disable "Sentinel Interactions" or whatever you would like to call it.