Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Playing Outside Your Warframe

FierceRadiance

First of all, credit where credit is due.  This idea springs from something Lactamid posted down a ways in another thread, and it's his idea, not mine.  I'm just running with it, and I post it here simply for publicity's sake.

What if Tenno were forced to get out of their Warframe for a portion of a level, to obtain some crucial piece of intelligence, grab a really rare Orokin artifact, rescue a prisoner, something along these lines? 

It would only be for a relatively brief period -the game IS called Warframe, after all- and it would only be available on a small number of levels.  Perhaps any drops obtained during that portion of the level would be better than average, and the section should be hard.

Make up some reason why your Warframe doesn't/won't/can't function (Corrosive gas!  Tight spaces!  Heavy gravity keyed specifically to Warframes!) and you have to run around for a brief time like Naked Nick or Naked Nicki.  Maybe the guns could be too heavy/unwieldy/whatever to take with you, and you'd have to reply strictly on your melee weapon. The section would be much harder because you'd be HUGELY more vulnerable without your armor, shields and powers.  Imagine the screen slowly fading through red to black as you become 'infested', or how a single clip from a Grineer you normally take down without a thought now spreads your innards across the floor....  The camera pans down as you look at yourself, and suddenly--like Darth Maul, you're no longer in one piece.  Yikes.

Such a section or level could also function in the future as a challenge of one kind or another, maybe for a clan banner or Warframe tatoo or similar.

I think the idea offers a lot of possibilities, including an almost necessity for stealth, which many players have expressed an interest in.  The art assets are already extant in-game, DE would just have to cede control to the player and equip Nick/Nicki with the appropriate melee weapon.

I think Lactamid's on to something.

The idea in itself is... interesting, but I somewhat dislike the idea of anything about the Tenno being revealed. If you have a specific image of them in your mind, having to get out of your suit and see that your image is so different would be vastly immersion breaking.

An alternative possibility is simply the Warframe being disabled, perhaps as a result of interference by Orokin tech. The Warframe becomes effectively nothing but a pretty suit, but you don't have to get out of it.

I dont want to see anything under my warframe. I want to keep it a mystery and if i do see something then its not gonna be what i imagined for my whole life. Im dreading the day they lift their masks....

But if it does happen i still wont quit, i will just have less interest in the immersibility of the game.