The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Defense Mission Layouts

ScorpDK

I wanted to comment on the various defense missions I've played so far (I dunno if the very late-game ones have different designs, but I still haven't gotten access to Ceres, Eris, etc.

We all know the game is about Co-Op, but not always do you have your team online and you may not want to run the map with random PUGs or have bad internet at the time you play this, so Solo-Mode is your way to go. However, not all of the defense maps are equally viable in both Single and Multiplayer modes.

Since the maps haven't been labeled yet AFAIK (hint, hint, Devs. Give defense maps a name so we can talk about them easier) I'll refer to them by the general layout style.

"The Base" (artifact located in the center of a small outpost, with arches around it and several cave and building entrances) - First one I ever played. It offers a decent amount of space to navigate and enough objects around the objective to break the enemies' line of sight and give you some cover. It is very balanced for both attackers and defenders, IMO.

"The Catwalks" (the map with the huge descend in the middle where enemies spawn from the far side and make their way around to attack the Stasis-Pod/Cryo-Chamber) - Definitely my favorite. It is fun to defend and you can easily try to go very far even while solo, you never feel like the enemy is getting an unfair advantage.

"The Installation" (Red-Lit Ship interior) - Also very fun to play, with sufficient cover and the artifact located in a place that gives the defenders some breathing room. It's small and dynamic, but still gives some exploration chances.

Now for the ones I don't like: (personal preference, some of you might actually love these)

"The Reactor Core" (Asteroid Interior with the large Orokin Reactor) - Defenders are at great disadvantage here, the artifact can be shot at from literally anywhere, the attackers come from all directions and have too much cover. Defenders spent most of the time running in circles trying to find the enemy that are either hiding or firing from all across the room at the artifact.. One of the hardest maps for solo, since you can't stand on the objective and turn around to see where the enemy is shooting from and retaliate. So you have to be really fast and accurate to take down the enemy before they waste the artifact.

"The Crossfire" (artifact located in the center of 4 canyons/tunnels with catwalks, platforms and elevated terrain everywhere) - where to start? This one is another example of "attackers have all the advantage". Once more they can come from 4 (or more) directions, while the defenders have to cover all around themselves. For Solo-Play, this is somewhat easier than the reactor one, since you can stand on the artifact you protect and turn around to snipe people. However, defenders have pretty much no cover at all unless they go out of their way and leave the artifact unprotected.

Either way, I would like to hear YOUR feedback on these maps, such as suggestions, balancing ideas, etc.

Just to say your naming is somewhat wierd.....

But I can tell from your descriptions what base you are on about

Just to clarify how a group of friends have named them

Catwalks --- > Bridges (cause they are bridges!)
Installation ---> Hangar

Reactor Core --> Asteroid.

Crossfire (where you get this name from?) ---> Small Outpost

Hanger - Not too bad though it could do with some tweaking

Asteriod - I like it, it makes the Paris / Snipetron worth taking despite lack of ammo at times

Small Outpost - Hate it, its a crap map too much cover for the defenders and one shockwave MOA can ruin everything or a sudden charge of disruptors as you simple don't have to the time to kill them all.

Bridges - By far the best and the most sensible for a defense map.

Base - Isn't too bad though its not as good as Bridges.